Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Recent content by grotsnik

1. grotsnik

Editorial RPG Codex Editorial: Without Map, Compass, or Destination - MRY on RPG Writing

MRY, I get that you don't want to get into a debate about the merits of Tides of Numenara, but I do find it strange that so much of what you've written about RPG dialogue structure and style not coming with a roadmap...specifically does not apply to the game that kicked off this article in the...
  2. grotsnik

RPG Codex Interview: Chris Avellone on Pillars Cut Content, Game Development Hierarchies and More

Only at the Codex do you feel like you’re following a Mad Max chase sequence when you’re reading a 50-page thread. Batshit and extraordinary. Honestly really glad to hear you’re happier now, Chris - looking forward to seeing what comes next.
  3. grotsnik

NWN Neverwinter Nights (NWN & NWN2) Modules Thread

Demon is probably the least deserving of those, for me - although I haven’t played 2003 or 2004. All of Miller’s campaigns beyond the first one were, to some extent, a loose grab-bag of novelties and scripting tricks (ones that were, mind you, far beyond anything else anyone was capable of with...
  4. grotsnik

NWN Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition - Beamdog's final enhancement - now with new premium modules

You know, I can appreciate the commercial sense of taking the Infinity Engine games, giving them a lick of paint, and billing them as ‘accessible and modernised’ with a flurry of press coverage to hook in new players. What I don’t understand is how Beamdog hopes to retain press and player...
  5. grotsnik

Nah. There were a couple of demo modules released, but I remember them being a bit of a mess.
  6. grotsnik

NWN2 OC was not bad as people make it out

The thing about the orc caves, though: it's not just that they were overlong dungeons without real encounter variety using monotonous brown tilesets, reached after traversing monotonous mountain corridor levels. It's also that they appeared in the context of NWN2OC's weird-ass plot structure...
  7. grotsnik

Yeah, and in retrospect I don't even think its terraforming tools were that bad. Compare to later editors in the same vein like the Dragon Age toolset (where you needed to tediously render each area's lighting before it was properly useable, making testing a nightmare) and the various Bethesda...
  8. grotsnik

I think one of the enduringly weird things about the NWN1 dialogue tool is that there's no one-click way to make conversation options appear once only - you have to add in a pair of scripts every time. I'm guessing it's an oversight that came from the game's multiplayer focus, but it's such an...
  9. grotsnik

2017/09/27 - Mask of the Betrayer is now a decade old.

Up next: why Mephasm's positive characterisation is an atheistic insult that shakes the hallowed and immutable foundations of Catholicism uhhhh Realmslore.
  10. grotsnik

Fallout 3: Van Buren (Spoilers!)

I actually still have a bunch of xml conversation files I'd offered to write for these guys 3 years ago before it all fell apart (drafts for Denver and a couple of companons) - so if someone ever does start working on it again, hit me up. Might shave a decade or two off the 2098 release.
  11. grotsnik

Nothing massively controversial - I'm only two chapters in but it's been a really positive, eye-opening experience so far. I'm a sloppy enough player, especially with resource management, that I was expecting a frustrating 'git gud' slog. But Swordflight is actually very good at guiding you...
  12. grotsnik

With something like Q, I'd just remember that it's another big package that players will have to download and install separately, which is likely to put some people off. Not the end of the world, sure, especially if you just want to have fun creating something, but with NWN's community being...
  13. grotsnik

Revisiting VtM: Bloodlines

The #1 thing I'd want to see in a new VtM game is a more involved level of politics, power struggles and backstabbing, but I can concede that there's only so much that's possible (with up to seven main clans to represent, plus the Sabbat or Anarchs) for your voiced, detailed...
  14. grotsnik

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Thread

I think the fuss over MotB's scaled enemies is kind of overblown, tbh. Sure, they unforgivably bumped up the stats of some armoured dogmen beyond the immutable realism of its fantasy realm, so that it takes you a few goes to knock them over. You're also in a small town where the merchants have...
  15. grotsnik

Wasteland Wasteland 3 Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

I'd put it this way: there's goofy, and then there's dumb. Goofy is straightforward, easy to grasp, and fun. Usually, it's set-up or just plain window dressing. Dumb is giving your player an in-depth, plot-based problem to solve and presenting a solution that's tortuous, unclear, or just plain...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom