Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Recent content by Gylfi.Fenriz.Conquests

1. Gylfi.Fenriz.Conquests

Preview Cyberpunk 2077 Night City Wire Episode 1: The Gig Trailer, Braindance Gameplay Footage and Previews

we can't tell if the game's any good but i don't have high hopes. Every big title today is popamole, which in my languahe means gooey soup, not the themepark game. The question is always the same, if there's a challenge of any kind or just patience to read text and everything else is just under...
  2. Gylfi.Fenriz.Conquests

Development Info Wasteland 3 Dev Diary #3: Choice & Consequence

Kinda, though in a typical Sierra adventure they weren't choices, just your ability to pay more attention to details and not miss anything. And that's maybe even more suitable for rpg's. A perfect example of it is in the game i last beat, Police Quest 3. [spoiler alert] I manage to open a...
  3. Gylfi.Fenriz.Conquests

Community RPG Codex Top Non-RPG PC Games RESULTS!

I'm communist so i can't really agree with all that, for me the left is not witches, satanists, junkies, hyppies and child-eaters Trump-like rich and free-mason people made you believe in to avert the working-class revolution of equality and freedom during the 50's, but anyway i doubt the man...
  4. Gylfi.Fenriz.Conquests

Community RPG Codex Top Non-RPG PC Games RESULTS!

Jedi outcast #42. Did the same person vote it with 39 accounts? One of the dumbest most boring games i ever played. Notwithstanding the multiplayer i kinda enjoyed for a while, but the SP was dreadful.
  5. Gylfi.Fenriz.Conquests

Development Info Wasteland 3 Dev Diary #3: Choice & Consequence

To me difficulty in making a choice (otherwise if it's all easy what's the point?) is neither you feeling bad about one, or accepting that all choices have good/bad consequences (so again what's the point), nor being pissed off that what you thought was good turned out disastrous: it's that...
  6. Gylfi.Fenriz.Conquests

Interview Colony Ship Interview at RPGWatch

yes, like Ascendant did, so we're close. :thumbsup: I'd like to see actual skill-checked puzzles, one day, cause in my opinion that's the lost spirit of the 90's. There were also puzzles in platformers, like in Shadow of the beast series.
  7. Gylfi.Fenriz.Conquests

that's where good writers come in, they either avoid deus ex machinae, or they make the signpost such a well hidden, hard puzzle to solve (and not without its skill checks) that even if it's a signpost falling, you earned it. But then it wouldn't be an rpg, rpg's tend to have a healthy logic, so...
  8. Gylfi.Fenriz.Conquests

that's it, then! It's not even a question of categorizing and separating genres (and apparently adventures sadly became too stereotyped to be conceived anywhere but in their ghetto, let alone conceive an organic "communion" with rpg's, as it once WAS), so rpg skills or lucky monkey wrenches, but...
  9. Gylfi.Fenriz.Conquests

The point is you can't fall in an overpowering "category", you don't have to do the puzzle, you don't even have to know it's there. It's an alternative to the more obvious choices (combat, persuasions, stealth). That's how designers reasoned back then, everything was organic, not categorized.
  10. Gylfi.Fenriz.Conquests

Very well. Even though there won't be these alternative choices in it, i'm still looking forward to learn how quests are structured in Colony ship. Thank you for your time! I just wanted to make another example, this time it was in Fallout 1 demo: two factions, the crypts and fools. They can...
  11. Gylfi.Fenriz.Conquests

Sure, why not, scripting is good. I'm not talking about improvized emergent solutions, like Warren Spector said because he was mad at adventures for having only one solution to puzzles (and it's the reason why Deus Ex is what it is). Of course, though, as you said a scripted alternative solution...
  12. Gylfi.Fenriz.Conquests

I'm sure i'll love combat and skill stuff, but i mainly care about alternative ways to end a quest, so forgive me if i just get to the point and maybe make it simpler than it really is. I don't want a "choice" if choice means a dialogue line with a spell check. I don't think it's interesting...
  13. Gylfi.Fenriz.Conquests

Development Info The Outer Worlds Documentary by Noclip - Part Five: The Complexity of Player Choice

"you know you didn't have to shoot either one, right?" not from these pointless and confused videos.
  14. Gylfi.Fenriz.Conquests

Interview Tim Cain and Leonard Boyarsky on The Outer Worlds at PC Gamer

They got it, finaly, provided they get it right. What reconnects the best rpgs in history with adventure games (items), that there's a challenge in FINDING a solution. Something that's literally disappeared since Fallout and Deux ex, and nobody EVER understood, not even you guys all lost in...
  15. Gylfi.Fenriz.Conquests

Are older CRPGs are designed better than modern ones?

I remember that in Fallout and Ultima's you could examine, pick up and use most of the objects in the world. So for me the biggest difference is that adventures were so popular and "everywhere" that many games were partly adventures, and included puzzles.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom