Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Recent content by Glop_dweller

1. Glop_dweller

Why bugthesda can't design a proper gun?

I think that they design terrible games on purpose, for the L.C.D. mentality. Their purpose is profit by selling simplistic ego-empowerment ———at the expense of ALL else; and it usually works for them. They are not stupid, their management is just amoral. :( It actually takes a lot of...
  2. Glop_dweller

Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor

The thief PC cannot stray from the party... like eight feet away and the game complains; WTH!? The zombies were plausible at first; sprinters after the patch. :( Otherwise it's a beautiful looking game.
  3. Glop_dweller

Nobody wants to Die

...And that's the answer to your question; that's why. If Blade Runner hadn't been good, then no one would be dreaming about it, or trying to make it happen. We don't see anyone trying to make SpaceHunter, Cherry2000, or Gattaca happen.
  4. Glop_dweller

Are developers too dumb to make good RPGs without publisher oversight?

Was it just me, or did Jowood's intro video cause horrendous frame drops when starting their games?
  5. Glop_dweller

Are developers too dumb to make good RPGs without publisher oversight?

At one time [in the US] the automatic transmission was a luxury option, and a manual stick shift transmission could save you a few thousand off of the purchase price. Now the manual transmission costs more than the automatic—and simply alerting potential car thieves of it can serve as effective...
  6. Glop_dweller

In CRPGs, simulation IS the DM, and CRPGs are adventure sims

In Planescape the Nameless is a 25th level character in every available class—but an amnesiac. In the Witcher 1 it is similar; unfortunately. Nameless' condition of losing himself (a bit) with each physical death seems fitting to the setting, and gives the mechanics of plausibly picking it all...
  7. Glop_dweller

A roleplaying game is not impaired by providing a character role. Planescape comes first to mind, as it is the best RPG that I am aware of. An original user generated PC is not required as the mechanics of an RPG are unchanged whether or not the PC is an original player character or one provided...
  8. Glop_dweller

Do people actually do that? That's a costume quest IMO; I have never played a roleplaying game where I pretended to be someone [personally] in that virtual world. *The operative word being some—one. Do you mean acting out a personality or a profession? IE. playing oneself as a wizard, or...
  9. Glop_dweller

"Role-Playing" Games that are an Example of the Illusion of Free Choice

All that an RPG would need is to have plausible NPC reaction to the character's direct and indirect actions in the world, and of course having the PC be limited to their stats & abilities. Their limits need not improve over time (though improvement usually preferable); even so the PC's...
  10. Glop_dweller

Why not? Imagine a Witcher game where Geralt graduates as a competent adventurer... Does he really need to improve past graduation? Fallout doesn't have stat progression. *I am not stating that these mechanics don't make for a better game, they do, but I do not believe that they define a game...
  11. Glop_dweller

One can make an RPG with no leveling up, and no getting XP. It is simply what the character would do in situ; Papillon —the RPG— might not be that exciting, but every day the character would have the choice to eat, to pace (or not) in his cell, shadow box the chain, and talk to those in the...
  12. Glop_dweller

What was the last game you were genuinely hyped for?

Bard's Tale remaster, by Krome studios, and I was pleasantly surprised with their result; far far more positively than with InXile's Bard's Tale 4. :( (...Which was hastily polished shit.)
  13. Glop_dweller

The Witcher 1 Thread

This is (at times ;)) a gross simplification. While it often does technically play out like that, in RPGs it depicts the character's personal ability to achieve success in combat; you point, they punch—they fail if inept or unlucky; which is as it always should be in an RPG... as opposed to a...
  14. Glop_dweller

The Witcher 1 Thread

Combat was (of course) the best part of the game; later it being the most damaging changed/omission/simplification to the series ( among the unfortunate many :( ). This adversely affected both sequels—ruining the mechanics, and the atmosphere of those sequels by ultimately making it impossible...
  15. Glop_dweller

Legend of Grimrock 2

Yes. Also play this one: http://www.grimrock.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=6453 before you play the second game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom