Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Codex's favorite Doom .WADS?

Nostradumbass

Scholar
isn't doom the ultimate popamole shit? its as basic as it gets when it comes to the gameplay (thouh theres good design, but thats something else). not that i care because unlike every other hypocrite i dont mind popamole games.

Multi-headed Cow

It isn't popamole at all. Try to keep up with Codex doublethink please.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
isn't doom the ultimate popamole shit? its as basic as it gets when it comes to the gameplay

?????

I think you don't understand the meaning of popamole.

Doom is as classic FPS as it gets.

Popamole is the new shit where you glue yourself to a box and pretend to play a FPS.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Doom isn't popamole because it doesn't have a cover mechanic. Instead it has something even more revolutionary. It's called strafing behind a wall.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
codex

used as a substitute for penis, and different forms can be used as a substitute for "fuck", a pronoun, an adjective, or just about anything else fathomable. It is a very versatile word.

Rpg Penis hurr hurr.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Basically the .wads I've played are all listed on that big site "best wads per year" or whatever. Or it's Top 100 Wads of All Time. Something like that. I see most of your list is there.

I've played almost all of those cooperatively, they're fun.

Sodomy

Scholar
ElectricOtter said:
I am mildly interested in what sort of Doom shit you guys play, so post your favorite .wads here, I guess.

Eternity (Serenity 2)
Memento Mori
Memento Mori 2
Hell Revealed
Batman Doom
Tei Tenga
Alien Vendetta
Scythe
Doom 64: Absolution TC
Massmouth 2
Space Station Omega
You got most of the best ones, but add:
Asylum of the Wretched
Claustrophobia (the one by Virgil, not the other shitty one)
Scythe 2
Deus Vult 2
Requiem
Kama Sutra
Hell Revealed
Chord/ChordG/Chord3

Nostradumbass

Scholar
Hobo Elf said:
Doom isn't popamole because it doesn't have a cover mechanic. Instead it has something even more revolutionary. It's called strafing behind a wall.

but that's even simpler than taking cover. I mean if were going to criticise cover systems for being banal shit boring, then what of forms that are even more primitive?

Nostradumbass

Scholar
if there are more tactics possible, which there are, because you can still do everything you can do in doom (there are only things added, not taken away), then how is it not more of an advanced mechanic?

gta4's cover system, for instance, made the combat a lot more enjoyable than in say gta3. it gives you a great deal of possible strategies rather than just running in and out of the open, guns blazing.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
The presence of other mechanics doesn't have any bearing on whether another mechanic is advanced or not.

You said ducking behind a wall is more advanced than simply moving behind a wall, which I don't agree with. I think they're pretty much the same mechanic. The difference between Doom and Gears of War is how they fit into the game. In Gears of War hiding behind a wall equates to standing still and playing a shooting gallery where movement is not important, only aim, contrasted to Doom where there is a need to be in constant movement. I've only played the game twice but I understand why people call it popamole.

Nostradumbass

Scholar
its not a cover system's fault that developer's dont make it more necessary to move more often.

therefor there's nothing particlularly flawed about a cover system in theory, only the way its chosen to be implemented.

take call of duty: grenade of grenade. when you play single player in veteran or whateer, there's shit flying everywhere, forcing you to be constantly on the move (because grenades and explosives make cover useless). now integrate that into a game like gears, and there you have it (+include stuff like more aggressive flanking).

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Thanks for the interesting but unrelated exploration. If I'm not mistaken you said that we should fault Doom for having a more primitive system than Gears of War, and I disagreed. If you end opinion is that "well if they'd done it right, the whole rest of the game just screwed it up for this mechanic" then I'm afraid you have nothing to say. If wishes were unicorns we'd all have a merry christmas.

Nostradumbass

Scholar
i never said gears of war or any game in particular (i did mention gta4 in an unrelated/further example tho). i said the straightforward, primitive style of fighting offered in doom is less complex than what a cover system can offer. that said system hasn't been implemented perfectly yet isnt the problem or the question.

Nostradumbass

Scholar
which is besides the point anyway, because arguably the ATTRACTION to games like doom is its straightforward gameplay. i like it just as much as i do complex tactical stuff like r6 or ofp. it just depends on what I feel like playing.. two different styles. complex or simple, both are good depending on what you're looking for at the time.

having said that, this blows the criticism of "popamole games" out of the water. hey, maybe some people are just looking for something simple like that, just like other people are looking for something simple in doom.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
I hear that a lot about communism. It's good just nobody has done it right yet.

I just don't agree that a cover system is more advanced than using your environment and natural movement mechanics to avoid fire.

Nostradumbass

Scholar
kingcomrade said:
I hear that a lot about communism. It's good just nobody has done it right yet.

I just don't agree that a cover system is more advanced than using your environment and natural movement mechanics to avoid fire.

that's funny becase that's exactly what a cover system promotes. using your environment and adding more movement mechanics. you can do everything you did before except now you have more fluidity.

and lol @ even comparing something that could be easily done in a video game (give me the funds and i'll do it*) to a political system that would be virtually impossible to implement or even try today.

*much like many here could design a good rpg if they had the funds to do so (the game itself might be shit, if the rest of the stuff, like story, is bad, but we at least all have a basic idea of what mechanics are needed). so just cos those rpgs aren't coming out anymore doesnt mean theyre not possible. bit of a far cry from attempting to do something like trying to install a radical political system. :lol:

Nostradumbass

Scholar
and the reason were stuck with popamole shit, for the time being anyway, is because of nothing other than this: artificial intelligence.

because you have all this additional cover, the computer is weak against you. if it tries to move up, you could easily tear it to shreds with the additional tactical options at your disposal. the AI simply isnt advanced enough yet to take on aggressive tactical flanking maneouvres on the fly, as in no scripting involved. Basically, they cant use the system you're using, as well as you.. so theyre at a disadvantage.

instead they just move around a little bit from cover to cover while waiting to be killed (hence the popamole). but if they could easily flank, draw you out, keep you suppressed, etc... boy, would you be in for a hell of an exciting gameplay... much more fun than just running out in the open guns blazing (occasionally strafing or sprinting for cover), imo.

what is needed is a large amount of resources and work put into an AI system designed to take advantage of realistic cover/tactics, and then proper design mechanics introduced so they would act aggressively towards you. technically, on paper, its sound. now someone just needs to do it, but I'm not holding my breath for at least another 3 years.

edit. come to think of it, metal gear solid 2 on ps2 was quite revolutionary and handled many aspects of this quite well. unfortunately a lot of the scenes were scripted in the way the enemy would come at you, but once they were moving, they did have a sense of autonomy in that they could adapt pretty well to your own actions. we need another AI revolution to build on what MGS2 brought. once a game like that comes out, oh gawd itll be heavan. basically it needs to be everything that MGS2 was, but MUCH more. better flanking, better ways of getting you out of cover, use of suppressive fire, etc etc!!!

and no point saying "you can wish all you want". because if no one wishes for something better, then nothing ever would get better.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom