Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Recent content by set

1. Company News RPGPOCALYPSE: Obsidian and inXile have been acquired by Microsoft

Microsoft realizes they need some first parties. That's all this is. I hope they got them for cheap. You can expect Obsidian and inXile to churn out console-focused RPGs for the next few years before being laid to rest. The most I can hope for is Obsidian gets a hold of a good M$ franchise and...
  2. Company News Obsidian reportedly about to be acquired by Microsoft

If you want the next "great CRPG made" you will have better chances by spending the next two years playing the slots, the stock market, buying real estate, whoring yourself out, and creating the next SnapChat or something -- then taking all the money earned from those endeavors to build a studio...
  3. Game News Pathfinder: Kingmaker Released

So yeah, this game isn't "hard", it's just like BG1, where you literally have no hitpoints and you're completely reliant on the enemy missing you. During the 'tutorial' my protag got oneshot 80% of the time he ever got hit. With 10 con. Which isn't great con, but I don't think it should result...
  4. Star Wars: The Old Republic will kill WoW - outsourced to Broadsword

I was doing some research on MMOs to prove a point to a stubborn friend...and I came across this old thing. https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-11-30-lucasarts-to-take-around-35-percent-of-old-republic-revenue-report "Pachter estimated that the MMO will pull in around 1.5 million...
  5. Game News Pathfinder: Kingmaker Released

I have so far yet to get back to my PoE2 playthrough which is sitting at about 25% complete. Pretty Zzz game. Does this mean I should get this, or skip it?
  6. Game News Pillars of Eternity II Fig Update #54: New Challenges Approach

Maybe I'll go back to it someday... I think I got 25% through and forgot about it.
  7. Game News Pillars of Eternity II Fig Update #54: New Challenges Approach

I looked at Steam 'Top Selling' under RPGs and Deadfire comes in at...page FOUR (the bottom of it, too). There are some pretty ANCIENT games performing better if I can take that at face value (assuming I can). rip Obdiaian
  8. RPG Codex Interview: Chris Avellone on Pillars Cut Content, Game Development Hierarchies and More

Knowing what you know, what would you have done differently about financially unimpactful games like Alpha Protocol or KOTOR2 - that are actually pretty solid in some respects? Or were those games just destined for having the level of success that they did. I recently started replaying AP again...
  9. Interview Paradox's Fredrik Wester and Shams Jorjani on Tyranny 2 and Bloodlines 2

The Witcher 3 made 100 bazillion dollars. Turns out though, the "3" part is what's actually important. It took CD Project 2 games to get to "3". They honed their craft and the franchise while they did it. Does anyone remember the first Witcher? It was sleazy boob-trading-card tier jank of an...
  10. Interview Paradox's Fredrik Wester and Shams Jorjani on Tyranny 2 and Bloodlines 2

7 to 10 years???????? Whaaaaat? What??? Like, what? We have some random studio coming out with fucking Vampyr in 2 weeks. It looks like god dammned Bloodlines 2. At least, the brief gameplay footage does. How hard is it to do this right? It's not! It's really not! You could make a moderately...
  11. RPG Codex Interview: Chris Avellone on Pillars Cut Content, Game Development Hierarchies and More

Bound By Flame was almost playable, I'll give you that much. It could have been good, had it stronger writing or gameplay, but I felt it was lacking in both areas. I also wanted to point out that...there is that stupid site https://www.masterclass.com/ that spams me with youtube ads all the...
  12. RPG Codex Interview: Chris Avellone on Pillars Cut Content, Game Development Hierarchies and More

I mean, up until reading some of what Chris posted, I was in a mental state where I felt morally obligated to buy Obsidian games. They're like, quite literally, the last studio that's not "indie" making real honest to god RPGs. What am I supposed to do? You can take your chances buying a game...
  13. RPG Codex Interview: Chris Avellone on Pillars Cut Content, Game Development Hierarchies and More

No, I think that's an interesting intepretation but likely intended. Kreia is a manipulator and a betaryer (or so she says). At the very least, "...it was all for you" I think was the truth. She was trying to impart her wisdom onto you, so you could do what she wanted: destroy the force. She was...
  14. RPG Codex Interview: Chris Avellone on Pillars Cut Content, Game Development Hierarchies and More

I'm in software...not games...but I think six months is a little too small. I think you need to be able to plan out a whole fiscal year, you can't run a company where people are stressed about making it to the end of the year! It obviously does happen, but I wouldn't call "enough funds to stave...
  15. RPG Codex Interview: Chris Avellone on Pillars Cut Content, Game Development Hierarchies and More

That's great, really. All of the characters you've written stand out to me and they speak remarkably well in the medium we're in. Like, specifically in Kreia's case, she's fun to listen to - hear her monologue. And there's also a wonderful element of mystery surrounding her, you don't spell out...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom