Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Recent content by Mark Richard

1. Mark Richard

What games did you complete in 2021?

Decided just to stick with a summary. Honourable mention to Kingdom Come: Deliverance. The finish line is in sight, but those side quests were like a siren's call. Suzerain – Making a return from last year's thread, a steady stream of updates has improved upon what was already a highly...
  2. Mark Richard

Gothic RPG's with non lethal options

In Kingdom Come: Deliverance you only have to kill one person throughout the entire game. Most combatants choose to surrender rather than fight to the death. A surrendering foe typically presents the following options – release unconditionally, let him go disarmed, or continue the combat. In...
  3. Mark Richard

This Is the President - A Story Driven Management Game Where You Play as the President of the USA

Going to be tough to match the stellar writing of Suzerain, but at least there's gameplay.
  4. Mark Richard

What game are you wasting time on?

Taking a bath and learning to read in Kingdom Come: Deliverance, where cleanliness and literacy are gameplay mechanics. I've never felt so connected to another place and time. The mad lads at Warhorse Studios worked with a small army of historians to digitally reconstruct 14th century buildings...
  5. Mark Richard

KickStarter Encased - isometric post-apocalyptic RPG under the dome

This is why I'm holding off for now. The day after I start playing they're going to announce a huge update or something. It's a game in itself of who blinks first. I waited out Shadow Tactics for five years before they finally relented and announced an expansion. Germans are sneaky like that...
  6. Mark Richard

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Compare the companion line-ups between Kingmaker, Wrath of Righteous, and PoE2. Kingmaker's are rooted in traditional fantasy archetypes and have a simplistic charm, which is reflected in the portraits to provide a point of reference in dealing with them. In the other two games I just don't know...
  7. Mark Richard

King's Bounty II

That's the western games press for you. The only titles that seem to get positive attention are the Triple A blockbusters or some weird indi dating sim made by the reviewer's best friend. All of my favourites from Eastern Europe have been panned or ignored – This is the Police 2, ATOM...
  8. Mark Richard

King's Bounty II

Gerald of Ribia.
  9. Mark Richard

Ultima The Ultima Underworld I & II Thread

A statement like that would've never been uttered on Rock Paper Shotgun ten years ago. Older games can be so appealing because they offer something modern games don't. There's no modern equivalent of Ultima Underworld (though Arx Fatalis gave a damn good try). It's a physics-based dungeoneering...
  10. Mark Richard

What is your ONE favorite video game of all time?

Stonekeep. It gave me a lot of firsts – the first time I recall refusing to do something in a computer game because it was too scary (open the sarcophagus), the first time a girl gave me funny feelings (Ice Queen), the first time I played a dungeon crawler with fully voiced companions, and the...
  11. Mark Richard

Ultima The Ultima Underworld I & II Thread

Ah excellent, I was looking for a game to break in my new high-end computer. Britannia awaits!
  12. Mark Richard

41 year old man plays Resident Evil games for the first time, mostly hates them

Resident Evil reinvented itself because the series was becoming stale, even by the standards of superfans like my friend who has every single piece of merchandise and can recite the details of each game's story with perfect clarity (I once made the mistake of asking him, and he chewed my ear off...
  13. Mark Richard

Incline Which are - for you - the only truly exceptional RPGs of the post-Renaissance era?

Kingdom Come: Deliverance - I stand by my contribution to the 2019 poll of RPG Codex's Best RPGs. Kingdom Come was the only modern game to make it into the upper echelons of that list, rubbing shoulders with Betrayal at Krondor, Baldur's Gate, Deus Ex, and Fallout. Exalted company indeed. It's...
  14. Mark Richard

In Dead State you can solve a lot of problems by using noise to your advantage. Zombies in the area are attracted to noise, and at a certain decibel level more will spawn on the edges of the map. So there's a hostile gang holed up in some building, right? Just toss a noisemaker grenade in there...
  15. Mark Richard

Game News Expeditions: Rome Dev Diary #3 - Story

Expeditions: Viking placed 83rd on RPG Codex's Top 101 PC RPGs of all time. The Roman Empire encompassed a great deal of the known world. Why wouldn't they display their wealth and power by picking up some exotic gladiators for the colosseum? Its basic showmanship. Pro-wrestling crowds still...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom