Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Troika's best game?

Which of Troika's games was the best?

• Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • The Temple of Elemental Evil

• Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines

• All their games were equally bad.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012
The Poll Question said:
VtMB wins as a game overall. Arcanum has great roleplaying in it. But i was bored to tears, almost giving up, at those endless shitty combat encounters.

St. Toxic

Arcane
Longshanks said:
It is? My first two playthroughs, at least, of Arcanum and VtmB were without fan patches - no significant problems. They're not broken games, by any stretch.

Played all three without patches and enjoyed them all... up to a point. At that point I felt the need for a break, a month or two, before finally completing the games with immense enjoyment as the end result.

Fucking Quality Poster

jagged-jimmy said:
The Poll Question said:
VtMB wins as a game overall. Arcanum has great roleplaying in it. But i was bored to tears, almost giving up, at those endless shitty combat encounters.

So you decided to be stubborn instead just switching to real time or speeding up the TB in the options menu?

Funny how you guys lash out at games based around action but then condemn Arcanum for having what some people would call 'lackluster' combat.

Black Cat

Magister
Bloodlines was their best game mostly because it was the only game that did not totally suck and fail. It has as much in common with role playing games as Deus Ex and Mass Effect do, nya.

Temple of Elemental Evil had an amazing combat engine but the design of encounters and quests and dungeons was awfully bad. It must be one of the most pedestrian and mundane and inane dungeon crawls i have ever seen, and i have seen a lot.

Arcanum was a mess, period. All it had going for it was a somewhat cool setting that was terribly underused and a world that would have been cool to explore had they used all the content in a single hugely detailed city instead of trying to make an entire and over abstracted continent full of one room manors and stuffies and thingies, and Steampunk plus Lovecraftian is way cooler than Steampunk plus High Fantasy anyaway.

So it's either the third option or the fourth one. Choices and consequences, nya.

Bloodlines, but it's close (obviously, Arcanum being second). Both are in my top 5 games.

I base this on which game I'd likely have the urge to play through sooner.

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012
Lebanese Warrior said:
jagged-jimmy said:

So you decided to be stubborn instead just switching to real time or speeding up the TB in the options menu?

Funny how you guys lash out at games based around action but then condemn Arcanum for having what some people would call 'lackluster' combat.
Actually i played in real time and was quite a melee munchkin, killing anything in 2-3 blows. I still was bored. There are so called KO criteria. And Combat KOed Arcanum pretty much, especially in the middle-late game.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Darth Roxor said:
Bloodlines, but I haven't played ToEE, so no vote from me :smug:

You should, it's quite fun if you go into it with the right mindset. And this is a storyfag recommending a combat-game ;)

Petrell

Educated
Arcanum. The thing wrong with it is that they tried to put multiplayer and real time combat needed for it where it does not belong. They should have exlusivly focused on single player and turn based combat.

Bloodlines comes close second. Another unpolished game made shine by fans.

I never managed to aquire ToEE so I can't say anything about it. It too has cult following so it can't be all bad.

It's official. Codex prefers dark, mature and gritty games over everything else. Yay for huge boobs, blood and goth music!

Kz3r0

Arcane
Black Cat said:
Bloodlines was their best game mostly because it was the only game that did not totally suck and fail. It has as much in common with role playing games as Deus Ex and Mass Effect do, nya.

Temple of Elemental Evil had an amazing combat engine but the design of encounters and quests and dungeons was awfully bad. It must be one of the most pedestrian and mundane and inane dungeon crawls i have ever seen, and i have seen a lot.

Arcanum was a mess, period. All it had going for it was a somewhat cool setting that was terribly underused and a world that would have been cool to explore had they used all the content in a single hugely detailed city instead of trying to make an entire and over abstracted continent full of one room manors and stuffies and thingies, and Steampunk plus Lovecraftian is way cooler than Steampunk plus High Fantasy anyaway.

So it's either the third option or the fourth one. Choices and consequences, nya.
BlackCat.jpg

scient

Augur
Satori said:
Soundwise we had the same (although good) tune playing throughout Arcanum constantly whereas Bloodlines gave us this and this and this and of course this with the addition of the excellent voiceacting.

I forgot how awesome Bloodlines soundtrack is. Will have to replay it again when I have some time. I've yet to play Arcanum, I did try ToEE but didn't like it.

Chaud

Novice
Hory said:
VtMB is better at what it is than Arcanum. Arcanum has shit combat for a RPG. Bloodlines has average combat for an Action game.

Oh, I see that it's good for what it is. :decline:

I am inclined to say that Arcanum is the best. But as from the first time I played, I was using the patch made by Drog, I don't know if I can say that this is the merit of the game itself. Better yet, I know I can't say that it is. Anyway, it's the same case in Bloodlines - since the first time I had contact with the game, I searched the internet for unofficial paths. So I don't think that I can make an accurate analysis.

therapist

Novice
Black said:
I still can't get what was so amazing about Vampire's story.
You just had to run around looking for the plot item.

The plot isn't that great, it's the snappy dialogue and quirky characters that make it enjoyable.

Though when I got to the part where the game crashes every time you try to leave the Society of Leopold with the boat, I remembered why Troika needed to die.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
Kz3r0 said:
Black Cat said:

BlackCat.jpg

Teutonic.jpg

DEUS VULT

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom