Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Recent content by Stakhanov

1. Stakhanov

KickStarter Stygian: Reign of the Old Ones - a Lovecraftian Computer RPG

It could be worse. Has Insomnia: The Ark been fixed yet?
  2. Stakhanov

Decline Now that the dust has settled, can we admit that Disco Elysium is decline?

Chicken and the egg. I'm not suggesting that it was designed for either. It's a niche indie RPG based on a homebrew tabletop system, I doubt they were thinking anyone beyond a narrow circle of players would take it up. I'm just saying that it had a combination of features that tick certain...
  3. Stakhanov

Decline Now that the dust has settled, can we admit that Disco Elysium is decline?

I've bought it but I haven't played it yet. It looks really good though. I think you have a reasonable argument. From a mechanical point of view DE suffers from a lack of depth and replayability, but that is the consequence of having such a detailed and strong narrative. It simply isn't going to...
  4. Stakhanov

I'm not saying they're bad. I'm saying if I applied the same out-of-context standards to FO 1/2 (as inspired by XCOM), I could make the argument that they're simplistic and unchallenging in comparison to XCOM, where you control more than 1 character and have a lot more things to manage. But I...
  5. Stakhanov

Tactics makes it sound like you mean strategy games btw, so just stick to saying combat. But again, no one who enjoys RPGs tends to rave about how awesome it is that you get to press buttons to engage in hack and slash. Very few games have "heavy" roleplaying because there are no options besides...
  6. Stakhanov

So Gothic/Risen aren't RPGs then? Shall we just strike out all games that have action mechanics? What about Morrowind? Where were the tactics in Witcher 3? If that's what you want to do, at least you'll be consistent, but on the other hand that is going to remove a lot of games that are top...
  7. Stakhanov

You're confusing the origin of gaming's appeal with a definitional question. Yet you also separate roleplaying from tactics in your response, which was more or less my argument to begin with. Combat is not necessary for roleplaying to take place. That doesn't mean it can't provide enjoyment or...
  8. Stakhanov

So if an RPG offers a non-combat path through the game, then that is like a non-RPG minigame or what? The combat mechanics in RPGs are not distinctive and therefore cannot serve to differentiate them from other genres, unless we turn RPGs into a sub-genre. The distinctive aspect is a stats and...
  9. Stakhanov

Definitional debates aside, I actually think there is merit to experimental indie titles that focus on one element exclusively. The danger with small-scale studios creating their first game is spreading themselves too thin and either aping existing formulas in a way that doesn't do anything for...
  10. Stakhanov

The spell enhancements sell for a lot of cigs, but otherwise yeah, I don't disagree. I think they're just trying to make sure to eliminate all possible crashes/freezes for now. I hope that they figure out a way to add it back in.
  11. Stakhanov

I wouldn't say it's particularly uncommon. You tend to see it more in games like Dota that are multiplayer and/or competitive than single-player games. I mean, you could redo the code for the game just to save the feature, but is it really worth it at this point? Some enhanced spells were...
  12. Stakhanov

Yes, it was in originally, but it got removed because it was a source of a lot of bugs that they weren't able to fix. I quite enjoyed the enhancements, it certainly made Occultism more viable in combat. Now it's only good in stealth builds.
  13. Stakhanov

There are additional perks and crafting recipes. Unfortunately, spell enhancement got the chop. As for the rest, it might be referring to bug fixes, because I haven't noticed significant mechanical changes, but that might be something only a dev can answer.
  14. Stakhanov

If anyone is curious about what is going to be changed: Without further ado, here’s a list of New Features and Major Overhauls that will be present in 1.1: A Tutorial System that explains all the core and subsidiary systems of the game. Considerably increased Combat Speed Character...
  15. Stakhanov

Incline Disco Elysium - The Final Cut - a hardboiled cop show isometric RPG

Ace's Low is an interfacing check with Kim after shooting down the corpse. Searchlight Division requires asking a woman in the fisherman's village about three different persons you're looking for.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom