Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian: Closure of Forums

NeverwinterKnight

Liturgist
personally, i think it would be a mistake. obsidian is already seeing a backlash from the bugs and/or poor ending for the game, and already took some flack for moving the nwn2 forums over to biowares boards.

i think it could suggest to some (although im not sure id agree) that obsidian doesnt really care about their customers.

if its due to bandwith costs, then i dont have a problem with them closing them. but if its just because they dont have time to ban/moderate the trolls coming on there with their "OMG U SUX OBSIDIEN!", then i think they should just find someone to handle those chores (and no volourn, not you :P )

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
D R A M A

P.S. Obsidian should hire me. If people think the BIo boards are Nazis; just watch out!

"the boards clearly differenciates BIS spirit from BIO"

That's right. BIo doesn't goa round whining about people. They don't threaten to get rid of the baords because a certain group are trolls. They ban the trolls. period. That's very logical.

Arkan

Novice
I'm taking credit for the BIO Jr nomencalture. No one else can have it. Weept.

MarFish

Liturgist
The move makes sense. Sacrificing team morale to a few "freedom of speech and insults" kiddies is not worth it.

Arkan

Novice
MarFish said:
The move makes sense. Sacrificing team morale to a few "freedom of speech and insults" kiddies is not worth it.

Yeah, if a few kiddies spouting inane drivel hurst their feelings, wait until a displeased reviewer gets their turn. Oh wait, they have, and LA is in their own little uproar. Developers need to have thicker hides than this.

MarFish

Liturgist
Arkan said:
MarFish said:

Yeah, if a few kiddies spouting inane drivel hurst their feelings, wait until a displeased reviewer gets their turn. Oh wait, they have, and LA is in their own little uproar. Developers need to have thicker hides than this.

Average review score for KotOR 2 is 86%. good.
KotOR 2 will sell millions of copies. good.

If you think that the little uproar on the boards has any impact on sales, you are deceiving yourself. Based on that Blizzard would not even exist anymore, their boards have always been in complete uproar for any of their game, especially after the monthly bannings come in.

NeverwinterKnight

Liturgist
MarFish said:

the problem is the people who seem to be getting under obsidians skin are a small percentage of the actual posters on obsidians boards. and more often than not its just a trolling newbie with very little constructive critisism.

if thats why theyre closing it, then thats a bit silly, considering those posters amount to probably less than 5% of the total forum members.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
It's pretty ridiculous that the Obsidian developers have such thin skin for criticism. If they feel that some posters are being unfair or simply trolling, they should just ban those posters instead of closing down the entire forum.

radon

Novice
I think a few forumites there have migrated here. Surlent, zer"0", stark... I'm sure there's others. There's also the old BIS remnants like the Winterwind forums, or even Missy's Lair. And Bioware, even.

Screw that shit man I would hate to see a bunch of random scrubby little kids run in here with their stupid comments and retarded opinions. I would hate to see those little "chodes" come in here and bitch about how much they dissliked NWN. Everyone fucking hates it, but no one talks about it, so STFU children and let us talk shit on every other dev in peace.

MarFish

Liturgist
Exitium said:
It's pretty ridiculous that the Obsidian developers have such thin skin for criticism. If they feel that some posters are being unfair or simply trolling, they should just ban those posters instead of closing down the entire forum.

Which is pretty much what Feargus wrote. They'll close the boards, hire a community manage and then weed out people like Arkan. After that the boards will reopen and the trolls stay at RPG Codex.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
If you think we've got most of the trolls, you would be wrong in that assessment. Mistress' Lair is the home to Hades, Sargallath, ShadowPaladin and Gromnir.

Dgaider

Liturgist
Developer
Wow, I just want to say that Feargus totally rocks. :cool:

Sad that a few posters with an overblown sense of entitlement have to ruin it for the others. The Bioware forums certainly have no shortage of them, and sometimes it makes it seem hardly worth it.

Surlent

Liturgist
Obsidian hasn't announced any new products therefore no new forums, KotR2 forums are full of whining about bugs/cutted endings and NWN2 forums are at Bio's place. Not only that they cut the General CRPG discussion forum (which was the best of their forums IMO) into several useless categories. Nowadays Obsidian's forums are more wasteland than anything else, so it's no surprise Feargie is considering options.

Ironically if Feargus decides to pull the plug off their forums, only forum they have left is NWN2 at Bio's site. So Feargus doesn't want to sound BioJr ?

and on the way, congrats Feargus.

MarFish

Liturgist
Exitium said:
If you think we've got most of the trolls, you would be wrong in that assessment. Mistress' Lair is the home to Hades, Sargallath, ShadowPaladin and Gromnir.

I bow to your wisdom, you are indeed right, that is a proverbial troll's lair dwarves the Codex in any sense.

Mistress

Liturgist
Exitium said:
Missy's Lair is an outhouse, though. All they do over there is wet themselves over the middle aged horny female presences.

But you haven't been with us for ages Exit! Let me know if you plan on visiting, I'll get some brand new rubber sheets just for the occasion.

DemonKing

Arcane
Exitium said:
Since Feargus gave birth to his second baby, I suppose.

Feargus gave birth???? Wow - I had no idea science had progressed that far...please don't tell my wife!

Maybe he's in post-natal depression?

Arkan said:
I'm taking credit for the BIO Jr nomencalture. No one else can have it.

I like BioBitches myself... :lol:

Well, on one hand I can understand Feargie being pissed with being labelled Bio this or that, but I don't think you can blame the fans for latching on to it. If the shoe fits, as they say...

Killzig

Cipher
Patron
Bioleftovers... that's pretty fucking funny. You know, Feargut, you've got to take the bad with the good. The Good being a SLAM DUNK sure fire hit, the Bad being internationally recognized as Bioware's lap dog. Shit happens.

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
That's what you get on boards with poor or lacking moderation. In the end it's only fun for the people who start thumping their chests and spitting on the people who run the boards whenever they dare to tell them that they can't play in someone else's house by their own rules (or lack of any), but by the rules of the host. This especially goes for official forums. Crying about a situation which is the logical outcome of not taking precautions when prudent is really futile. We're running a highly moderated community on SP which doesn't bow to any passing moron, and our members are infinitely grateful for it. Of course, this means we're only getting a fraction of members we could have had otherwise, but I'll take a smaller & more mature community over a larger and troll-infested one any day. Of course, running a well moderated community takes a lot of effort, patience, tact & knowledge on the part of the moderators, but nothing good ever comes easy. Anyway, my point is that official sites anywhere are the ones that should be the most strictly moderated. There are plenty of other boards for the rabble and trolls to spam, so no one sane running an official board should feel obligated to cater to them. Don't worry about it, you ban them on your board, they just become someone's else problem on another board. There's no permanent damage done.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Sad that a few posters with an overblown sense of entitlement have to ruin it for the others. The Bioware forums certainly have no shortage of them, and sometimes it makes it seem hardly worth it."

Now, now. No need to attack me. :twisted: :wink:

P.S. The wink is to show I'm kidding. :lol:

Greatatlantic

Erudite
Dgaider said:
Wow, I just want to say that Feargus totally rocks. :cool:

Sad that a few posters with an overblown sense of entitlement have to ruin it for the others. The Bioware forums certainly have no shortage of them, and sometimes it makes it seem hardly worth it.

I find it funny you are saying that here, where more than a few people have taken pot shots at Bioware...probably myself included. Though, I agree it is a pretty bad thing to do that on one's own turf. To go to a site dedicated to a game or company and insult is just plain bad taste. Of course, I had to comment about the Kingmaker RPG of the Year win. Thats just messed up. I'd like to think I did so constructively, however...

Reklar

Liturgist
Taluntain said:
That's what you get on boards with poor or lacking moderation. In the end it's only fun for the people who start thumping their chests and spitting on the people who run the boards whenever they dare to tell them that they can't play in someone else's house by their own rules (or lack of any), but by the rules of the host. This especially goes for official forums. Crying about a situation which is the logical outcome of not taking precautions when prudent is really futile. We're running a highly moderated community on SP which doesn't bow to any passing moron, and our members are infinitely grateful for it. Of course, this means we're only getting a fraction of members we could have had otherwise, but I'll take a smaller & more mature community over a larger and troll-infested one any day. Of course, running a well moderated community takes a lot of effort, patience, tact & knowledge on the part of the moderators, but nothing good ever comes easy. Anyway, my point is that official sites anywhere are the ones that should be the most strictly moderated. There are plenty of other boards for the rabble and trolls to spam, so no one sane running an official board should feel obligated to cater to them. Don't worry about it, you ban them on your board, they just become someone's else problem on another board. There's no permanent damage done.

I agree 100% with your perspective on forum moderation, Taluntain. We operate on the same principle in my writing community and though it's not a large community like the Codex, at least we aren't subjected to incessant internet kiddie drivel. I like how the Codex moderates as well, but I'm glad I'm not an admin. ;)

-Reklar
(a Fallout/RPG fan)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom