Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial The Transparency of Mass Effect 2

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: BioWare; Mass Effect 2

thegamereviews take a <a href="http://www.thegamereviews.com/article-1681-Challenging-Conventions-8-The-Transparency-of-Mass-Effect-2.html">closer look at ME2</a> questioning certain design choices.
<br>
<br>
<p style="margin-left:50px;border-style:solid;border-width:1px;border-top-color:#ffffff;padding:5px;border-right-color:#bbbbbb;border-left-color:#ffffff;border-bottom-color:#bbbbbb;">Instead, you gain your crew’s loyalty by doing explicitly spelled out "loyalty missions". What this means is that it doesn’t matter how you treat your crew, because as long as you help solve their problems you’re okay in their book. This is very disappointing because it means you can be a total boyscout (or girlscout) and gain the respect of everyone, or you can be a jerk and still gain the respect of everyone.
<br>
<br>
Wouldn’t it be so much better if your crew reacted to you based on your actions throughout the game? I picked a rare Renegade option early on and pissed off Tali, your engineer friend and former teammate from the first game. When I ran into her later on in the game, all was well. When Garrus, a crime-fighting vigilante, wants you to assist him in his quest for vengeance at the hands of a rat, he applauds your decision to either aid him in the assassination or talk him out of it. These win/win situations cheapen the decisions. Shouldn’t your character be judged by their actions throughout rather than if you agree to help with personal matters when the fate of the galaxy is at stake?
<br>
</p>
<br>
<br>
The Codex can shed light on the issue at hand.
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/96859-the-transparency-of-mass-effect-2.html">GB again</A>

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Instead, you gain your crew’s loyalty by doing explicitly spelled out "loyalty missions". What this means is that it doesn’t matter how you treat your crew, because as long as you help solve their problems you’re okay in their book. "

Not completely true. In fact, it's total bullshit. a) You can fail loyalty missions b) You may not be able tor ecruit everyone and c) You can lose loyalty AFTER compelting the loyalty mission. FFS

"Shouldn’t your character be judged by their actions throughout rather than if you agree to help with personal matters when the fate of the galaxy is at stake? "

Why? It's about their personal loyalty to YOU not tot he galaxy dumbnutz. That'ss aid, some of the characters probably should judge you based on your overalla ction sie. Samara, but someone like Miranda would probably be more concerned how you treat her personal dilemma. Fucknutz.

Cassidy

Arcane
Silellak said:
It's a good thing the Codex is posting every ME2-related article on the web as "news".

Considering how things are regarding CRPGs, it's either that or posting 1 news article once a year at best.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Volourn said:
Why? It's about their personal loyalty to YOU not tot he galaxy dumbnutz. That'ss aid, some of the characters probably should judge you based on your overalla ction sie. Samara, but someone like Miranda would probably be more concerned how you treat her personal dilemma. Fucknutz.

Uhhh. The way it works, it seems like Renegade / Paragon dialogue choices is a redone feature of Force Persuade & Force Intimdate. It just seems ridiculous that it all boils down to whether you helped the guy or not.

Whatever happened to NPC's motivations conflicting with the player's? It seemed like they wanted to make Shepard to be a heroic figure, capable of bending every crew member's will. Too predictable. It should have been an influence based system. With semi-hidden hints through dialogue like sarcastic quips / supportive statement. At least it's more believable.

Nightjed

Liturgist
call me a heretic but after DAO i prefer the loyalty missions, the devs have to work REALLY hard to make the approve-disapprove system to work and today they just wont do it, so they end up with DAO's freaking mess, i felt like i was shackled to 3 huge iron balls that kept nagging me to do this or do that or have them lose their "strength bonus" (Shale went freaking HOSTILE for a choice i made after she said something like she didn't care/favored my choice... that was a big wtf), at least in ME2 they just comment "harsh" or "was that necessary?" while you move on to grab some more collars

also, punching journalists in the face or shooting stupid ppl in the foot would be a lot less satisfying with your companions bitching about it

Volourn said:
"Instead, you gain your crew’s loyalty by doing explicitly spelled out "loyalty missions". What this means is that it doesn’t matter how you treat your crew, because as long as you help solve their problems you’re okay in their book. "

Not completely true. In fact, it's total bullshit. a) You can fail loyalty missions b) You may not be able tor ecruit everyone and c) You can lose loyalty AFTER compelting the loyalty mission. FFS

you have to work HARDER to fail them than to win them and "not doing them" is equivalent to "not playing ME2" since 90% of me2 is the npc missions

Black

Arcane
Silellak said:
It's a good thing the Codex is posting every ME2-related article on the web as "news".
You play the role of a shepherd .

^
r00fles!

Rhalle

Magister
It's the future of C&C and the natural evolution from Alignmemt -> Paragon-Regegade -> ?.

If you make the world 'grey', and remove good and evil, then you don't have to worry about the character's moral choices actually changing the game on a large scale.

It's a lesson in how to avoid having to make effectively 2 games in one box, which one would have to do otherwise.

Pliskin

Arbiter
Rhalle said:
It's the future of C&C and the natural evolution from Alignmemt -> Paragon-Regegade -> ?.

If you make the world 'grey', and remove good and evil, then you don't have to worry about the character's moral choices actually changing the game on a large scale.

It's a lesson in how to avoid having to make effectively 2 games in one box, which one would have to do otherwise.

2 games in one box? Used to be 3 or 4.

Well, since the days of real C&C (you know, where you get one shot at a dialogue choice, and you live with it) are over, that's never going to happen again.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Fake choices? In MY ME2? UNPOSSIBLE.

Valid complaint though. Not original or imaginative, but well.

Grifthin

Educated
I loved how samara threatens to kill your renegade character for what you forced her to do (she's oathed to you only so long as the reaper threat exists). Good thing her sorry arse died at the end.

Nightjed

Liturgist
Grifthin said:
I loved how samara threatens to kill your renegade character for what you forced her to do (she's oathed to you only so long as the reaper threat exists). Good thing her sorry arse died at the end.

how did you get her to say that ?

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Grifthin said:

What is she forced to do exactly?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom