Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Recent content by Midair

1. Midair

RPGs with no progression

If you like character development, then why limit it to the character creation screen only? Sure there will be other kinds of gameplay during the rest of the game. Maybe the game world could react to your character. But how would your character react to the world?
  2. Midair

The Weekly/Yearly LOL Baldur's Gate sucks thread!

I am just bringing up the distinction between a system to resolve conflicts, even if it is combat oriented, and resolving conflict by walking through the actions that a game designer planned out for the player like in an adventure game, even if you get to select between a few different options...
  3. Midair

The Weekly/Yearly LOL Baldur's Gate sucks thread!

Calling BG2 an action game is absurd enough, but an adventure game? For the sake of argument, I would call Fallout more of an adventure-game-with-stats than BG is. In Fallout, conflict resolution involves either trivial combat, or it requires you to find the right right dialogue option or the...
  4. Midair

RPGs with no progression

So you want to create a character, but only at the very beginning of the game? That would not leave much to do during the rest of the game except for gameplay like combat or puzzles that is common to other genres. Maybe alignment of factional changes?
  5. Midair

RPGs with no progression

I would see this psychological phenomenon as like the alcohol content in wine, toxic in isolation but essential. Progression is what leads to choices in how the player develops their character. Even if it's more horizontal than the pib-squeak-to-super-hero cliche, you need something like the...
  6. Midair

Incline Time for more involving quests!

How would solving a high level objective actually involve the player's own creativity? In my opinion, quests with multiple pre-scripted solutions do not add much in terms of player participation.
  7. Midair

What is a cRPG? 2014 edition

You don't have to define the elements of the strategy and adventure genres because they are obvious. That part of the definition is superfluous. I would then just add a requirement that an rpg have a significant amount of both genres so as not to include games that are closer to pure strategy...
  8. Midair

From HiddenX's diagram, story + exploration = adventure game. And character development = strategy game. Why? because you have separated the story element, leaving characters as equivalent to units in a strategy game. That is why I am saying you do not need to define elements of rpgs, as they...
  9. Midair

HiddenX, all you are doing is listing elements of strategy games or adventure games. Accept that rpgs are a hybrid genre and the definition is much simpler. We know what strategy games are and what adventure games are so we can simply say that an rpg is a half-breed containing significant...
  10. Midair

An rpg is a hybrid combining elements of adventure games and strategy games. The first rpg was invented by modifying a strategy game so that players engaged in a cooperative adventure. edit: So as not to allow too many exceptions, both adventure and strategy elements must be present in...
  11. Midair

Battle Brothers Pre-Release Thread

I noticed the different designs of the sockets and maybe it is enough that player and enemy units face opposite directions and that you get used to seeing your units so you know which ones they are. As others have said the more one looks at the game the more you seem to get used to it. Still...
  12. Midair

Battle Brothers Pre-Release Thread

Have you considered making the sockets for player and enemy units different colors? Some subtle coloring would make the battlefield more readable at a glance and could also reduce the buried look by adding more contrast between the sockets and the background.
  13. Midair

Announcing Project GoldScript

I believe this is possible and relatively common. It might take a little juggling with a desktop programming environment but it does not look difficult.
  14. Midair

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

Looking for a little company, big boy? I do graphics. In other iso games, it appears that while the background lacks any perspective, the character sprites may have been rendered with some perspective, or even from a lower camera angle, in order to show the character model in its best view...
  15. Midair

Could you take a browser based RPG seriously?

You could make an optional offline version maybe. Use an embedded browser component to run the HTML5 app.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom