Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Recent content by Jinsai

1. Game News Torchlight is Out

It's Diablo Well, anyhow. The game? It's Diablo. In 3D. For $20. Given that I spend that much in 2 days for lunch, I figured it's a good buy. Fun so far (level 18?), and at least it runs (unlike Borderlands, which is a different rant entirely). Graphics are of the cartoony/Dungeon...
  2. Interview Part 2 of Planescape: Torment interview at RPGWatch

The breaking of convention was the problem I think the explicit efforts to break conventions were part of the "problem" for Torment's somewhat limited appeal. Personally, I loved it. Easily the best gaming experience I've ever had in total. I remember finishing the game. I sat in my chair...
  3. Editorial Fallout revisited at RPG Watch

2 and 2 I loved Fallout. I also loved Fallout 2. I've replayed both more than any other game (and at my age, I've played a lot of games). As the years go by it gets harder to enjoy them - the UI starts to get in the way more (inventory. Ick.), you can see where some really half-baked...
  4. Game News Silent Storm dubbed GameSpot's Best Game No One Played

Playing S3 now Everyone should go get Silent Storm if you haven't yet. S3's "ethnic" voice acting is still so over-the-top I can't decide if it's offensive or hilarious. The choices for your main character's voice, sadly, are "bad" and "worse". The missions? Backstory? Whatever. It's...
  5. Interview PnP guys talk about D&D in computer games

Sooner than that I'm a bit more optimistic. What you really want is a simulation of freedom -- enough that the player feels like they can do whatever they want. Coding for every possibility is just wasteful, especially when many players won't ever see the content. Right now, too many...
  6. Game News Puuk dishes out THE TRUTH about Fallout 3

Riiight. Now who'se tweaking facts? You assume everyone in the games biz is like Herve Caen? Nobody wants to make a shitty game. But you do need to make money on your game to get a shot at making another one. hose $500-$600 PCs won't play Deus Ex anywhere near the level of the XBox. The...
  7. Game News Puuk dishes out THE TRUTH about Fallout 3

Well, I actually work in the game industry. So my information comes from people who run development houses and do things like decide whether to make a PC game or a console game. As for backing up what I say with figures, sure! IDSA (now known as ESA), 2002 (2003 numbers not published yet)...
  8. Game News Puuk dishes out THE TRUTH about Fallout 3

Unfortunate Truth Console games make at least 10x the money that PC games do. So yes, console games do fund PC game development at some studios. And I do believe the PS2s, XBoxes, and Gamecubes of the world will contribute to a decline in quality PC games. If you have $10M to spend...
  9. Review RPGDot is not impressed by Deus Ex: IW

Bad Demo I really wanted to like this game, especially since Half-Life 2 and Doom 3 were delayed and Fallout 3 is, well, I'm going to start crying again if I say it. Anyhow, I didn't think Deus Ex 1 was all that great -- sort of a dumber version of System Shock crossed with a dumber version...
  10. Preview Aranna preview at GameGossip

Here's why * Original DS designers didn't want n00bs to be "penalized" for picking a particular combination of race and class * Game code didn't support any stats other than "human" for player characters * The way the game works, any initial differences would likely get evened out as...
  11. Codex Review Temple of Elemental Evil Review

Great combat, but the rest? Excellent review. I bought the game on the day of its release. First thing I noticed is that it is very difficult, especially at the beginning. The town stuff is particularly tedious...I have no idea why they will label all the small maps in the map view, but...
  12. Editorial Leon Boyarsky - Thoughts on RPG development

Simple solution: Charge more money I have an economics background and I design software products. And I'm a big fan of the games cited here. Why not just charge more? All of the hardcore RPG fans derive many hours of replay value from the great games (I am currently replaying Fallout2...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom