Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Recent content by newtmonkey

1. newtmonkey

Phantasie series

negator2vc Good point! I didn't want to get into abandonware, because bringing it up sometimes sounds like whining just because you can no longer get something for free. However, in this case, the abandonware sites were actually providing more value than the "official" source, by providing all...
  2. newtmonkey

Phantasie series

Francois424 Nice writeup! I agree, but even a 2.5/10 is too kind. What is the value provided by this collection? No thought or effort went into it at all. People will look at this collection, and wonder why Phantasie II looks completely different and worse than the first Phantasie. If they...
  3. newtmonkey

Phantasy Star III was a major disappointment! Short, ugly, braindead easy, and completely...

Phantasy Star III was a major disappointment! Short, ugly, braindead easy, and completely joyless to play. It was apparently rushed through development by some team that had never made an RPG before, and it shows. Good music, though.
  4. newtmonkey

[Playing] Nethergate (PC), Tales of Phantasia (SFC) | [Finished] Phantasy Star III (MD)

[Playing] Nethergate (PC), Tales of Phantasia (SFC) | [Finished] Phantasy Star III (MD)
  5. newtmonkey

Vapourware Unknown Realm: The Siege Perilous - an 8-bit RPG for PC and Commodore 64

He is simply a scam artist. It's just how these scumbags think.
  6. newtmonkey

Incline Shoot'em up goodness (review and discuss)

This is actually a very cool game, and worth picking up. It's got an excellent (optional) tutorial that walks you through how to play bullet hell shumps in general, and in the advanced tutorial covers the mechanics unique to this game. It's also got an "original" mode where you earn and...
  7. newtmonkey

LoZ was okay. It's Wizardry III with a Japanese coat of paint and doesn't much go beyond that...

LoZ was okay. It's Wizardry III with a Japanese coat of paint and doesn't much go beyond that. The penultimate dungeon was a high point. No need to grind levels at all to complete the game.
  8. newtmonkey

[Playing] System Shock CD (PC), Phantasy Star III (MD), Ryu ga Gotoku 7 (PS4) | [Finished]...

[Playing] System Shock CD (PC), Phantasy Star III (MD), Ryu ga Gotoku 7 (PS4) | [Finished] Labyrinth of Zangetsu (Switch)
  9. newtmonkey

How did SEGA lose the console wars?

There's a great book on this topic, titled Console Wars: https://www.harpercollins.com/products/console-wars-blake-j-harris?variant=32205937279010 It's definitely worth a read for anyone interested in what was going on behind the scenes at this time, though it's definitely written from a...
  10. newtmonkey

What games did you complete in 2023?

-=CRPGs=- Planescape: Torment :4/5: Combat is a big mess, but the fascinating world, fun companions, and well-written story help make up for it. It deserves all the praise it gets. Pillars of Eternity :4/5: The story is not particularly interesting, but the exploration, combat, and party...
  11. newtmonkey

I finished KOTOR tonight, my first time through the game. The combat and interface were awful...

I finished KOTOR tonight, my first time through the game. The combat and interface were awful (clearly developed with XBOX in mind), but it was overall a pretty cool game. I'd like to replay it sometime as a dark Jedi.
  12. newtmonkey

[Playing] West of Loathing (PC), Labyrinth of Zangetsu (Switch) | [Finished] Star Wars: KOTOR (PC)

[Playing] West of Loathing (PC), Labyrinth of Zangetsu (Switch) | [Finished] Star Wars: KOTOR (PC)
  13. newtmonkey

Random thoughts on whatever JRPG you're currently playing?

Final Fantasy USA Mystic Quest This is the Japanese version of Final Fantasy Mystic Quest, which I played and completed back when it was first released. I was in the mood to replay it, so I decided to play the Japanese version and see if there were any differences (there are none, besides the...
  14. newtmonkey

Lord of Riva So far Septerra Core is not bad (certainly better than MQ!), but we'll see how it...

Lord of Riva So far Septerra Core is not bad (certainly better than MQ!), but we'll see how it goes. I think combat is going to get pretty annoying quickly.
  15. newtmonkey

I completed FF USA, which is the Japanese version of FF Mystic Quest, because I wanted to see if...

I completed FF USA, which is the Japanese version of FF Mystic Quest, because I wanted to see if there were any differences. Nothing except for the language, of course. It's a pretty lousy game, even (especially) as a beginner-friendly RPG. Final Fantasy II/IV is a much better "beginner" RPG imo.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom