Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Obsidian 3rd project is totally unreal!

Country_Gravy

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2
Exitium said:
but I'd like to think that the Codex gives Obsidian the benefit of the doubt.

NO FREE RIDES, OBSIDIAN!!! NO FREE RIDES!!!!!!!11

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I believe the OTHER (2nd) game Obsidian is working on is a collaboration with BIO?

Can you comment on that squish? :P

DemonKing

Arcane
Jaesun said:
I believe the OTHER (2nd) game Obsidian is working on is a collaboration with BIO?

Can you comment on that squish? :P

Umm - apart from the unnanounced game they are only working on NWN2 at the moment, which is definitely in collaboration with Bio.

squish

Novice
Vault Dweller said:
Exitium said:
Likewise there's no reason to assume that the game Obsidian is making has any connection with the UE3 game that BioWare is developing.
Well, considering that the first 2 projects are sequels to Bio games, there was a good reason to assume that the projects are related. Also, there is nothing negative about that. Considering that there is a good relationship between the companies, it would make sense for them to share experience and techniques.

Do not be so daft, VD. He means what he said, that the games they are developing have absolutely nothing to do with Bioware whatsoever. I'm sure that covers the "RPG layer" question.
Don't be so daft yourself. Tools are tools, game concepts are game concepts. Two different things. Besides, the original squish's statement replied to the possibility of Obsidian working with Bio, or handling another Bio project. The follow up question about tools was something else, so squish didn't have to be such a dick about it, not after working with Bio tech for years.

Sorry VD, I wasn't trying to be a dick about anything. You know how these things go - we won't talk about stuff before it's officially announced, so you weren't going to get any more information about the game. And like Exitium said, my original reply was simply to stop any rumors that this game is connected to Bioware in any way, including technology - I thought that would have been pretty clear to everyone when I said "no connection to Bioware whatsoever". Not a lot of room for interpretation there.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Kick his ass, squish! You can do it!

Actually, I haven't read any of the thread, but I figured I should post something here anyway.

taks

Liturgist
squish said:
I thought that would have been pretty clear to everyone when I said "no connection to Bioware whatsoever". Not a lot of room for interpretation there.
it was clear.
taks

Slaytanic

Educated
I will be a very happy person if it won't turn out to be an action rpg, and IMO action rpgs are beneath Obsidian considering the staff they got.
But if they want to work with a 3d shooter engine ( malleable or not ) they'll want to focus alot on combat and shiny graphics.
Troika did that with Bloodlines , the litlle beast that could, and they almost had it. But I have some boring memories about long lasting 3d shooter like episodes.
I just hope they make an rpg, I don't care that much about teh shiny graphics.

Btw, don't know why but none of my top 5 games of all time are 3d.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
I don't think they're aiming for a first person experience. Most of the games being developed under UE3 aren't.

Feargus Urquhart

Obsidian Entertainment
Developer
And just to clarify the comment about NWN2 being a collaboration with Bioware. We got the engine from them and some updates about a year ago and that is pretty much the extent of their current involvement in NWN2. If we needed help, I know they would be more than willing to pitch in, but it hasn't been necessary.

Hory

Erudite
If we needed help, I know they would be more than willing to pitch in, but it hasn't been necessary.
How about the time when you didn't finish KOTOR 2 properly?
Edit: Not that I'm not thankful for all the other content in the game.

DemonKing

Arcane
Feargus Urquhart said:
And just to clarify the comment about NWN2 being a collaboration with Bioware. We got the engine from them and some updates about a year ago and that is pretty much the extent of their current involvement in NWN2.

Although Bio is hosting the NWN2 message boards...which would seem to indicate a continuing involvement in the project.

In any case, perhaps I should have used the term "involved with" rather than "collaboration"...might have been more accurate.

I'm certainly glad to hear that your 3rd project will be a new and original title (even if it is a D&D game).

Killzig

Cipher
Patron
Does Obsidian even have the art talent to feed that beast of an engine? Oh well, willing to give Fearg the benefit of the doubt. COUGHLITHTECHCOUGH

DarkSign

Erudite
If you watch the Nvidia launch video where they first showed the Unreal 3 engine, the presenter mentioned some FPS project to show off the engine.

Im sure thats the subject of this thread.

Whats amazing to me is that the convergence of movies and games is going to have to come a LOT faster...the cost of taking an Unreal3 game to the edge with so close to life-like architecture and characters...is going to need more of a movie budget than a "games" budget.

Antagonist

Liturgist
I'm little bit surprised that nobody of you guys mentioned it or I just missed it due to my badly hurting tooth. Seems like Obsidian is aiming for the big money.

We are seeking a writer to create story, character backgrounds, and dialogue for a console role-playing game. Previous game development experience is preferred, but is not a necessity if you are an established author/writer.

Slaytanic

Educated
^ Bummer.
That sucks. I think most people here agree with me that most console games have driven people to suicide.

Killzig

Cipher
Patron
maybe they can make an ULTIMATE IRON MAN game and get OSC to write it. :buttrock: What the hell right? The Bioware style of RPG is pretty much a dressed up adventure game with your generic character. Might as well make a cool adventure game with a bitchin character.

Surlent

Liturgist
Console game huh ? :shock:
And I thought Fergie was gonna develop Fallout Online with Herve Cain next. :)
They are old "buddies" and all that close.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Feargus Urquhart said:
And just to clarify the comment about NWN2 being a collaboration with Bioware. We got the engine from them and some updates about a year ago and that is pretty much the extent of their current involvement in NWN2. If we needed help, I know they would be more than willing to pitch in, but it hasn't been necessary.

What you're saying is you don't need BioWare there for the assist before the SLAM DUNK, right?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom