Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Recent content by TheSoul

1. TheSoul

Unicorn Overlord - Tactical RPG by Vanillaware

I'm playing the demo and enjoying it, the auto-battles are less rng based than what I was expecting which was my biggest concern. I also like how you can explore the continent outside of battle and do extensive build testing if you want. Archers seem really exploitable though, having squads...
  2. TheSoul

Atlus Persona 3 Reload (ex portable thread)

I prefer having full control over my actions whenever possible unless the game was specifically built to be played that way. In fes, the commands are too generalized and it doesn't take advantage of the system mechanics. If there's multiple enemies and only 1 was weak to zio, you could make...
  3. TheSoul

Rumor: ELEX 3 cancelled, Piranha Bytes to be shut down by THQ Nordic

PB confuses me. I've only played Gothic, Risen, and half of Elex and Gothic 2 but their priorities are completely backwards. These games' strongest elements are the small details in the environment and how they make you earn your place in a faction. But the team seems more interested in...
  4. TheSoul

Atlus Persona 3 Reload (ex portable thread)

Atlus decides to market to Netflix bingers and pedophiles. Truly disgusting Is umbrella academy even that famous?
  5. TheSoul

Random thoughts on whatever JRPG you're currently playing?

I finished playing the Phantasy star series this year. It's nice to play a jrpg that lets you play the game in the first 15 min again. PS I :3/5: It's simple in a good way. The art leans a bit too close to Star wars at times, but the combat animations and environments do look good...
  6. TheSoul

Why do modern RPGs have 0% soul?

Mindless is how I'd describe the situation. Most genres have a clear checklist that designers aren't deviating from. What's made is the equivalent of fast food now, as on some level we crave the simplicity and homogenization. Change only really works when you got people to puff your game up...
  7. TheSoul

Jagged Alliance 3 from Haemimont Games

I finished the game. :3.5/5:, the main foundation's good but could easily be better with a few mods and updates. A pleasant surprise for me. Main complaints It's undeniably a lot more "gamey" with combat and crafting. Random drops fucked me over and I only found 6 sticks of dynamite the...
  8. TheSoul

I know how it triggered, its just poorly thought out considering he tells you before there's 1 chance for us to back off. You do get more "trust" if you try talking to him and reminding of his father so I wanted to try going that route.
  9. TheSoul

A lot better than expected, I'm considering buying an actual copy now. It does keep a lot of the original spirit, although not perfectly. Unique perks don't feel balanced between mercs. The mercs are hit and miss. The dialogue does feel right, but the character designs and voice delivery...
  10. TheSoul

How good is the banter from the mercs?
  11. TheSoul

I demand Razor and Conrad. I'm hoping it'll be good :killit:
  12. TheSoul

Atlus What's the appeal of Megami Tensei?

Kaneko. His demon designs remain iconic for a reason and there's a certain creepiness to them that makes it not look stupid. It's the good kind of anime/japanese influence. Areas were unique for the time. Most jrpgs were fantasy based, so post-apocalyptic tokyo helped it stand out. The...
  13. TheSoul

KickStarter Beyond Shadowgate

Demo and Death Scenes. This kickstarter reminded me I never bought the remake.
  14. TheSoul

Incline Troubleshooter: Abandoned Children - isometric tactical Korean SRPG

I play on hard and challenge mode. It's still nowhere near the threat a level 50 mission is, which isn't a problem as I think adding more to the midgame was a good idea. Beasts are fun, I try so many that they're all in 40s except the crabs. It's also where I get knowledge checked the most...
  15. TheSoul

Incline Troubleshooter: Abandoned Children - isometric tactical Korean SRPG

Back to playing this game and got a bunch of sidequests meant for a party 20 levels below me. Thanks for the free content Dandelion. :brodex: I just wish I knew wtf I'm doing half the time. I barely understand what my beasts, drones and any character after giselle do but they still get kills...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom