Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Recent content by Psilon

1. Eating my own words: Geneforge 5 is pretty good

The clawbug is a pretty good upgrade over the thahd, but plated clawbugs (the level 3 upgrade) can seriously mess up most enemies in the midgame with their dual attacks.
  2. Game News Geneforge 5 is Here!

Not as a Shaper loyalist. It might be part of some of the rebel quest lines, but most of the factions treat you as more of a commando than an infiltrator. At any rate, you don't get most of the sponsor-specific quests (as opposed to "generic Shaper" or "generic rebel") until you swear loyalty to...
  3. Game News Geneforge 5 is Here!

Well, let's see here. Two largely distinct paths through the plot, which splinter into 2-3 endgames apiece. Each region (though not necessarily each individual sector) usually has at the very least a "combat path" and a "wits path," the latter usually encompassing stealth, mechanics skill, and...
  4. Game News Geneforge 5 is Here!

OK, I was one of the beta testers, so I've already played through it as a Shaper loyalist. Here's my synopsis now that the NDA's been lifted. Not too many differences from Geneforge 4 that I can remember. Still the same 15 core creations, but the original 3 classes (shaper/guardian/agent) are...
  5. Dark Legions

It was pretty fun for the time. I always enjoyed backing Illusionists up with a Templar healing squad, then summoning hordes of Fire Elementals. Sure, they could only take a single hit, but you could inflict obscene amounts of damage on any of the melee units. Especially Trolls (not ogres) and...
  6. Concurrent Turn-Based Combat

RoboSport did this back in '91. "Program" your robots each turn and set 'em loose. It was always amusing when two opposing robots passed each other harmlessly because both were moving rather than set to scan'n'fire.
  7. Geneforge 3 needs more love

Not happening. I don't have a post handy, but Vogel said Blades of Avernum sold absolutely terribly and nearly put him out of business. There will not be another toolset game a la BoA or BoE. It wouldn't surprise me if he's doing G5/A6 to build up a cash reserve before taking a chance on the...
  8. Geneforge 3 needs more love

"There will be an Avernum 6, but that will be it for new Avernum content for the foreseeable future." Source (4th post)
  9. Geneforge 3 needs more love

He is. Avernum 6 will be the last Avernum.
  10. Geneforge 3 needs more love

I personally found GF3 just to be boring and uninspired. Other than some much-needed interface tweaks, the game simply felt flat. The multiple islands were obviously chapter breaks, where you had to complete one Big Shaper Objective or a Big Rebel Objective then go on to the next tileset. There...
  11. EvOCHRON FFS!

Actually I just saw your post. All spacesims are welcome on the hard drive of Psilon. Looks pretty spiffy, especially the inertial navigation. I just hope combat doesn't suck if it's prevalent. After the disappointments that were X3 and Darkstar One, I'm not optimistic.
  12. Jeff Vogel's games

In-game music? No, not a chance. Blades of Avernum officially supports custom portraits and sprites, though it's not hard to replace the graphics in other games.
  13. Recommend an Adventure Game

Individually they're definitely on the short'n'easy side, but the new Sam & Max games are surprisingly fun. You don't get much quirkier than "Abe Lincoln Must Die!" for an episode title.
  14. Any possibility of a Linux port?

Depends on whether GarageGames resurrects the Linux ports of Torque, I would think. Didn't they deprecate Linux support for 1.4?
  15. Exhaustive Attribute List

Nah, that's more like Willpower. I see Education as a combination of bardic knowledge (a la D&D) and the dumb dialogue option from NWN. (Yes, NWN. Low education but high INT/WP would probably manifest as a hick dialect but a nearly full set of quest options.)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom