Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Recent content by oscar

1. oscar

Expeditions: Rome - the final Expeditions game from Logic Artists

It felt a lot more natural in Conquistador when we're in Central America 9,000 kilometres from home in a strange, alien land with only a few dozen men under my command. It feels far more bizarre having to manage food and water supplies for my personal squad of 12 guys when I'm a legatus with...
  2. oscar

Expeditions: Rome - the final Expeditions game from Logic Artists

This game is kind of baffling in how its been overdesigned. It's like they were afraid that just sticking to combat would make the game feel too light so chucked on all these poorly designed, clumsy and illogical systems as padding. Except all the management bloat does is keep you away from the...
  3. oscar

Game News Ludus Mortis Released

I enjoyed Inferno - Beyond the 7th Circle a lot, this should be good.
  4. oscar

Incline Heads Will Roll -- AUTHENTIC MEDIEVAL DATING RPG

Damn this game went down some interesting narrative routes depending on which path you take. If you can make the doomed journey, finding Reynold as a medieval crusader Colonel Kurtz if you go Middle East or ending up against.. whatever the fuck this guy was (a demon? An alien? Satan himself?)...
  5. oscar

Incline Heads Will Roll -- AUTHENTIC MEDIEVAL DATING RPG

This game is really rather good. Builds upon the Legionary's Life gameplay through but with a steroids injection. Different build varieties that functionally perform differently in combat (and excellent against some foes but struggle against others). Virtue system not just affecting the story...
  6. oscar

Your favourite cRPG map of 2023

It's been a good year for cRPGs but a mediocre (at best year) for maps in cRPGs. I always found the Geneforge maps rather charming:
  7. oscar

Incline Colony Ship RELEASE THREAD

Evans gets a choice between two very powerful feats if you can survive Eli's quest where you have to get past the two sentry guns and robot. I've done him with rifles and with pistols and think I had slightly better results with the pistols (one of the aforementioned feats makes aimed attacks...
  8. oscar

Game News Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader Released

In short: It's very good (said as someone who didn't like Owlcat's previous titles). Got the setting's tone right (much to my doubt) and on daring the combat is challenging and fun.
  9. oscar

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader - turn-based Warhammer 40k RPG from Owlcat Games

I'm liking this a lot. Mid-way through chapter 2 on Daring and it feels about perfect. Most fights requires me to think and plan carefully. Some took multiple reloads but I figured it out eventually. Difficulty feels about perfect on this setting. I will say they nailed the tone. It was nice to...
  10. oscar

Vapourware The problem with Speech (and your ideas for solutions)

Scrap speech skills and have such checks covered by charisma and intelligence (sometimes a check requiring one, sometimes both). Someone with a high charisma stat should be inherently likeable and persuasive (plus whatever other bonuses charisma gives in-game such as a larger party and better...
  11. oscar

Yep sneak and steal are nice to have but definitely not worth a tag. Hell my completely untrained in stealth protagonist could do a lot of late game stealth sections successfully just with a well-upgraded cloaking field and taking his armour off. I'd add biotech to the same category. Just pick...
  12. oscar

Ironically doing much better at combat with a skill-based charismatic character than my low charisma melee brute run (putting all skills beyond biotech to my MC while speccing my party for pure combat). Main issue is protecting your squishy protagonist for long enough for your companions to wipe...
  13. oscar

Got my first ending. Combat got a bit much for my party by the very end so I had to bitch out and betray Cobra (damn going back to wimpy Faythe after her felt like a huge step down). Then betrayed the Brotherhood too and basically got strong-armed by the monks. Would there have been any change...
  14. oscar

Game News Colony Ship Released

Just finished it with a solid 32 hours play time. Combat got a bit much for my party by the very end so I had to bitch out and betray Cobra (damn going back to wimpy Faythe after her felt like a huge step down). Then betrayed the Brotherhood too and basically got strong-armed by the monks. Would...
  15. oscar

Game News Colony Ship Released

I built a combat-focused hammer user (charisma my dump stat, but used a perk at level 3 to pick up Faythe) and enjoying it so far. Does seem to be rather a lack of blunt weapons. My companions are getting fancy guns while I'm stuck with my rusty sledgehammer (that's quite inaccurate and even...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom