Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

starcraft 2 beta motherfuckers

relootz

Scholar
It says cant open map when i try to launch the program for sandbox play, anyone know what to do?

You have to download the cache files for each map.

http://botdev.org/doku.php?id=tutorials

If you are trying to play vs. AI, I wouldn't bother now. It appears the AI is some custom crap that sucks hard, not the real thing. Also you can't select your race as far as I can tell. Give it another week, hopefully it will be better by then.

J1M

Arcane
DaveO said:
By making comments about a beta, aren't you likely violating a Non-Disclosure Agreement?

Beta is irrelevant anyway since the content patch for Diablo 2 was mentioned months before this as being in beta and there is nothing in sight to prove it. I figure ~ still 5 more years for Diablo 3 and 10 for Starcraft 2.
:roll:
No.
http://forums.battle.net/thread.html?to ... 9&sid=5000

Feel free to look around the forums if you want to hear about how roaches are OP.

MapMan

Arcane
There is an AI version out that will rape you very quickly unless you are a korean. Good for practice.

Hmm, I was just using 5.0 of his AI and lolsteamrolled zerg with protoss, about 40 zealots/stalkers and some immortals vs a handful of zerglings and roaches. Is it just really weak with certain races?

Also, do you by any chance know how to choose races instead having them randomly picked?

MapMan

Arcane
Havnt played against zerg but terran and protoss expand pretty good. Im not sure how big gap there is between 5.0 and 5.1 but you should surely upgrade and if thats not enough you can try the cheating version.

And no, you cant select races. You need to restart (menu->restart) till you get the race you want.

5.5 just came out, played a decent PvT, while fighting TvZ and PvZ showed off some still rather unimpressive zerg AI.

It doesn't seem to understand wall-ins at all, it will happily decide it has the advantage with 12 zerglings vs 4 zealots even when the choke is small enough that only 3 zerglings can attack at once. Even worse results when they fight terrans with marines camping behind supply depots. Its understandable I guess, I'm sure its rather hard to get AI to recognize such things. After that, it didn't really seem to try an counter my marauders/immortals and instead just kept massing roaches, which get torn apart. One of my immortals had 35 kills lol.

To be fair, from what I have heard/seen 95% of the zergs on Bnet are doing nothing more then massing roaches and mashing their face on the keyboard while they roll into enemy bases, so I guess it emulates multiplayer decently :lol:

Monocause

Arcane
I'll give it a go and remove the beta from inventory, interested to see how's the game feel. Screenshots and YT videos look nice.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Been playing around a bit. Graphics are ok, runs decently enough on my old ass computer (Phenom II X4 720, 2GB of mem and a ragged Geforce 7800 GT) on medium setting, but i think if i ever get to play this on Battle.net i may need a new graphic card. Game seems to be exactly like Starcraft with various differences here and there, which was expected but still disappointing. Whatever, i guess it may be good for the occasional online fun.

Tails

Arbiter
SC2 won't be laptop friendly for sure :p on GeForce 9300M GS I get not more then 30 FPS - Medium Texture and overall Medium Settings.

I like the interface changes, unit and building management is easier. The ability to hide underground for Supply Depots is spot on. I didn't make up my mind about building requirements thingie, since with current dumb AI it's hard to find it good or bad.

The only thing I really dislike so far (like I felt it will end up) are those some new Terran units, they just don't fit the game for me. Marauders, Reapers and those all Mechas. God damn, even Command Center looks Mecha-like after Planetary Fortress upgrade.

Sounds are fine so far, thought the units responses lack a bit of vigour. New Terran music is disappointing, sounds moar like country music then Sci-Fi pseudo-industrial like in SC.

Multi-headed Cow

I'm mildly disappointed by the beta, but that's mostly because I was never that fond of the first Starcraft and this is more of the same. Good for what it is, but what it is I'm not that wild about.

Diablo 3's gonna be my thing.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Tails said:
Sounds are fine so far

I think they are rather underwhelming actually. They just don't have enough punch. Plus, some of them are ridiculous, like that shitty giant mech thing that talks like Arnold. Who came up with that idea?

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Stereotypical Villain said:
The Goliath was my favorite Starcraft unit. To think that they axed it for that mecha thing is just... uuuuuuurgh.

The Viking is the new Goliath. And yes, that was one of the coolest units in the game. Nerd rage +1

I agree, the terran's mech style has changed in a direction I don't like. Gameplay-wise mech seems almost useless since the vulture replacement is useless and the goliath is absent. All we are left with is spamming thors, which just isn't interesting and your army looks like an ugly hunk of metal that moves.

That said, I love the reapers.

Tails

Arbiter
Multi-headed Cow said:
I'm mildly disappointed by the beta, but that's mostly because I was never that fond of the first Starcraft and this is more of the same. Good for what it is, but what it is I'm not that wild about.
Well after longer a bit of playing I would say that overall unit movement, attacks and rest feels a bit like WC3, but this is probably price for going 3D, eh?

Overall so far it looks like SC2 is done by different Blizzard then we knew, atleast in visually and unit design.

kris

Arcane
I guess they keep some units for the other two games... Otherwise I'd say I not only miss some, but it feels like they stepped back from the original.

I got first beat up as terrans and then as Zerg until I beat the AI as protoss. But now I got a hang of the unit balance. Almost.

Multi-headed Cow

Download SC2 beta, let it patch, download lazylaunch, put in SC2 beta folder, download Turd AI, put in SC2 beta folder which goes in to mod folder or something, download map listed with AI, load map with lazylaunch, play bad game.

Firewrks

Novice
Played some FFAs on Lost Temple with the 5.5 AI, which were quite decent fun. Took me a bit to adjust when I first turned the game speed up to faster - the difference between it and normal is fucking intense.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom