Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Recent content by levgre

1. Vapourware What exactly is C&C? And how to do it in simulationy rpgs?

otoh, dialogue is very technically easy to make compared to many other things in game development that require a huge time commitment as well.
  2. Vapourware Codexian Game Development Thread

More of the prototype art is done, the artist is working on making the faces more clear atm (and working on more characters). The weapons were just ripped off of google, later on they will be made custom for the game to look nicer. Also there will be more pose variety/granularity. Just...
  3. Vapourware Codexian Game Development Thread

Yea I'm just doing square tiles. I don't think I'd be doing isometric maps with it, I'd make custom scripts for that. Then I would maybe use Unity tilemap to place scenery and objects on top of the isometric tiles.
  4. Vapourware Codexian Game Development Thread

I agree on Unity tilemap being pretty much garbage, although with a few "hacks" I'm getting it to work decently well for me. I mostly am just using it to place scenery, but the best tool by far imo is the GameObject brush tool. If your tiles aren't made as GameObjects it's hard to do much...
  5. Vapourware Codexian Game Development Thread

There's definitely a variety of ways to implement stealth costs, viable options depends on the exact gameplay. In my game I'm having stealth be limited by armor, and party size (party has to be size X or less to hide in certain places). If you want to go the magical route, stealth can require...
  6. Vapourware Codexian Game Development Thread

thanks and yup that's Unity editor
  7. Vapourware Codexian Game Development Thread

Been working on the mission map system, almost done putting all the basics in (spawning, turns, movement, vision, etc.). It's not evident from this video, but between each player movement, the enemies takes a turn. Spawning more guys, moving to objectives, so on. OBS also skipped a bit, so...
  8. Vapourware Codexian Game Development Thread

Just watched some of them, they are pretty hilarious. I think tactical RPG gamers are tolerant of heavily armored females, although they still want their faces to be unrealistically pretty. I'll try to not cave in on that as well, although it's not a hill I'd want to die on. You could just...
  9. Teemu

You can probably use factory patterns and such so you don't need lots of classes for say each weapon. Generic code creating more specific instances. I personally just throw lots of classes in the same file, although maybe I'll refracture that later. I'm learning Unity and C# and making a...
  10. Vapourware Codexian Game Development Thread

Here's the 2 combat "idle" stances done by the artist I'm commissioning so far (well, the spear one is in mid revisions). So the body sprite will be changed based on armor being worn (this is just clothes/unarmored), as well as the head sprite for the character. The weapon sprite will be...
  11. Vapourware Codexian Game Development Thread

Some similarities, but not really. The map is a smaller part of the game since the party combat is the main focus. The player gets in, secures objective/money, and gets out. The maximum amount of squads would probably be 3-4, with 1-2 being typical (might make it a soft cap, i.e. you could...
  12. Vapourware Codexian Game Development Thread

Making a basic local map system, the player would be raiding the village here. It'll have crop fields and other terrain as well outside the village, more building variety, and of course locales other than villages. It's actually 5x5 larger tiles that the player moves on. When on the same tile...
  13. Intelligence as a stat

This would probably be easiest to pull off by having a large chunk of a game designed to cater to the mechanic, using real time puzzle solving with multiple possible solutions. But I still am struggling to think of the value in having random avaiability vs having breakpoints.
  14. Vapourware redacted

Do you have a portrait version so they can make a Hearthstone card of this creature?
  15. 2D NPC sprites/animations question

Pixel art doesn't necessarily take forever. With image editing software like Photoshop you can have limbs, weapons, etc. set to different layers and easily recombine the character in different positions. You'll have to redo some of the character art for each frame probably, unless your changes...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom