Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Eschalon Book II Released for Windows

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
FeelTheRads said:
If you're being a thief just be one without making up all the fucking stupid "oooh but I'm poor" excuses. Bah.

If you're being a retard, just be in your own home don't pollute us with it.

It's a game. Not an essential commodity. Stop acting as if you're somehow entitled to it. If you feel like stealing it, so be it, just don't try to justify it with retarded excuses.

Sisay

Liturgist
Dark Individual said:
Is this game mostly about combat or is there some good quality conversations and story telling in it?

Played fairly far into the Dwarven area. It's still all about combat and exploration. Melee options are quite limited, though now you get one usable ability (e.g. cleave) on a timer. It's just really not enough to make melee interesting. I find the magic system fairly nice with non-combat utility spells etc. Exploration is quite fun and the areas seem fairly well designed. You still walk very slowly in case that was a deal-breaker for some.

The general quality of writing seems improved from what I remember of the first game but the story is very generic fantasy in the sequel as well. The quests are ok for what they are and there are some limited options on how you deal with them. I just wish there were more of them. You walk into this massive city, finish a couple of quests but there's only like two new ones? This is not exactly Tarant.

Overall, it's solid game and an improvement from the first one. It's not a big enough improvement to buy the game instead of Geneforge/Avernum n+1, however.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
While the presentation is top notch and the graphics and sound effects have been improved you still have the slow walking speed and the rather lame encounters. Sure, the dungeons are nice but crafting exciting and challenging encounters is something they still don't grasp that well. Still, it's an improvement so far on book 1. Just don't expect something very different.

MRSA

Scholar
Blackadder said:
As for the poor thirdworldia downloaders...no sympathy I'm afraid. I couldn't just buy any old game I wanted (or pirate it) back when I was younger, and had to work absolute crap paying jobs and save up for weeks, if not months, to get an RPG. Usually I bought a game that had already been out for 6 months if not a few years after release. Not to mention missing out on the other 5-10 games that came out at the same time due to having to choose which game to get.

Boo-hoo-hoo! :cry:

Let me go to the cellar and cry my eyes out...

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS IN MOST COUNTRIES MINORITIES DONT EVEN HAVE WELFARE HOW THE HELL DO YOU EXPECT THEM TO PAY FOR SHIT WE SHOULD BE THANKFUL THEY HAVE THE ENERGY TO STEAL IT

Melcar

Arcane
Right on bro. Over here in this part of Mexico shit be expensive yo'; just as expensive as back in L.A. People get paid in peanuts however. In order to get people to actually buy shit and not spend all their money on things they would actually need, like food, they set it up so you can buy pretty much anything in installments. That's how like 95% of the people buy stuff here. It's actually rather hilarious. I saw some xbox games the other day at about the same price you would get them in The States, which is like a year's salary for your average worker here.
Relating to the off topic though, there is actually very little piracy over here. I guess the fact that even high speed connections are in dial up speeds has something to do with it. At least everyone here uses 64bit WEP; one less expense to think about.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BRO I WOULD THINK PIRACY WOULD BE LOW IN MEXICO CAUSE BE LIVE IN DIRT SHACK WITHOUT COMPUTERS

AND IN AFRICA THEY ARE TOO BUSTY STARVING AND KILLING PEOPLE TO EVEN BOTHER

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
not really that much improvement over book 1 from what i can tell, and it fares really badly if you compare it to avernum 6.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Trash said:
FeelTheRads said:
If you're being a thief just be one without making up all the fucking stupid "oooh but I'm poor" excuses. Bah.

If you're being a retard, just be in your own home don't pollute us with it.

It's a game. Not an essential commodity. Stop acting as if you're somehow entitled to it. If you feel like stealing it, so be it, just don't try to justify it with retarded excuses.
I think it's more a hint to devs/publishers on how they can get money from him and other people like him rather than an excuse.

lehphyro

Novice
I think it's more a hint to devs/publishers on how they can get money from him and other people like him rather than an excuse.
Exactly. I have the money to pay for it. $25 may be very low for the US but it is pricey for other countries, this specific case translates to lost sales actually.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
lehphyro said:
Exactly. I have the money to pay for it. $25 may be very low for the US but it is pricey for other countries, this specific case translates to lost sales actually.
Well, there are two problems - knee-jerk reactions when people see games as the same as material goods and are offended by the idea of selling games at lower price somewhere and a possibility of someone "resourceful" re-selling the games in the west.

The first is completely irrational - as practically nothing is removed from inventory when the game is sold. When goods are in limited amount and when they require expensive raw materials, then keeping high prices helps to maximise the income.
In case of goods like computer games, the most important thing for maximisation of profits is the balance between the price and the amount of sales.
Theoretically, there are some people that would pay over 100$ for computer games, even for indie games and would moralize how everyone should pay that much, but prices are set much lower, because what would happen in reality would be losing most of customers and having a big part of the customers that stay buy less games, which would mean lesser profits and probably many games flopping. The same applies to the rest of the world.

Anyway, personally, I'd rather eat out in a local restaurant and buy myself a few CDs of good local Black Metal bands than pay the western price much for a "premium" cRPG and most of other new games (unless it would be Falloutlike GURPS or similar system based cRPG in which case I would probably dish out even 50-100$ for a collectors edition :P - but that's a very, very, very rare type of game - the only one that has chance to come close it is AoD.).
Vintage games are an exception from it - but it's mostly due to their limited availability and collectors value.

FeelTheRads

Arcane

Again, I wasn't talking about me. Not me in the present at least. I'm not in that situation anymore. Nor have I said one is entitled to pirate if they can't afford it like that shithead Trash thought.

I was arguing against the belief that everybody who has a computer can afford to buy games because LOL RIGHT????

But someone who pays $20 for a pizza obviously can't understand that someone who bought his first computer in installments over 3 years, a computer that sucked even at the time it was bought can't afford to also buy games. But hey, I shouldn't have bought that computer because then I pirated games so game developers went out of business because of me!

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
Melcar said:
Kosmonaut said:
Why are you in Mérida and not in L.A.?

Business and visiting the folks.

Episode-3-Cousins-Tio-760_jpg_595x325_crop_upscale_q85.jpg

Luzur

Good Sir
dont leave your grandpa waiting somewhere just to dominate some young lads or something.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom