Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

DA is anticlimatic.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
I finished fights with brood mother and the ancient darkspawn, both these fights were very anticlimactic.

Brood mother was baked in inferno and crushing cage, while both two handed main characters whacked it. These occasional interrupts were used for whacking her reinforcements.

Ancient darkspawn fight was very anticlimactic, Wyne cast spell might, Morrigan cast cone of cold, after ancient darkspawn was falling down. I casted virulent bomb... ancient darkspawn wend down in few seconds.

Kinda wonder what do they mean it can flatten down unprepared party.

made

Arcane
Broodmother maybe, the ancient darkspawn dragon demon lord can probably be defeated by a party of 4 naked warriors equipped with bows. Some of the fights leading to him were significantly harder than the boss himself due to the huge amount of trash mobs thrown at you.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Ancient darkspawn fight was very anticlimactic, Wyne cast spell might, Morrigan cast cone of cold, after ancient darkspawn was falling down. I casted virulent bomb... ancient darkspawn wend down in few seconds. "

How can this be anticlimatic when there is no real build up for it?

"Broodmother maybe, the ancient darkspawn dragon demon lord can probably be defeated by a party of 4 naked warriors equipped with bows."

Stop the lies, start the truths. Please.

Gay-Lussac

Arcane
Malakal said:
Raghar said:
Kinda wonder what do they mean it can flatten down unprepared party.

No mages or one mage maximum. Try fighting with that.

I was playing just me two handed fighter, sten, morrigan and zevran, and I went to orzammar as one of my first locations. I can tell you some fights were literally impossible even on hard no matter what tactit I used.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Volourn said:
"Ancient darkspawn fight was very anticlimactic, Wyne cast spell might, Morrigan cast cone of cold, after ancient darkspawn was falling down. I casted virulent bomb... ancient darkspawn wend down in few seconds. "

How can this be anticlimatic when there is no real build up for it?

There was a buidup. First there were rumors about flattening whole party. Then there was that crawling through deep roads. Then suddenly a red dot on a map that said Ancient darkspawn appeared. Then darkspawn did something with wide are effect and ran at us. Then dark spawn resisted Wyne's petrify. Then Sten hit darkspawn into the head by his two handed sword, when it fell it was frozen by Morigan, and received magic missile.

When in the party would be Alistar, and Leliana, it would end the same. Alistar would bitch, darkspawn would receive one magic missile after another, Sten would whack it by meteoric sword with paralisis rune and possibly some poison, Leliana would hit it by a bow. Majority of damage would happen because of Sten and Leliana.

Paralysis and cold spells + Coup de Grace + Heroic Offense = Any single target gets destroyed. Any. Disgustingly simple.

The unbearable easiness of parties with mages, coupled with the unbearable teadiousness of 50 of the same fights in every area with auto scaling enemies that all fight 90% the same, create a game that is both uninteresting from a tactical point of view and makes it stretch out for hours.

Pliskin

Arbiter
Overweight Manatee said:
The unbearable easiness of parties with mages, coupled with the unbearable teadiousness of 50 of the same fights in every area with auto scaling enemies that all fight 90% the same, create a game that is both uninteresting from a tactical point of view and makes it stretch out for hours.

Two mages double-teaming on Cone of Cold / Stone Fist and Petrify / Crushing Prison can shatter (i.e; INSTAKILL) anything.

I killed the archdeamon by spamming Cone of Cold (rediculously fast recovery on such a powerful spell), and back-stabbing from my rogue PC. It was over in under a minute. Nice death animation, I'll give it that.

What was increadibly built-up, and subsequently turned out to be total bollocks, was the "train the factions mighty armies to fight in the final battle". You know, donate all that cash / gems / runes / herbs to the homeless beggars in yr campsite? (Aside: Why the fuck do the Elves beg for healing herbs, when the merchant at their camp sells unlimited quantities of the stuff?!? Must be some kick-back scam). Anyway, in the event, the "mighty army" turned out to be something like 5 dwarves and 10 elves --- and you could only have one faction on the field at a time! WTF? I mostly used the mages --- and then only as cannon fodder.

Heresiarch said:
Wow, good thing I stopped playing the game (at Orzammar).
Lowest point in the game, by far.

Choose one of two dwarves to rule the kingdom! Even though you (a) don't care, (b) don't know a single thing about either of them, (c) are an outsider and (d) aren't told about either of their ideals other than a few ideas. Wow. Choices and consequences!

Then there are the dungeons that last, and last. Awful. When the greatest difficult you face is to actually finish the damn thing, it's bad. The elf/werewolf portion wasn't that bad and even gave you some optional paths to go down.

Pliskin said:
Volourn said:
"5 dwarves"

wut?

+1 if you can convince the Legion of the Dead commander to help out.
Is that last segment even worth the effort? Everything after the Urn quest seemed to be a grind just to get through. Not grind as in difficulty, it's tremendously easy but very boring and repetitive. Uninspired dungeon after uninspired dungeon. The last bit particularly so.

After taking down Gaxkang, Flemeth, all the dragons, and Revenants that I know of, there really isn't anything else worthwhile to do.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"+1 if you can convince the Legion of the Dead commander to help out."

Keep bullshitting as you keep embarassing yourself. You get 50 dwarves, and 50 elves. FFS Stop the lies, start the truths.

Pliskin said:
You know, donate all that cash / gems / runes / herbs to the homeless beggars in yr campsite? (Aside: Why the fuck do the Elves beg for healing herbs, when the merchant at their camp sells unlimited quantities of the stuff?!? Must be some kick-back scam).

They are begging, the merchant is selling

Pliskin

Arbiter
Volourn said:
"+1 if you can convince the Legion of the Dead commander to help out."

Keep bullshitting as you keep embarassing yourself. You get 50 dwarves, and 50 elves. FFS Stop the lies, start the truths.

All on the battlefield at the same time?

I think not.

sheek

Arbiter
The Ninth Circle said:
Heresiarch said:

Choose one of two dwarves to rule the kingdom! Even though you (a) don't care, (b) don't know a single thing about either of them, (c) are an outsider and (d) aren't told about either of their ideals other than a few ideas. Wow. Choices and consequences!

Then there are the dungeons that last, and last. Awful. When the greatest difficult you face is to actually finish the damn thing, it's bad. The elf/werewolf portion wasn't that bad and even gave you some optional paths to go down.
Orzammar is total fucking shit. I told myself I would finish it to get it out of the way, so I could have a stretch of more fun interesting side quests and explore Denerim, I am still there. Probably the blandest, dumbest dungeons I've ever "cleared" in an RPG. At least Arcanum/Black Mountain had some variety in enemies and challenges.

made

Arcane
Volourn said:
"Broodmother maybe, the ancient darkspawn dragon demon lord can probably be defeated by a party of 4 naked warriors equipped with bows."

Stop the lies, start the truths. Please.

Idk son, maybe he's super-challenging on the xbox due to controller issues, but certainly not on PC. He just takes ages to kill because he flies around and can only be hit with ranged/magic/conveniently placed catapults.

Dnny

Educated
sheek said:
The Ninth Circle said:
Heresiarch said:

Orzammar is total fucking shit. I told myself I would finish it to get it out of the way, so I could have a stretch of more fun interesting side quests and explore Denerim, I am still there. Probably the blandest, dumbest dungeons I've ever "cleared" in an RPG. At least Arcanum/Black Mountain had some variety in enemies and challenges.

Yeah even Arcanum crap combat is superior to DA. Unlike DA, there was many ways to take down an enemy and the enemies had much greater variety, fighting a golem with a sword would've been asstarded while I never felt the need in DA to switch my weapons or spell strategy. Basically in DA there is no need to ever "think", just equip the weapon that deals the max damages, use cold and paralysis spells and be done with it. Same working strategy for ALL of the game.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Idk son, maybe he's super-challenging on the xbox due to controller issues, but certainly not on PC. He just takes ages to kill because he flies around and can only be hit with ranged/magic/conveniently placed catapults.

they're not talking about the archdemon, but about an ancient (red named) darkspawn in the derp roads, you probably didn't notice because he's a complete wuss

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom