Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Recent content by Tris McCall

1. Game News First screens of The Broken Hourglass

the broken hourglass Honestly, for an indie game, I think it looks really good. I've been hacking my way through the Spiderweb stuff, and while those games are fun, next to Avernum 2, The Broken Hourglass appears to be graphics heaven. I dig the multicolored range circles, too -- those...
  2. Torment How to enjoy Planescape Torment

Curst is probably the slowest and least well-executed part of PS:T. Press on -- the ending justifies everything.
  3. Torment How to enjoy Planescape Torment

Fell's conversion prompted the Lady to destroy the temple of Aoskar, so yes, in a way, he was responsible. The dabus was the only survivor, and nobody in Sigil knows why he wasn't mazed. Fell himself doesn't know. And yes, many use the cult of Aoskar as proof that the old god isn't actually...
  4. Torment How to enjoy Planescape Torment

Grace's version of Call Lightning is totally kickass. Yes, she can cast it indoors. That's not what it says in the *Player's Handbook*, but there are no rules for tanar'ri clerics in there, either. Fall-From-Grace deserves special rules. But that's not why you want Grace in the party. You...
  5. Just got Fallout

Best manual in the history of manuals!
  6. Torment How to enjoy Planescape Torment

Not to give anything away to Vazquez, but opening the Bronze Sphere at the end of the game answers a few questions about the Nameless One's backstory. What's inside is pretty cool. One other thing -- I've heard it said that because TNO regenerates and can't be killed, CON is the least...
  7. Torment How to enjoy Planescape Torment

But if you don't have the Bronze Sphere in your inventory when you reach the last battle, you miss some important exposition. It doesn't affect the outcome of the game, but if you're playing to experience the story and the characters, it's important to hold on to it. (and since this is PS:T...
  8. Torment How to enjoy Planescape Torment

Plus, the flirty little interaction between TNO and Annah as they're giving each other thieving tips is worth experiencing. But it's probably best to play as a mage with high INT and WIS. The full-screen spell effects in the big fights at the end of the game heighten the drama. Be sure to...
  9. Baldur's Gate Two: Mods

I like this picture. It reminds me of *Time Bandits*. No, seriously!
  10. A Thought on PST

That would be a bummer. Your writing on the game has been very interesting.
  11. A Thought on PST

I like this hopeful interpretation a lot, and it does help to explain why The Nameless One isn't cast into the form of a lemure or a nupperibo or larva or whatever when he arrives in the Lower Planes. We never actually see him die, so perhaps he *isn't* dead, and that means he's got (literally)...
  12. A Thought on PST

I found myself hoping the same thing. Maybe it's a rationalization on behalf of a character I really liked, but I tried to convince myself that he could hang on to his humanity after eons of bashing demons' skulls in the Blood War, and figure out how to escape his damnation. Then again, Grace...
  13. A Thought on PST

Oh, but he doesn't *join* the Blood War. He's damned to the Blood War because of all the evil acts he did in past incarnations. The Nameless One's good acts *did* have consequences -- for his companions, and for the planes. They just couldn't possibly outweigh the horrible things he did. So...
  14. A Thought on PST

It's that there's no alternative other than consigning The Nameless One to the Blood War or talking himself out of existence altogether. The writers do so much to make you care about the character(s), and then break your heart at the end; it's not quite so easy to condemn the Nameless One all...
  15. A Thought on PST

DorrieB, your excellent writing on PS:T has me reloading the game and giving it another runthrough, but I think Kairal and others have a point here. Spending an eternity in the Blood War is supposed to be the worst fate possible. I really dig your argument that there's something triumphant...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom