Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Recent content by potemkin

1. Review Yahtzee: DA2 takes it cues from Mass Effect

Where is the "back to normal speed" button in that video? Are there subtitles or something?
  2. Statement as to recent site slowdowns and related issues

Everyone knows that Java is the best option for the server side due to heavy JVM optimization but I don't want to start a flame war about languages or platforms and you are right about taking a look at data access optimizations first. You can run PHP inside the JVM with Quercus...
  3. Statement as to recent site slowdowns and related issues

That guy had problems with AppEngine 2 years ago, that's only one year after the initial *beta* launch. And he used Python instead of Java so I have doubts about his technical expertise. Nice reference to Eisenstein. I agree but it can happen with any type of web hosting.
  4. Statement as to recent site slowdowns and related issues

http://code.google.com/appengine/docs/quotas.html It's 1GB for data, a few gigabytes in memcache, max 753 HTTP requests/second, 43 million requests/day. The database may be too small but everything else should be enough, I follow only the news forum so maybe this website is bigger than I...
  5. Statement as to recent site slowdowns and related issues

You decided to use PHP which is very slow and buggy, don't blame users for your own dumb decisions. I still believe Google App Engine can handle this website just fine within the limits of free quota. Optimized shit is still shit after all.
  6. Statement as to recent site slowdowns and related issues

I can't believe no one considered migrating to Google App Engine, their free quota should be enough to host this website. They host Java and Python, but you can run PHP code on the Java Virtual Machine so the hard part would be to migrate the database.
  7. A Universal Definition of RPGs

Tamagochi (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tamagochi) is an RPG by this definition. If you don't consider the context in which the character is (story), then you're just playing The Sims or something like that. Having the context, now we can give the player an objective which is required for any...
  8. Editorial Choice and Combat in The Witcher II

Now the true and only definition of RPG has been renamed to "choice and consequence style of role-playing game", nice. I can't wait to play that great looking RPG called Crysis 2, I'll be playing the role of a super-soldier! Yay!
  9. Game News Let's All Play Dragon Age 2

What Coyote said, she had a lot of backup, I had to choose which enemy would have to stay out of the fight at different moments because there were a lot of enemies in a small space.
  10. Game News Let's All Play Dragon Age 2

I ignored all traps in DA:O and played in Nightmare difficulty with a pure mage. The Lieutenant of Loghain was the only battle I had to think in order to win.
  11. The Authentic RPG and its Tragic Demise

You're saying I'm a moron because I'm saying some games you think are RPG arent? You can have fun with Mass Effect only if people agree that it is an RPG? I've just defined a set of simple rules to say what is and isn't an RPG, I'm not defining which game is better! And these rules say that...
  12. The Authentic RPG and its Tragic Demise

You don't need a completely open dialog system, you can still role-play with a few reasonable choices for each situation. IMO there is no game without a story, even "I'm doing nothing" is a story so the issue is: can the player choose which direction the story takes within the limitations of...
  13. The Authentic RPG and its Tragic Demise

That's an adventure game. What if you are playing an italian plumber that just jumps on shit to save a princess and increases his lifebar whenever he gets X points? I'm trying to draw a line here, otherwise everything is an RPG!
  14. The Authentic RPG and its Tragic Demise

If you don't have a story, you can't role play. In your adventure games you play a role, you don't role play. If you can't change the story your actions don't matter thus you are not role-playing.
  15. The Authentic RPG and its Tragic Demise

Here is the bare minimum a game must have to be an RPG: - Player actions must be limited by character attributes; - Player actions must be able to change the *main* story completely, not just side quests (companion stories are side quests) and see the effects well before the end of the game...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom