Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

First Deus Ex 3 Screens

Joghurt

Augur
I've just spotted something worth noting about this game over at IGN. There is a new article:

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/107/1077443p1.html

Game Director Jean-Francois Dugas has said that a player can make his or her way through the entirety of Deus Ex: Human Revolution without killing a single person. Belletete added that players can also choose to not augment their bodies if they wish.

I must say that I am positively surprised

MetalCraze

Arcane
Yeah I guess in a game where your health insta-regenerates you can just run past enemies in corridors full of them.

But of course this is just a PR bullshit. At best he probably means that you will be able to "stun" everyone just like in AP and even though it will look the same we of course believe him, yay.

Talented developers died out a decade ago.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
MetalCraze said:
The original Deus Ex was a crappy game.

Whatever you say, Skyway :)

Seriously though, I agree with the health regen-part. Reading the below makes me want to fucking puke:

DX3 Team said:
The dev team wants players to focus on the gameplay challenges and on how they will tackle them. Going with the classic health pack system still forces players to retreat from confrontations and break the flow of the game to look for health packs when they run out of them. Instead of retreating to a previous location to grab/grind/harvest more med packs, the system keeps you in the action. The player is now forced to retreat in a tactical manner if he's in trouble, but he doesn't have to leave the whole area and start over because he was too low on health and stuck somewhere due to that fact. Its purpose is to increase the level of enjoyment of a player and remove all the down-time of back and forth induced by a "get medpack" philosophy. Overall, the team wants the player to stay in the events surrounding him and experience the tension indefinitely.

Additionally, the regen system works hand in hand with the cover system for creating and maintaining tension in the game experience. The cover system allows the player to take a few moments to rest and heal, but also to form a strategy before going back into action. This creates a trial and error system which is beneficiary to the player and doesn't require a frustrating reload (from death). So instead of running out of medpacks from trying different strategies, the player can move back and take cover, regroup, and go at it again until he finds a suitable solution.

Cover system, health-regen and handholding in my fucking Deus Ex? This is gonna blow worse than Invisible War.

DraQ

Arcane
Grunker said:
Cover system, health-regen and handholding in my fucking Deus Ex? This is gonna blow worse than Invisible War.
Why does no fucking one cope with healthpack problem by making injuries serious and consisting of more than abstract HP loss, and healing limited during combat? Why do they instead opt for auto-regen and insubstantial injuries?

Fifteen to ten years ago everything looked so promising - the games were mede increasingly complex and we were willing to accept HP meters and magical medkits as necessary abstractions (ok, I know, Robinson's Requiem didn't feature such "necessary" abstractions) that will go away with time.

When did everything go so wrong?

MetalCraze

Arcane
DraQ, this is just a PR talk - of course they are exaggerating by saying that you need to leave the area (you could always find and alternative way to bypass enemies durr hurr). When you read through the bullshit it suddenly sounds like "we can't make those console morons get punished because it took them half a minute to target an attacking enemy with their gamepad".

And obviously with health-regen all other pathes but a combat one become pointless. That's in contrast to original DX where a direct combat would give you much more problems than just finding a way around. And limited medkits you could carry forced you to stay very careful.

DraQ

Arcane
MetalCraze said:
DraQ, this is just a PR talk - of course they are exaggerating by saying that you need to leave the area (you could always find and alternative way to bypass enemies durr hurr). When you read through the bullshit it suddenly sounds like "we can't make those console morons get punished because it took them half a minute to target an attacking enemy with their gamepad".

I am... consoled.

And obviously with health-regen all other pathes but a combat one become pointless. That's in contrast to original DX where a direct combat would give you much more problems than just finding a way around.
Deus Ex could be pretty punishing towards clueless Rambo-wannabes - at least on "Realistic".
Later in game you could make yourself an unstoppable killing machine - ballistic protection + regen, etc., but by this time you probably got too accustomed to crawling through vents and hacking security terminals to consider combat alternatives.

STALKER's approach to health conservation would be pretty decent was it not for the instant medkits and bandages - if application of meds required you to keep stationary and not shoot for about a minute and if bandages only stopped bleeding and medkits healed others long-term afflictions (for example medkits could be necessary to stop bleeding if health loss exceeded certain threshold), it would have been heavan.

Cassidy

Arcane
It's a vicious cycle, a constant feedback of idiocy ensures growing idiocy.

People are "educated" by televitz and other forms of media, specially the shit known as public "education", to be morons and idiots by the system because if they weren't those who profit from their idiocy would lose much of their privileges.

Thus we get what we get. Gaming is only a small part of the greater evolutionary decline of mankind and civilization.

I've witnessed enough both IRL and in the Internets to actually be in favor of eugenics, despite the stupid ones and political correctness fags who always put a "Nazi" label over it to discredit the idea there are actually superior and inferior people, no matter how much they try to hide such fact, and the lack of a harsh environment where being a total idiot means death ensues a far greater number of inferior than of superior people, making of the former a bigger customer base.

DraQ said:
Grunker said:
Why does no fucking one cope with healthpack problem by making injuries serious and consisting of more than abstract HP loss, and healing limited during combat? Why do they instead opt for auto-regen and insubstantial injuries?

Yeah. At least the setting has cybernetic implants which can make the regen a little less grating.

DraQ said:
When did everything go so wrong?

More or less when they started thinking like this

and doesn't require a frustrating reload (from death)

Sodomy

Scholar
LOL @ people bitching about regen.

Newsflash, morons- the original Deus Ex also had it.

Of course, I'll never understand why such a shitty game as Deus Ex is praised around here. Grafting a broken and half-assed RPG onto a broken and boring FPS? Sounds like HEAVAN!!!!:roll:

Deus Ex had overpowered in-combat regeneration biomods available after like 3 levels anyway. Seriously, half way into the game you can keep your health fully topped off even while being sprayed with machine gun fire, and you will have 30 bio energy stufies to recharge with. I don't even use medpacks, they are useless and take up space that could be used for something important

What I'm worried about is the shitty cover system (and stupid combat that forces you to abuse it), almost certainly bad level design (lol 512 meg memory lol), and quest pointers (big ares r cnfusing).

Cassidy

Arcane
Sodomy said:
Of course, I'll never understand why such a shitty game as Deus Ex is praised around here. Grafting a broken and half-assed RPG onto a broken and boring FPS? Sounds like HEAVAN!!!!:roll:

I played it in the same way I tended to play Thief and Thief II rather than as a straight FPS. It was a flawed game(there is no point in hiding unconscious bodies for one and the fact the choices at the very end of the game define the endings is meh), but I wouldn't consider it boring. Neither I would judge its merits as a CRPG, but as a FPS(where the S can mean both "Shooter" and "Sneaker") with RPG elements, like System Shock 2 and Strife.

Regarding the overpowered Regen Aug, I rarely resorted to it because I got used to play it using stealth and surprise knockouts most of the time.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
LOLOLOLOL @ Sodomy for having shitty taste.

Newsflash, MORAN- the original DX had an optional implant that was obtained at the second half of the game and using it depleted your bio-energy pretty fast. Deu Sex 3 will have constant health regen from Tony Stark's unlimited-nuclear-pocket-generator or some shit.

Of course I'll never understand why I bothered to reply to this half-assed troll attempt. Probably because I'm drunk.

MetalCraze

Arcane
@Manatee
*256 meg memory. Remember - XBox360 shares memory with its integrated videocard. So it's either shitty textures but levels the size of UT map from 11 years ago or less shitty textures and levels the size of some counter-strike crap.

Newsflash, morons- the original Deus Ex also had it.
I imagine it had it without any player's effort and it restored your health to max in 2 seconds 100% of the time. Here even non-combat oriented character (read: this much less combat oriented character) will be a killing machine.
Don't compare how this worked on PC back then even with the lack of balance and works on consoles right now where it is included on purpose.

MetalCraze said:
*256 meg memory. Remember - XBox360 shares memory with its integrated videocard. So it's either shitty textures but levels the size of UT map from 11 years ago or less shitty textures and levels the size of some counter-strike crap.

You can still use more then 256 megs for textures and shit. Its 512 total that can be used for anything. Which is still really bad. Must add moar bloom to compensate for being able to see the individual texture pixels 50 feet away.

I do look forward to Square Enix showing their support by including 40 GB's of prerendered cutscenes of women wearing skimpy clothing, men wearing less, fighting whatever dragons/mechas/tentacle monters are to be found while crying about how horrible is that they have super powers and have to save the world and OMG IS SO MUCH PRESSURE IM DIEING INSIDE.

Sodomy

Scholar
ghostdog said:
Newsflash, MORAN- the original DX had an optional implant
Sure, "optional" if you wanted to take a blatantly inferior alternative.
that was obtained at the second half of the game
Actually, was obtained before the half-way point.
and using it depleted your bio-energy pretty fast.
Not fast enough to matter, given how easy it was to refill your bio-energy.

I imagine it had it without any player's effort and it restored your health to max in 2 seconds 100% of the time.
Actually, yes, it did.

Multi-headed Cow

DramaticPopcorn said:
Btw, I've never managed to play DeusEx 2. Is it any good?
Nowhere near as good as the first, not entirely awful.

Whereas Thief Deadly Shadows was a good part of the Thief series, warts and all, could have lived without IW.

Longshanks

Augur
Overweight Manatee said:
Deus Ex had overpowered in-combat regeneration biomods available after like 3 levels anyway. Seriously, half way into the game you can keep your health fully topped off even while being sprayed with machine gun fire, and you will have 30 bio energy stufies to recharge with. I don't even use medpacks, they are useless and take up space that could be used for something important
Yes it did. And that was even before it was cool (read compulsory for any big title). In fact, if we look at Deus Ex as an RPG, you'll see it was ahead of its time in its dumbening - almost non-existant character creation; weak stat effect on gameplay, "roleplaying" decisions with only cosmetic affect; character development mostly through ability selection; an almost entirely player-centric experience - you have three choices: kill, sneak or hack, all of which can be achieved with low character skill.

It's a cool game, but very much a lite modern RPG (if ME2's an RPG). Health regen and similar streamlining is entirely consistent with the original design. I'm sure Spector would approve.

Overweight Manatee said:
What I'm worried about is the shitty cover system (and stupid combat that forces you to abuse it), almost certainly bad level design (lol 512 meg memory lol), and quest pointers (big ares r cnfusing).
I'm not too concerned about the combat, as the original's was ordinary. The good thing about it? It wasn't a run and gun affair. Unfortunately, the shitty AI meant that "kill 'em all" was still very easy. This aspect should be improved on, but I'm almost sure it'll be made into a more actiony adrenaline pumping offering.

Deus Ex elevated itself through level design and attention to detail. Which is why I can't really get excited about a sequel. The story and setting is nothing special, nor are any of its game mechanics. A sequel can be good, but it won't be because it's a Deus Ex game, just that it's a well made game. Which is why I couldn't care less about the trailer not having guys in dark shades AND long black coats, and adding some new, somewhat more interesting, elements to the setting.

denizsi

Arcane
IW is a product of a painful transition; from a developer-centric game appealing to the average PC gamer to a publisher-centric one catering to the youngtards regarding the core mechanics, from an originally PC game to a multiplatform one in its technical aspects (map loading every few steps, too much development effort and hardware juice spent on gimmicks like the extremely shitty implementation of physics and the HOSHIT REAL TIME LIGHTING!1 and shitty interface to appeal to consoletards etc.) and finally, from a relatively naive and idealistic but focused attitude on games to a more relaxed and casual one by the developers themselves who seem to have said "I'm too old for this crap, let's just make a game and be done with it".

So, IW isn't a horrible game if you can cope with the consolization. It has some saving graces.

Now, DX3 is well past beyond any of these phases to have any saving graces at all. It's going to be a true product of its time, the age of the next-gen console shit. Even that shitty trailer that's all about cool factor for the youngtards is proof enough, if the name of Squirt Enix isn't. If you think that throwing a vague bunch of references to literature and art in a trailer that looks like a hack job of a music video from Massive Attack or a silly recreation of an artwork that is all about teh cool is "oh how intriguing", you're naive if not retarded.

tl;dr: GTFO. Codex don't need no non-reading illiterate fucks. There are enough of your kind as it is.

denizsi

Arcane
Longshanks said:
Overweight Manatee said:
Yes it did. And that was even before it was cool (read compulsory for any big title). In fact, if we look at Deus Ex as an RPG, you'll see it was ahead of its time in its dumbening - almost non-existant character creation; weak stat effect on gameplay, "roleplaying" decisions with only cosmetic affect; character development mostly through ability selection; an almost entirely player-centric experience - you have three choices: kill, sneak or hack, all of which can be achieved with low character skill.

It's a cool game, but very much a lite modern RPG (if ME2's an RPG). Health regen and similar streamlining is entirely consistent with the original design. I'm sure Spector would approve.

Apart from character creation, reads like a generic description of nearly any RPG :shrug:

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Longshanks said:
weak stat effect on gameplay
obvious troll is obvious.

Srsly, Deus Ex has about 10 skills and 10 aug slots, all of those are stats and believing they don't affect gameplay makes you a retard. In fact only a few posts ago someone complained that they affected it to much.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Wait, you niggers are actually bitching about DE3 having health regen? Really? Lets not forget that even the first DE had a health regen aug that made the game ridiculously easy.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom