Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dawntide - Indie MMO blah blah blah

Data4

Arcane
For the 2 or 3 of you interested, there's an indie MMO being developed called Dawntide that's set to go into open beta sometime this week. I'll just let their description speak for itself.

We believe the best way to make our goals for the game a reality is to give players the freedom to define their character through their actions, and promote social interaction and interdependence through the game features. When players are encouraged to form realistic societies, many more different meaningful roles become available for the player to engage in at all times. This doesn’t mean that solo play isn’t perfectly viable – only that any kind of play will have the greatest rewards when your opponent is another player.

Dawntide achieves this by creating end goals that require the participation of all player types to complete – from carebears to griefers. Players in Dawntide can create their own cities, even forming nations with their own army and armada. The game gives them the opportunity to create and enforce their own laws and establish government, as well as it gives other players the opportunity to break those laws and overthrow those governments – at their own risk.

Pretty lofty goals for an indie company. A few years back, there was pre-release interest for that abortion of a clusterfuck, Darkfall. Based on the hype, this one appears to be going after that same sort of oldschool, Ultima Online-type world building angle. Whether or not it'll pull it off remains to be seen. For the graphics whores among you, it's got a definite "indie" look to it, but if the gameplay is what they say, the graphics are more than adequate for it.

Have a look. http://www.dawntide.net/

I'll probably give it a go this weekend, assuming the beta goes live by or before then.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
Even DraQ can play this one.

110lurk.jpg

If you've created an account and logged in through the forums you can download the client beforehand, so you're not fighting over bandwidth with 200 other people on friday.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
We believe the best way to make our goals for the game a reality is to give players the freedom to define their character through their actions, and promote social interaction and interdependence through the game features. When players are encouraged to form realistic societies, many more different meaningful roles become available for the player to engage in at all times.
kinda sounds like a more traditional and more boring version of love.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
I actually got into beta a while ago and forgot. I most like the combat system:

Combat in Dawntide revolves heavily around the three Combat Attributes: Force, Speed, and Balance. These will all trend towards zero when not in combat, and go up or down in combat based on your own stances, equipment and other factors as well as those of your target. After entering combat (through a keystroke or hotkey) a character will continually attack their target with either their melee weapon or ranged weapon, based on which they have chosen.
Combat Factors (Force, Speed, Balance or FSB)

* Force modifies your attack damage and the power of your spells. Range: -10 to +10
* Speed modifies your attack speed and the speed at which you cast spells. Range: -10 to +10
* Balance modifies your ability to defend yourself against melee, ranged and spell attacks. Range: -10 to +10

All characters, NPCs and monsters have these Combat Attributes. In the client, they are presented as colored points.
Stances

Stances determine the focus of your character in combat, and will affect all forms of combat from melee to sorcery. All characters start with the basic balanced stance, and more stances can be unlocked through perks as you raise your skills. A few examples are the Aggressive stance which increases your force and lowers your enemy’s balance at the expense of your own balance and the Channeling stance which improves your focus greatly but makes you practically defenseless in combat. Changing stances is a combat action that takes around 1 second and costs a chunk of all your combat factors.

Hopefully it plays out as strategically as it sounds on paper.

Fens

Ford of the Llies
Data4 said:
For the graphics whores among you, it's got a definite "indie" look to it, but if the gameplay is what they say, the graphics are more than adequate for it.

dawntide.png

i definitely want mushroom abomination as a playable race

roll-a-die

Magister
Installing and playing now. Will give opinion in a few hours. EDIT: Shit never mind they ran into instability issues and the servers are down.

roll-a-die

Magister
My impressions, buggy, laggy, a true beta, be aware of that. It's going to crash, it's going to lag, but it seems like it will be an alright game. It almost reminds me of a 3d haven and hearth.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Pretty much same impressions here. Do you know where I can find mobs to test out the combat system. And/or learn skills/stances to mess with?

roll-a-die

Magister
Mangoose said:
Pretty much same impressions here. Do you know where I can find mobs to test out the combat system. And/or learn skills/stances to mess with?
I didn't spawn with any weapons, but mobs you can find all over, snakes and rats mainly.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Interesting. I spawned with weapon and armor but there were no mobs, but plenty of bugged out players. I would've explored more but I crashed. I'll probably check out the forums and read up on the game before trying again tomorrow.

roll-a-die

Magister
Mangoose said:
Interesting. I spawned with weapon and armor but there were no mobs, but plenty of bugged out players. I would've explored more but I crashed. I'll probably check out the forums and read up on the game before trying again tomorrow.
By tomorrow the people expecting a publicity beta should be gone.

Data4

Arcane
Doh! My thread and I completely forgot about this. Been putting together some pieces for my outdoor mancave and I got distracted.

So it is a buggy, feature-crippled "true" beta? Perfect! I assume, roll-a-die, that there are people bitching that the game isn't finished. Typical. Downloading now.

Data4

Arcane
Bah. I'm completely fine with testing out a game, reporting bugs as I see them and just generally trying to break things for the greater developmental good, but falling through the ground every 5 in-game feet makes that nigh impossible.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom