Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Recent content by The Bishop

1. The Bishop

Baldur's Gate Larian is moving away from D&D, no BG3 DLC or BG4

So since Larian is done with "I can't believe it's not Dragon Age" project, it would be only logical if they take on "I can't believe it's not Mass Effect" project next. Obviously they could fix the glaring problems of the original, like not being able to have sex with Rachni Queen.
  2. The Bishop

Cain on Games - Tim Cain's new YouTube channel

I don't think there's really a dichotomy between realism and fun. This is a rather superficial take. It's like advising somebody: make good products, and bad products - don't make. As if there's some sort of argument with people advocating against fun in games. When some people ask for more...
  3. The Bishop

Dragon Age Dragon Age: Origins is ten years old today

My comment was explicitly about popularity and mass appeal, not quality. DA2 isn't really a fair comparison simply because it's not the same type of game. It's more of a slasher bastardization of Mass Effect, and a pretty awful one at that. It's a shit game that was so bad not even EA marketing...
  4. The Bishop

I might have agreed with you a year ago, but now with BG3 trying very hard to look and feel like DAO and hitting it out of the park in term of sales and popularity, there's really no doubt that DAO formula has a huge mass appeal. It had back in 2009 and still has it almost 15 years after...
  5. The Bishop

One other point about DA:O writing that is often overlooked and underappreciated is that it's functional. Videogame writing is supposed to underpin gameplay. It's supposed to give you reasons to care about going into this dungeon or looking for this item other than "I need to trigger the quest...
  6. The Bishop

Eternity Josh Sawyer reflects on his failures with Pillars of Eternity

Somehow the end result was the system that fits RTwP even worse than AD&D. The biggest offender is variable duration for everything. You start with an already arbitrary number which is then modulated by INT, empower, graze, crit, items, abilities. It's a mess and the only way to keep track of...
  7. The Bishop

Eternity Josh Sawyer reflects on his failures with Pillars of Eternity

Why do people care so much about hard counters, I don't get it. PoE2 is choke full of them. Almost every buff is countered by a debuff to the corresponding stat and vice versa. There are spells and items that give you immunities. Enemies are very commonly immune or resistant to at least...
  8. The Bishop

CD Projekt's Cyberpunk 2077 Update 2.0 + Phantom Liberty Expansion Thread

Witcher: legendary monster hunter and a mutant fights strong and dangerous beasts and sometimes just as dangerous humans but is ultimately powerless to fix depravity of people. Cyberpunk 2077: a random schmuck mows down armies of gangsters and corporate agents, then goes clubbing and nobody...
  9. The Bishop

Mass Effect New Mass Effect confirmed

Why wait when you can just make something up in your head right now? Odds are whatever Bioware writers are making up in theirs isn't going to be any better.
  10. The Bishop

MASS EFFECT 5 - yes or no

I can understand people preferring ME1, since it's the only game in the series that has generally sensible story and sense of direction. You can imagine a real person acting in a way you do in the circumstances you are presented with. It's not Dostoevsky, but it's functional writing in a...
  11. The Bishop

Game News Baldur's Gate 3 now available on Early Access

Whether BG3 turns out shit or not, you have to give Larian credit for pushing a real RPG with real character system into the mainstream spotlight. Bioware was happy enough to just make third person shooters with bare bone customization and lots of pointless dialogue.
  12. The Bishop

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate companion illustrations from James Ohlen's Heroes of Baldur's Gate tabletop adventure

This shield looks like it was designed specifically for people that feel it's about time they have their left hand chopped off. Also the whole point of small shields with a big boss is that you can have extra protection for your fist holding the shield in the center while extending it towards...
  13. The Bishop

Mass Effect Trilogy

My theory is that people hated the ending only because it was the point when they realized all the build up to this point was for naught. I don't think there was any good way to get out of the corner that Bioware have written themselves into by the end of ME 3. It's only natural that a mess of a...
  14. The Bishop

Preview Baldur's Gate 3 Gameplay Reveal, Previews and Interviews

I wonder what happened with all the 'fixes' to the system like no rolls to hit? Where is that super interactive environment and all the other stuff they talked about in the interviews? Was it all just a bait to make people obsessively post for 300 pages? If so Swen is a very good baiter. A...
  15. The Bishop

Oblivion first time modded or vanilla

So you're saying that an honest open minded opinion of an individual is nothing, but a praise from gaming media which has obvious and numerous reasons to be disingenuous about it somehow has a lot of weight? And the sales, which happen before the game is played and not after are somehow an...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom