Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Betrayal at Krondor on GoG

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Betrayal at Krondor

<a href="http://af.gog.com/en/gamecard/betrayal_at_krondor?as=1649904300">Betrayal at Krondor is now available on GoG.</a>
<br>
<br>
<p style="margin-left:50px;border-style:solid;border-width:1px;border-top-color:#ffffff;padding:5px;border-right-color:#bbbbbb;border-left-color:#ffffff;border-bottom-color:#bbbbbb;">Midkemia - a realm of enchantment and ancient magic where elves, dwarves and man once battled an unimaginable evil across ritfs in time and space.
<br>
<br>
The legends tell of a boy named Pug who would become Master Magician. His friend, Thomas, who would wield the unearthly armour of the Valheru and command the armies of Elvandar.
<br>
The land called Kelewan, the Dark Order of the Serpent Priests and the final titanic battle at Sethanon... It was an epic tale of villains and heroes, magic and men.
<br>
Now you can enjoy this fantastic role-playing experience in an all new tale from the Riftwar legacy.
<br>
</p>
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.gamebanshee.com/">GB</A>

Last edited by a moderator:

Zeus

Cipher
Rohit_N said:
Isn't the game freeware? Or was that only temporary?

It was made freeware to promote the sale of Betrayal at Antara.

I'm guessing Betrayal at Antara sales are down, so.

Micmu

Magister
Haha, this GaG shit is systematically destroying abandonware. I'm quite sure abandonia will be gag-ed and taken over very soon if this keeps up.
I pity the fools who give money to those shitheads.

Ogg

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
That was to be expected. We'll get used to it. :fatalist:

Anyway, if it brings a better visibility to games like BaK and RtK, it may not be a bad thing.

Mattresses

Scholar
Ogg said:
That was to be expected. We'll get used to it. :fatalist:

Anyway, if it brings a better visibility to games like BaK and RtK, it may not be a bad thing.

$6 game = more popularity than free game.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Droog White Smile said:
Jesus fucking Christ, this is just not funny anymore.

Yes, damn these people for potentially strengthening the PC platform forever by proving to publishers that unlike consoles the theoretical lifespan of a PC product is infinite. Damn them for using the only real strength the PC still has over consoles. DAMN YOU, MONEY-GRUBBING BASTARDS! FREE STUFF IS WHAT MATTERS!

phanboy_iv

Liturgist
Rohit_N said:

It was temporary. Sierra offered it as a free download in '97 to promote Antara. They revoked the offer after a short time and it's been non-freeware since.

But these are just facts. Don't let me stop the wild conspiracies and baseless bitching.

Silellak

Cipher
phanboy_iv said:
Rohit_N said:

It was temporary. Sierra offered it as a free download in '97 to promote Antara. They revoked the offer after a short time and it's been non-freeware since.

But these are just facts. Don't let me stop the wild conspiracies and baseless bitching.
It's not a GOG thread without wild conspiracies and baseless bitching.

Brother None said:
Droog White Smile said:

Yes, damn these people for potentially strengthening the PC platform forever by proving to publishers that unlike consoles the theoretical lifespan of a PC product is infinite. Damn them for using the only real strength the PC still has over consoles. DAMN YOU, MONEY-GRUBBING BASTARDS! FREE STUFF IS WHAT MATTERS!

Am I the only one who thinks publishers don't give two shits over the 100 or so guys buying abandonware?

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Clockwork Knight said:
Am I the only one who thinks publishers don't give two shits over the 100 or so guys buying abandonware?

You're underestimating GOG. But you're also right, GOG isn't major. But the extended lifetime provided to PC games thanks to digital download is getting increased attention from publishers. It's interesting because lifetime sales were always considered pretty irrelevant in this industry.

Bloodlines in particular has been changing a few minds. We're not really there yet though, but a serious revitalizing of long sellers like Troika produced could well happen with enough pull.

Oh, sorry. I mean. HOW DARE THEY CHARGE MONEY FOR GAMES?! I WANT STUFF FOR FREE GRAAAAAAAAARGH fuck it I DESERVE STUFF FOR FREE!!!!

phanboy_iv

Liturgist
Clockwork Knight said:
Brother None said:
Droog White Smile said:

It would take more than that to keep GOG going as long as it has.

And the fact that more and more big publishers keep signing with GOG seems to indicate that they are starting to pay attention.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Paying for games is stupid. Everyone knows developers don't get paid a percentage from sales, but instead by magic publisher money that publishers just have for some reason no one can explain, and publishers just pocket actual sales money without ever giving anything to developers ever!

Zeus

Cipher
Brother None said:
Oh, sorry. I mean. HOW DARE THEY CHARGE MONEY FOR GAMES?! I WANT STUFF FOR FREE GRAAAAAAAAARGH fuck it I DESERVE STUFF FOR FREE!!!!

It bears repeating:

If you're going to complain every time abandonware is adopted, you're not allowed to call it abandonware anymore. Drop the euphemisms, man up and say what's on your mind: I'm angry they took down my warez!

The whole idea of abandonware is that companies are no longer selling awesome games. HotU always took down games as soon as they were being sold (not counting eBay or secondhand markets, obviously). If Chips & Bits or whatever got a new shipment, HotU changed the download to a buy link. That's just the way it's always been.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Zeus said:
HotU always took down games as soon as they were being sold (not counting eBay or secondhand markets, obviously). If Chips & Bits or whatever got a new shipment, HotU changed the download to a buy link. That's just the way it's always been.
No they didn't. HotU took down games when they were being sold OR when the IDSA (later ESA?) got involved even though none of those games were being sold. They were always very compliant with publisher wishes, same as Abandonia.

Zeus

Cipher
Sceptic said:
Zeus said:
HotU always took down games as soon as they were being sold (not counting eBay or secondhand markets, obviously). If Chips & Bits or whatever got a new shipment, HotU changed the download to a buy link. That's just the way it's always been.
No they didn't. HotU took down games when they were being sold OR when the IDSA (later ESA?) got involved even though none of those games were being sold. They were always very compliant with publisher wishes, same as Abandonia.

No disagreement here, dude. HotU always complied with takedown notices.

My point was, HotU removed games once they found out they were being sold, even without being ordered to by some scary anti-piracy agency. I doubt GOG even contacted Abandonia, the admins probably removed BaK on their own accord.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Lies! Good Old Games is an evil conglomerate out to steal our money by selling us things that by all rights we should get for free! Deserve to get for free! Paying is bullshit! What they're doing is like bottling air and selling it! EXACTLY LIKE THAT!

mondblut

Arcane
Brother None said:

Brother None said:

Brother None said:
Paying for games is stupid. Everyone knows developers don't get paid a percentage from sales, but instead by magic publisher money that publishers just have for some reason no one can explain, and publishers just pocket actual sales money without ever giving anything to developers ever!

Brother None said:
Lies! Good Old Games is an evil conglomerate out to steal our money by selling us things that by all rights we should get for free! Deserve to get for free! Paying is bullshit! What they're doing is like bottling air and selling it! EXACTLY LIKE THAT!

You seem to have forgotten about your medication today, reverend Brother.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom