Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Different types of "immersion"

The Wizard

Educated
Droog White Smile said:
- Oblivion, OTOH, has probably the best first-person real-time melee combat that I've ever seen. It has combos, power attacks, manual blocking, etc.
never played dark messiah of might and magic, i see.
but yeah, the combat system is solid. if you mod the shit out of the npcs and monsters, that is. and even than i have only one word for you: stagger. enjoy your 5000hp ogres that kill you in 5 hits.

- Dialogs no longer look like wikipedia articles. Self-explanatory.
trying too hard. :|

- The rumor system. It tracks a LOT of stuff, and is pretty impressive at times. I've found many quests by overhearing what NPCs are talking about or asking an NPC for rumors.
that would indeed be great. why would, you ask? because most of the time this shit doesn't work. sometimes my questcompass journal gets updated with stuff even if i can't hear shit what the npcs are saying. other times it doesn'T when i'm standing right next to them. but it's a neat idea, so okay.

- Several improvements with spell casting (e.g. you can now cast spells while holding a weapon).
not a big deal. but i guess pressing r and then the mousebutton can be stressing to people who have like... a bone or muscle disease or something.

- The graphical improvements should be obvious. The most important are facegen, grass, trees, normal mapping and HDR.
normal maps look like shit, faces look like shit, trees and grass look like radioactive waste(thanks, HDRR).
- Physics. Physics based traps are p. cool.
too bad they are easily avoidable and repeat constantly.
Well, that's all I can think of now off the top of my head.
bag of dicks, gogogo.

Droog White Smile said:
- The most obvious improvement is, of course, the combat.
And the price for that "improvement" is a broken system with so many exploits you can never count them all. Oh wait, that didn't matter in a game that had strict level-scaling of enemies (i.e. the whole game was one big combat arena with optional but very tempting exploit orgies of various kinds to fill the needs of every exotic taste).

In Oblivion, if the enemy is slower than you or just the type whose blows you can dodge (and there are many such enemies, unless you're a fat war-hammer wielding knight in full iron plate-mail), you can dance in and out of its reach like a gay butterfly, giving hits but never receiving any.

In Morrowind, no matter how slow the enemy, if you get close enough to hit it with a melee weapon, it's going to hit you as well. Now, that's unrealistic when you have a spear guy fighting a sword guy (the latter would never get close enough to hit the former) ... but it works. You can't dance from place to place killing monsters twenty levels above your own without getting hit.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
S.T.A.L.K.E.R., while not being an RPG, excels in the immersion department.

Playing it on a nice rig so you get good smooth gameplay, with the difficulty cranked up, is heavan IMO. Running through the swamps at night, with the rain beating down, the incredible lightning in the game flashing across the sky, the dogs barking out in the distance, low on ammo, needing to get back to sell the latest artifact you almost died going after... Fun, fun stuff.

Criticize these games duly, but for sheer "losing yourself in the game" I think they are top notch.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Droog White Smile said:
Mattresses said:
I can literally not think of a single thing oblivion does better than morrowind.
OK, I've thought about this too, so here's my take on it.

- The most obvious improvement is, of course, the combat. Morrowind's combat was completely ridiculous, it's like somebody took it straight from a classic turn-based RPG and forgot to adapt it to real-time. Two characters stand in front of each other poking swords at each other. *whoosh* *whoosh* *thump* *whoosh* *whoosh*. Oblivion, OTOH, has probably the best first-person real-time melee combat that I've ever seen. It has combos, power attacks, manual blocking, etc.

- The rumor system. It tracks a LOT of stuff, and is pretty impressive at times. I've found many quests by overhearing what NPCs are talking about or asking an NPC for rumors.

- Several improvements with spell casting (e.g. you can now cast spells while holding a weapon).

- Radiant AI. Yes. It's much more immersive when NPCs lead their own lives. NPCs go to sleep at night, go to taverns, pray at chapels, work in the field, go hunting, travel from one city to another, etc.

- The graphical improvements should be obvious. The most important are facegen, grass, trees, normal mapping and HDR.

Well, that's all I can think of now off the top of my head.
Improvements to physical immersion.

Nomask said:
And the price for that "improvement" is a broken system with so many exploits you can never count them all. Oh wait, that didn't matter in a game that had strict level-scaling of enemies (i.e. the whole game was one big combat arena with optional but very tempting exploit orgies of various kinds to fill the needs of every exotic taste).
Dumbing down of intellectual immersion.

The Wizard said:
trying too hard. :|

Reminds me of when you ask a Morrowind Savant about his job, he gives you a comically long explanation (maybe on purpose, given the nature of his job).

enjoy your 5000hp ogres that kill you in 5 hits.

Shouldn't it be like that?

not a big deal. but i guess pressing r and then the mousebutton can be stressing to people who have like... a bone or muscle disease or something.

That was a welcome addition. Having to enter casting mode wasn't hard or anything, just an inconvenience for a character that uses both spells and melee constantly (spellswords, for example)

The Wizard

Educated
Clockwork Knight said:

not if you're level forty and equipped with daedric armor. no, no it shouldn't be like that. especially when even the (lorewise) strongest npcs are nothing compared to random ogre#60231432.

edit: hell, mehrunes dagon would be easier to kill than the ogres if he didn't have an "immortal" tag.

Luzur

Good Sir
The Wizard said:
Clockwork Knight said:

not if you're level forty and equipped with daedric armor. no, no it shouldn't be like that. especially when even the (lorewise) strongest npcs are nothing compared to random ogre#60231432..

like the King of Worms.

The Wizard said:
Clockwork Knight said:

not if you're level forty and equipped with daedric armor. no, no it shouldn't be like that. especially when even the (lorewise) strongest npcs are nothing compared to random ogre#60231432.

edit: hell, mehrunes dagon would be easier to kill than the ogres if he didn't have an "immortal" tag.

Ah yes, forgot about that. I was thinking only of a level 1 adventurer / normal person for some reason

poocolator

Erudite
The Order of Discalced Codexian Convulsionists
My favourite sort of immersion:
toilet-face.jpg

FO3 immersion.

MikeJahn

Educated
Oblivion was only entertaining before I realized there was very little to actually do in it (before that point I was just looking at the graphics). As for Oblivion having good combat: Dark Messiah is by far more stream lined and varied with far better physics implementation. Actually now that I think about it , Oblivion is pretty awful especially in later levels where the super goblins pop up and all you do is jump around them slashing them quickly. Oblivion also had awful animations (and so does Fallout 3) that even more so diminishes any meaning combat might have. Also : float walking, that's just shit. Bethesda can't animate.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS ARE YOU ALL RETTEARTED IMMERSION IS BAD IMMERSION IS WORSE THAN POPAMOLE IT MAKES YOUR GAME A DARK GRIUTTY PEACE OF SHIT YOU WANT ZERO IMMERSION AND HORRIBLE GRAPHICS BUT NOT BAD 3D GRAPHICS JUST BAD 2D GRAPHICS BECAUSE BAD 3D GRAPHICS ARE BAED

Destroid

Arcane
Dwarf Fortress was the most immersive game I have played recently. I didn't even use the tilesets.

Graphics contribute little to an immersive experience.

DraQ

Arcane
Kraszu said:
Why suspend you disbelief all? Just play a video game to play a freaking video game, not to pretend that it is something else.

"a freaking videogame" not pretending to be anything else wouldn't feature 3D models or sprites pretending to be people, effects pretending to be fire or shaders aping water surface. They wouldn't have massive fictional backdrop stories for their settings or dialogues and descriptions meaning to set up certain characters as real people and evoke certain emotions in player.
Given that most games tend to have some of such features, I'm inclined to believe they are meant to be played with suspension of disbelief, which in turn makes me inclined to believe that you're a moron.

Of course, there are abstract games, like Go, that don't have the aforementioned trappings, don't aspire to immersiveness and playing them immersively would indeed indicate that player's brain is behaving in a somewhat loopy manner and he might, in fact, benefit from professional attention before he descends into stark raving madness and starts writing roleplaying articles on UESPWiki, at which point punching his clock would be a merciful deed.

Which leads us smoothly to
gothemasticator said:
The most immersive game I ever play is chess. I suppose this maps onto your "intellectual immersion" type, but whatever. The thing is, chess is totally engrossing. My ass can fall asleep and I don't notice because I'm busy, so busy as to forget everything else. That's what I call immersion.
No no no.
That isn't what you call, or at least should call immersion.
While without doubt engaging, engrossing and intellectually stimulating, chess lacks the necessary qualities to really put you 'in' the gameworld, as sad gameworld has much less things in common with the reality as we know it than even the most alien and bizarre setting to be ever devised by a fiction writer. There is simply nothing to hook the immersion on in chess, so while engaging it can't be really seen as an immersive game.

Droog White Smile said:
Mattresses said:
I can literally not think of a single thing oblivion does better than morrowind.
OK, I've thought about this too, so here's my take on it.

- The most obvious improvement is, of course, the combat. Morrowind's combat was completely ridiculous, it's like somebody took it straight from a classic turn-based RPG and forgot to adapt it to real-time. Two characters stand in front of each other poking swords at each other. *whoosh* *whoosh* *thump* *whoosh* *whoosh*. Oblivion, OTOH, has probably the best first-person real-time melee combat that I've ever seen. It has combos, power attacks, manual blocking, etc.
Droog, if there were ever any doubts regarding you being an idiot, or a troll, this should dispel it.

I am aware that feeble minded creatures like typical console kids could be lured into thinking that combat was good in Oblivion, but any relatively sapient being (this usually includes apes, corvids, dolphins and elephants as well as humans) should really know better.

Not only is Oblivion's combat bad, it's bad compared to Morrowind's one, which in itself should be alarming enough, as referring to Morrowind's combat as a clunky clusterfuck of a Frankensteinian hybrid consisting of a typical RPGish mechanics grafted on top of an FPS engine would not only be faithful to reality but somewhat charitable as well.

But, to the point.

Where Morrowind simply sticks a not particularly interactive RPG combat mechanics on an FPS engine, with little effort to hide the stitches, Oblivion opts to take some horrible hybrid, that combines all the undesirable traits of RPG and action combat, with none of their plusses.

First thing first, Morrowind didn't support locational damage or any way to aim for particular body parts, nevertheless it did randomize the hit locations and use the AR of that particular body part for damage reduction. In Oblivion, despite what it's more actiony nature would imply, the locational hits are completely nonexistant - not only it makes absolutely no difference whether you hit your opponent in the face, chest, left middle finger or right ball, but the AR of individual armour pieces simply adds up and is distributed evenly across the whole body, which means that character's boots protect their head as much as feet, while their helm takes equal part in preventing their family jewels for getting bruised, as it does in protecting their noggin.

Second, when it comes to AR and damage reduction, Oblivion used idiotically simple formula - character's summed up AR was simply percentage of damage absorbed and it capped at 85. Obviously, such a system was rather inflexible, making skill boosts or shield spells effectively pointless in the long run, as well as not differentiating between multiple weak hits and a single strong one. Morrowind's system, on the other hand, while not exactly something we could have seen in Fallout, was using a nonlinear formula:
Code:
 (Damage * Damage) / (Damage + Opponent Armor Rating)
which allowed for unlimited AR scale and made single powerful hits pass through the armour much more easily than repeated weak ones.

Third, while missing in Morrowind was annoying, the only thing this game actually missed there was appropriate dodge/miss/lack of penetration animations. Can't say the same about Oblivion and it's deterministic system that, in conjunction with embarrassingly retarded combat AI, made combat extremely repetitive by taking out the random element. To add insult to injury, to artificially prolong the combat in "always hit" system the characters could take numerous hits to the unarmoured vital parts and keep going. This was especially visible with bows and low skill, where an enemy NPC with multiple arrows piercing (with unerring precision) their chest could retain almost all their health and vigour to keep fighting, though slamming someone's bare head with a huge warhammer was also a highlight.

Fourth, the different attacks were unlockable perks in Oblivion, which meant no stabbing with daggers unless you maxed out the blades skill.
The status effects of power attacks were completely arbitrary and in no way related to the attacks themselves, while both the effects and animations were shared between ddifferent classes of weapons, so mastery perk with maces was the same thrusting attack as with daggers, with exact same status effect. Thrilling. At least Morrowind allowed me to figure out how to stab people with a dagger before becoming the ultimate master of all swordsmanship. It also made thrusting attacks with maces as ineffective as one would expect, so points to Morrowind again.

Fifth, the variety of weapons. Morrowind had more skills, more weapon types, polearms, staves, crossbows, throwing knives, while Oblivion had daggers grouped with claymores. Morrowind also didn't limit enchants according to weapon types, so you could very well have a CE or cast-when-used sword. No contest here.

Sixth, blocking. Manual blocking might come off as an improvement, but I wouldn't consider it that if the price was removing the skill aspect from it's success. Nevertheless, this is debatable. Damage inexplicably leaking through the shield, however, is not. It makes no sense and is therefore shit.

Seventh, ranged combat, allegedly improved so hard they had to take out crossbows and thrown weapons just sucks. Even not accounting for people and creatures flung around with ridiculous ragdoll physics (which also happens in melee), it basically shoehorned player into "backpedal and keep shooting" tactics. In Morrowind arrows and bolts fucking killed things. Also, notice "and bolts" part. Again, no point arguing here.

Eight, Morrowind had a lot of random, yet stat, weapon power and weapon weight dependant staggering and knock downs. Those spiced up the combat a great deal and usually decided the outcome of a battle. Coincidentally they were also completely nerfed in Oblivion.

As for the combos, I have no idea where you have seen them - did your parents played with you by throwing you up but kept forgetting to catch you on your way down when you were a baby?

They look as if written by Andhaira instead. Probably voiced too. Self-explanatory.

I prefer occasionally yawn-inducing infodumps to one-liners full of cringe-inducing inanity coupled with hilariously bad delivery.

The fact that you could actually ask about most of stuff (like where the hell can I find %NPCName) in Morrowind, instead of following the pizza slice doesn't help Oblivion either.

Neither does the massive decrease in the volume of dialogues nor decline in quality and quantity of voiced greetings.

Ventriloquist beggars are just the icing on the cake.

The rumor system. It tracks a LOT of stuff, and is pretty impressive at times. I've found many quests by overhearing what NPCs are talking about or asking an NPC for rumors.
The rumor system is exactly the same as in Morrowind (or Daggerfall for that matter). Oh, wait, there is a difference - in neither of the past games it does change beggars' voices for no reason, so sorry. You're just being dumb again.

Several improvements with spell casting (e.g. you can now cast spells while holding a weapon)
It might have been an improvement if it depended on the weapon held - for example either one handed weapon or a shield would reduce the effectiveness of casting, but could be used normally while casting, two handed weapon would have to be held with one hand for the period of casting, and thus be useless for attacking and blocking, while "sword and board" would preclude all casting whatsoever. Speaking of efficiency, there is no such thing as casting chance, which effectively reduces magic skill development to five distinct tiers where the first tier spells are perfectly castable by even the dumbest of barbarians. There is also plenty of evidence of excessive rape of magic system, especially evident in the number of effects and removal of the potentially most interesting ones, nerfing of the summons, and making the effects simultaneous, rather than sequential which removed most of the fun from creative spellmaking.
So, again, sorry, you're dumb, spellcasting and magic in general sucked in OB.

- Radiant AI. Yes. It's much more immersive when NPCs lead their own lives. NPCs go to sleep at night, go to taverns, pray at chapels, work in the field, go hunting, travel from one city to another, etc.
Ok, character schedules did improve the believeability slightly. Very slightly compared with the hit it took from the incredibly retarded and gamey NPC dialogues "it wud b awesum if every1 no secruity becuz we wudnt ned to cary teh keys all de taim hepr derp!1", as well as the retarded NPC behaviour:
-imperial foresters shooting each others because they were programmed to collect venison, and after killing a deer and collecting the meat one of them had venison the other seeked
-thieves trying novel in-your-face pickpocket tactics, then getting slaughtered after trying to punch well armed guards
-bandits not getting alarmed by dead bodies of their comrades and attributing arrows in their own butts to the wind
-guards running up to a body of someone they had recently slain then checking the pulsde and exclaiming that there must be a killeron the loose
-etc.

Having non-immersive NPCs is vastly preferable to having them actively wreck the immersion on every step.

Sorry, I prefer characters' faces in a dark room, illuminated by a single candle to not resemble nuclear fireballs. Similarily I prefer character faces in general having some actual cultural and racial characteristics rather than being misshapen, vaguely humanoid potatoes differing mostly in colour and somewhat in their degree of monstrousness. Lastly, here, where I live some rocks aren't being waxed and polished on daily basis.

If they are of some consequence (other than losing several HPs and having to take a longer route), aren't blatantly conspicuous, offer some diversity and actually use the physical engine in a way that couldn't be trivialy replicated with simple scripted events. If none of those are true, then the Morrowind has the slight advantage of having the security skill that wasn't useless and traps that did stuff.

Finally I suggest you take your "nostalgia goggles" and stick them up your ass, where your head currently resides.

I don't think nostalgia has ever affected my judgement regarding a computer game. I jumped into Morrowind for the first time not so long after it's release and it was awesome. I tried Baldur's Gate back when it was new and found it uninspired. I played PS:T when it was already a respected classic and an old game and it was awesome. Oblivion, while still new, turned out to be atrocious, yet both Daggerfall and Frontier: Elite 2 gave me a sound nerdgasm when I first played them after playing Oblivion. Nevertheless, I don't think I'm suffering some very codexian phobia of everything that's new, as I thoroughly enjoyed Witcher when it was new.

In other words - your theory predictably falls apart.

DraQ said:
imperial foresters shooting each others because they were programmed to collect venison, and after killing a deer and collecting the meat one of them had venison the other seeked

I thought that ocurred when a melee guard and an archer guard attack the same animal and the archer ends up hitting the melee one in the back.

-guards running up to a body of someone they had recently slain then checking the pulsde and exclaiming that there must be a killeron the loose

Nothing unrealistic about that :smug:

--

Now I want to find a dodge animation mod for morrowind, and a locational hits mod for Oblivion.

gothemasticator

Scholar
DraQ said:
Kraszu said:
Why suspend you disbelief all?

Given that most games tend to have some of such features, I'm inclined to believe they are meant to be played with suspension of disbelief
gothemasticator said:
The most immersive game I ever play is chess. I suppose this maps onto your "intellectual immersion" type, but whatever. The thing is, chess is totally engrossing. My ass can fall asleep and I don't notice because I'm busy, so busy as to forget everything else. That's what I call immersion.
No no no.
That isn't what you call, or at least should call immersion.
Crux of the matter: the word immersion is a buzzword which has come to mean suspension of disbelief, which is not its only legitimate use.

You observe that the gameworld of chess is entirely abstract, which makes it more alien than any physical-simulation gameworld. True, but the mind has no problem entering the abstract world to such a degree that it makes sense to say it has become immersed in it.

Suspension of disbelief is a more accurate, though less used, term for the kind of immersion that Oblivion players go on about. I'll point out that the change in nomenclature is useful when you want to pin the responsibility for such a state on the product instead of the player. I'll elaborate:

Movie technology has come a long way since the 1932 (?) Frankenstein. However, how could anyone claim that viewers who couldn't sleep that night were not immersed in the movie? Modern viewers who sit back and mock the primitive level of effects are simply showing that they are unwilling to suspend their disbelief.

Likewise, when players complain that onscreen messages destroy their immersion, I would say that they are only demanding a higher and higher technical standard, which they believe will ultimately overpower them and take away by force their own capacity for disbelief. I suggest that this dream of total immersion is a pipe dream. Even if you imagine a day when Star Trek's holodeck is a reality, you still know you can shut it off at any moment.

Conversely, when I played Shadowman the first time, the atmosphere, the wonderful voice acting, the involving search and hunt for the source of the the threat to the dayside... Because I was willing to suspend my disbelief, and because the game design was consistent and atmospherically presented, and sensible within its limits, I was immersed - in spite of the low poly count and puppetlike animations.

Hey, DraQ, weren't you one of those faggots that "hated" Oblvion, but played it to death, nonetheless?

Me? I'm just honest about my gaming tastes. Oblivion is a very fun action/RPG/whatever game, there's nothing more to it. There are no "intelligent" or "stupid" games FFS. You are a pretentious teenager if you think that being a Morrowind fanboy makes you look smarter or smth, grow the fuck up and drop this bullshit.

And BTW, I played Morrowind for almost a year straight after its release, so I'm pretty sure I won't ever touch it again, because I have all the damn towns and dungeons permanently burned into my brain. Old games, eventually, get old.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Suspension of disbelief is:
She riped of his internal organ with her hand.
Yes it's a fairy.

(There was a reasonable explanation why she was able AND willing to rip his internal organ.)

Immersion:

How long have your spend on that?

I was immersed...

Immersed in book, immersed in movie, immersed in sex... Yes these are different types of immersion.

Kraszu

Prophet
DraQ said:
They wouldn't have massive fictional backdrop stories for their settings or dialogues and descriptions meaning to set up certain characters as real people and evoke certain emotions in player.

I would say that to me it just make the game world more interesting. I don't have to feel personally involved to find history or psychology more interesting then pile of rocks.

DraQ said:
"a freaking videogame" not pretending to be anything else wouldn't feature 3D models or sprites pretending to be people, effects pretending to be fire or shaders aping water surface.

Preferring better looking games does not imply that I need it for suspension of disbelief. I like my chess to look better as well. It is also convenient as some of what I know about fire or water from real world can be relevant in game world.

I don't feel negatively affected by the fact that NPC don't use toilet, or that King is sitting on his butt for the whole day. I don't really care about details like that. (except when it is used to make village look more interesting, it would look rather bland if all NPC would just stand on they spot)

DraQ

Arcane
Droog White Smile said:
Hey, DraQ, weren't you one of those faggots that "hated" Oblvion, but played it to death, nonetheless?
No, I'm one of those non-faggots that couldn't bring themselves to complete the MQ despite being somewhat OCD when it comes to completing the games, to the point of having completed Unreal 2 (which was shit).

I did finish heavily modded SI, though, which I found sufficiently entertaining after making the mechanics somewhat workable.

Also, how quaint, an ad personam.

Me? I'm just honest about my gaming tastes.
And I'm just honest about your gaming tastes being shit.

Oblivion is a very fun action/RPG/whatever game, there's nothing more to it. There are no "intelligent" or "stupid" games FFS. You are a pretentious teenager if you think that being a Morrowind fanboy makes you look smarter or smth, grow the fuck up and drop this bullshit.

There are "intelligent" and "stupid" games, but that's not the point - a game may very well be "stupid", but still very good - see Diablo, Doom or Tyrian.

The problem isn't "stupid" games, the problem is stupid gamers, and I don't think it would be much of a stretch to class gamers that can be brainwashed to consider a game with technically advanced but uninspired and aesthetically awful visuals pretty, or a game with extremely bland gameplay and no redeeming qualities story- or setting-wise fun - stupid.

Old games, eventually, get old.
New games get old as well.

However, good games stay good and shit games stay shit.

Destroid

Arcane
DraQ said:
a game may very well be "stupid", but still very good - see Diablo, Doom or Tyrian.

I'll give you Diablo, but the other games are action games, which test your reflexes and speed not your intellect. It is entirely different kind of challenge.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom