Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New great rpg!

theverybigslayer

Liturgist
466810_full.jpg

Look at her HP! It's 61235! You can't store so big number on a PC.

Stabwound

Arcane
:lol:

That is hilariously accurate.

I wouldn't really say the Disgaea games are even RPGs, though. They truly are one massive grind for bigger numbers from beginning to end with absolutely no purpose. I remember the level-gaining strategy from the original Disgaea was to enter a particular battle that had enemies strategically laid out on a grid that gave you 3x experience per kill (or something like that) in the exact shape of a particular AOE attack, and players would spend hundreds if not thousands of hours entering this battle screen, using the AOE attack to kill them all in one hit which would end the battle so they could go back into it and do it again. The game designers specifically made this battle for this purpose. Absolutely fucking ridiculous.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
meh, trinity universe (this isn't disgaea, you uncultured twats).
i hate all those shitty quality let's mix all our characters together crossover games.

The game designers specifically made this battle for this purpose. Absolutely fucking ridiculous.

But was it needed, or just there for anyone with enough free time to get to the max level? I played some of the first game and didn't need to do this sort of thing. The game lets you grind, but I didn't feel like it was a necessity.

Stabwound

Arcane
You can finish the main plotline of Disgaea without grinding, but they added optional bosses and shit that make you need to grind for hundreds of hours to be able to kill. The massively grindy parts are what the hardcore Disgaea fans love. You can finish the main plot in, say, 25 hours, and then spend 800 hours grinding to kill the big super boss.

I guess this is all irrelevant though if the game in the original post isn't even a Disgaea game.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
you can grind if you want, but disgaea games and to a lesser degree the rest of makai kingdom have quite many puzzle elements you could easily exploit to reduce the grind to next to nothing (at least as long as you just wanted to beat the optional bosses, not unlocking every fucking class and leveling every single skill).

Black_Willow

Arcane
Stabwound said:
You can finish the main plotline of Disgaea without grinding, but they added optional bosses and shit that make you need to grind for hundreds of hours to be able to kill. The massively grindy parts are what the hardcore Disgaea fans love. You can finish the main plot in, say, 25 hours, and then spend 800 hours grinding to kill the big super boss.

I guess this is all irrelevant though if the game in the original post isn't even a Disgaea game.
I remember one of such bosses, it was called "Beast of a thousand eyes".
What was the name of this crappy jRPG it was in...

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
SuicideBunny said:
you can grind if you want, but disgaea games and to a lesser degree the rest of makai kingdom have quite many puzzle elements you could easily exploit to reduce the grind to next to nothing (at least as long as you just wanted to beat the optional bosses, not unlocking every fucking class and leveling every single skill).

Yeah, I think most people that play disgaea etc. don't do the massive grind fests, but rather set up the convoluted puzzle elements that let you rape godzilla at level one.

The fact that there's 9999 levels is really a tiny bit of it- more interesting is that there are dozens of classes/monsters, each with half a dozen tiers. You could field nothing but zombies or succubi if you were so inclined.

I usually level one character and ignore almost everyone else except to manipulate the battlefield puzzle elements or set up a combo to multiply the damage on my leader. Then if I feel like checking out a new class I unlocked I drag some level one peon into battle against something level 800 and have it shoot up to level 200 instantly. (The main would be about 400 at this point, you'd have to have downs to level to the same point as the enemies, it's completely uneccesary.)

Example of a powerful extra boss in makai kingdom: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNbkYukC ... L&index=52

Level 4000 boss enemy killed with level ~500 characters with relatively weak equipment and some good planning.

Tramboi

Prophet
Patron
Black_Willow said:
I remember one of such bosses, it was called "Beast of a thousand eyes".
What was the name of this crappy jRPG it was in...

This was a nasty jab :)
And totally accurate too.

Meh, I guess I am a whiny LARPer.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
In Disgaea, there is a dark assembly. It's easy to force dark assembly to raise level of monsters, and level up faster, if you survive. When they disagree with your proposal, you can beat them up and do it anyway. In fact you can beat them up even when they agree to your proposal. How many games allows the main character to beat up a parliament doesn't matter if parliament agreed with him or not?

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
They also self parody the genre the way earthbound did. Some of the item descriptions are are awesome. The absurd parts are where it shines; the puzzles, description texts, attack methods, side dialogues.

theverybigslayer

Liturgist
Ch1ef said:
Where can i buy this beautiful gaem? :?:
Trinity Universe hits North American and European PlayStation 3s in June.

It has a great story too:
For generations, Kanata's ancestors have protected the Netheruniverse by transmogrifying into a Demon God Gem. However, Demon God King Kanata refused to become the gem and instead became a Demon Dog King. Since then, he has enjoyed a carefree life in hiding, but he eventually began thinking about the toll of his decision. Accepting the title of Demon God King and becoming the gemstone will stop space debris from crashing into his world. If he could get to the source of the space debris and solve the problem, everybody will be happy. Determined, Kanata goes on a journey to save his world.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
For generations, Kanata's ancestors have protected the Netheruniverse by transmogrifying into a Demon God Gem. However, Demon God King Kanata refused to become the gem and instead became a Demon Dog King. Since then, he has enjoyed a carefree life in hiding, but he eventually began thinking about the toll of his decision. Accepting the title of Demon God King and becoming the gemstone will stop space debris from crashing into his world. If he could get to the source of the space debris and solve the problem, everybody will be happy. Determined, Kanata goes on a journey to save his world.

retarded.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom