Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Recent content by waveplay

1. People News Brian Fargo plans to retire after Wasteland 3 is released

Nah it makes perfect sense that after 38 years of an intense career he'd want to call it quits. Why always speculate on some secret reason?
  2. Things T:TON Did Right and Constructive Criticism for a Sequel

I'd say if you're gonna make a game that has such a focus on dialog and dialog trees, let the players maximize the dialog interface. In fact, they should add that functionality in an update.
  3. Kotor 1 destroys my brain cells. The pain... Aaaargh!!!

I've been trying time and again to finish this game for the last 10 years. I actually played Kotor 2 before the first one and loved it mostly thanks to the writing. It was all the good parts of the movies (basically Yoda's philosophical babble about the force) amped up to 11. I couldn't complete...
  4. Incline Greatest mechanics based ideas in cRPGs

Yup, exactly. I remember being put off by the left-swing-right-swing-left-swing clunkyness of it all. I only bothered persevering because my best friend promised me it would get better, so I can empathize with the people who wrote it off early on. Another great idea was that you could pick...
  5. Development Info Pillars of Eternity II Q&A Stream #5

Yeah that's what I found coming to Pillars shortly after finishing up BG2. They look very similar at a glance but Pillars is really its own thing.
  6. Development Info Pillars of Eternity II Q&A Stream #5

So, first off about me: combat isn't really what I play RPG's for, though it is important that it isn't actively terrible. If it makes me think tactically and strategically that's all I pretty much want, but I'm not inclined to go number-crunching and delve deeply into min-maxing. I guess for me...
  7. Development Info Pillars of Eternity II Q&A Stream #5

I'm currently playing (and enjoying) Pillars. What's the big criticism against its combat system? I guess it's not earthshatteringly amazing or anything, but I find it satisfying and I like that different builds are viable. How is it fun-free and what should they change in your eyes to make it...
  8. The voice of reason

The voice of reason
  9. Game News Torment Kickstarter Update #66: Post-Release Plans

I understand that people who want good combat in their RPGs would find it a real issue with the game. But then, it's kind of the whole pitch for a Torment game, isn't it? The focus is decidedly on dialog at the expense of (good) combat.
  10. Incline Greatest mechanics based ideas in cRPGs

I don't know if you can count it as a mechanic as such, but Gothic's character advancement being tied to seeking out trainers in the game world was great fun. When you invest more skill points into swordfighting, you'd actually have better animations for swinging, which is awesome. I also loved...
  11. Does Gothic 3 get any better ?

Haha thanks for the link. I'm genuinely a new member of the forum, so not an alt or troll. Apart from the over-the-top negativity (elitism doesn't feel like the right term) around these parts, it's a good place for RPG discussion, I find.
  12. Does Gothic 3 get any better ?

I remember back in the day when I played Gothic 3 on its buggy release. The boars were unbeatable, but I could comfortably take on an entire settlement's worth of orcs. They would surround you and attack you one by one Batman Arkham Asylum style. You just had to swipe with your sword in all...
  13. Game News Torment Kickstarter Update #66: Post-Release Plans

Man there's a lot of hate for inXile. Still haven't really played Torment (only a few hours of Sagus Cliffs) but what I did play was enjoyable and refreshingly different from the usual RPG fare thanks to setting and writing. Where does all this anger stem from? Because of the cut content...
  14. Does Gothic 3 get any better ?

On a related note, as I haven't played Risen yet: does Risen 1 actually improve on Gothic 3?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom