Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Recent content by schru

1. Games you've changed your mind about

It was Duke Nukem 3D and Quake which came out only three months apart—the full versions, that is.
  2. Anime The mistake a lot of modern boomer shooters make

Remember: set to Multitexture false in OpenGL or Direct3D renderers; or with the new version of the OldUnreal patch, I think it's a different setting, something like 'simulate single-pass texturing', or maybe it's a value that should be set to 1. However, the patch isn't necessary, dgVoodoo with...
  3. Honest Opinion on Half-Life 2

Yes, trying to jump off ladders can be problematic. Try just looking where you want to end up and pressing the use key. It should be enough to dismount seamlessly in most cases. As for the air-boat, it's more uncontrollable when it's not accelerating and just floating instead, but maybe that's...
  4. Honest Opinion on Half-Life 2

You just press the use key to get off where you're currently looking. The ladders in HL2's version of Source are rather sticky and rigid, but they're pretty functional otherwise. That person is just overestimating the distance and difficulty of reaching the pipe. The ladder is the intended path.
  5. Honest Opinion on Half-Life 2

You don't need a barrel there, neither to reach the valve nor to get across.
  6. Honest Opinion on Half-Life 2

He doesn't do that, though. He stumbles through circumstances beyond his control, like in the first game, and then, after causing some havoc, gets invited to the main office of an outpost. In the first game he actually faces up against something like the core of the invading alien forces...
  7. Honest Opinion on Half-Life 2

I'm just saying that some people here have a grievance against the game to the point that it clouds their mind and they latch onto certain things in a childish way. Or they just can't be bothered. But I do like how the Codex is actually critical of things, but with HL2 it's more like a biannual...
  8. Honest Opinion on Half-Life 2

I think the Combine are interesting precisely because they're not just hammy, cartoonish space aliens; or even if they were done in a very unusual and creative way. War of the Worlds is just one of the inspirations that contributed to the game, and it's the combination with the more 'grounded'...
  9. Honest Opinion on Half-Life 2

Adding to the above, conversely to what you, Lyric Suite and Hell Swarm write, the exact thing you charge Half-Life 2 with actually applies to the first game. Gordon goes to the alien home world (particulars of the back story aside), blasts his way through it head-on, and kills the alien...
  10. Honest Opinion on Half-Life 2

Well, quite obviously what you fight for the most part is not the extra-terrestrial conquering force, but the 'transhuman arm of Sector Seventeen Overwatch', i.e., modified human forces left in place to maintain the occupation, with assistance from some adapted synths. Moreover, forces which...
  11. Honest Opinion on Half-Life 2

Is very good indeed—the delivery, that is, where she goes from trying to be droll to getting embarrassed a second later. On the subject of Alyx generally, I think her dialogue flowed well and felt natural in Episode One, while in HL2 she felt too much like a generic action-film sidekick, with...
  12. Honest Opinion on Half-Life 2

I remember that part too, naturally. It could imply that, but the plucking remark referred only to Alyx. It seems to me that it rather suggests that this was how he came to exert influence over Eli (and more generally on the Black Mesa team in HL2, which I thought was immediately apparent...
  13. Honest Opinion on Half-Life 2

Just Alyx.
  14. Half Life is shit

The room, or set of rooms, in question actually has sixty shower heads in it, five in each showering spot. Some of the shower installations are missing, but it can be seen how many the room originally had by the depressions in the floor. Apart from this, the room is also fitted with toilet bowls...
  15. Kingpin: Reloaded - remaster of Kingpin by 3D Realms

I'd recommend dgVoodoo with its resolution scaling function for the UI, but this time I couldn't get the game to run with it, or maybe run at all. Maybe compatibility differs from version to version, or maybe it's my system. As for ReShade, a suitable C.R.T. shader?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom