Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Alpha Protocol "I finished the game!" Thread!

Inziladun

Magister
I beat the Alpha Protocol today :!:

I sexed three girls! :idea:

I enlisted the help of infamous G22 :arrow:

I was the disappoint.

Seriously, the damsel in distress scenario, whoopie do, save her or save hundreds of people. Good choice, I could buy it, but then in the end they're all like "save another girl, or kill me" and I'm like, fuck them bitches I just used them for sex, kill dat hoe.

The wrap up with all the kkkaracters was super lame. Scarlet is teh missing, all dem other hoes are dead. Nancy is gone and I had an epic show down with that bad guy dude with the missile launcher.

Anyone else think the bosses in this game suck balls :evil: :?:

Also when mikey is talking to himself at the end on the boat, it made me cringe.

ALso, also, this ending sucks worse than KOTOR2s.

The material was alright, but the execution was flawed. Typical Obsidian... :idea:

:shock:

Jimmy McDunce

Novice
Re: The Alpha Protocol "I finished the game!" Thre

Inziladun said:
I beat the Alpha Protocol today :!:

I sexed three girls! :idea:

I enlisted the help of infamous G22 :arrow:

proof that ap is for casual

Inziladun

Magister
Donkey Balls said:
How many hours did it take you?

I honestly don't know. The saves don't list game time, maybe because the game's so short? lol.

Can't imagine it took me longer than say 15 hours or so. Pathetically short, most of the game time was ate up by reloads because I wanted to do things stealthy, even though I could of just as easily went in guns blazing without much consequence other than the mission briefing scolding me for shooting whores and stuff.

Other than the broke stealth/shooting mechanics, I did have a lot of fun in the bits where you got to interact with characters, most notably the Rome series of missions. There is some good choice and consequences in the game, but it's buried in shit, so it's almost not even worth it.

The Boss fights, as I said earlier, were just god awful. Especially if you decided to specialize in stealth and stuff. They also seemed out of place, like Metal Gear Solid bosses or something silly like that. The AI is also pretty broken, and this is really noticeable on the bosses. It was hilarious how I struggled very much with getting past Darcy, and the Helicopter in the final mission and then the end guy I was able to hide behind a pillar and methodically charge up shots on his head while he just sat there.

Inziladun

Magister
1. As much fun as it is to pick on Drog, he's right. 10-15 hours is not a good length for games, especially RPGs. It's only really acceptable for FPS whose main appeal is the multiplayer gameplay anyway.

2. Fuck Euros, the game's selling for 60$ on the xbox. Think it's 50$ on PC. Fuck euros, fuck you.

3. The game is still decent, just not worth full price. Steal it or wait a year to buy.

relootz

Scholar
The ending is worse then Kotor 2? How is that even possible???

Inziladun

Magister
Imagine a stealth game.

Now imagine the game had shitty stealth and shooting mechanics.

Now imagine the game told you to FIGHT your way past...

40 guards

a boss with respawning guards.

40 guards

another boss with respawning guards

a helicopter with a couple of guards

20 guards

a boss with respawnable guards.

a shitty ending.

I'd take KOTOR2s "lolwut?" ending any day over this "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH" ending.

yaster

Liturgist
Re: The Alpha Protocol "I finished the game!" Thre

Inziladun said:
Also when mikey is talking to himself at the end on the boat, it made me cringe.

That scene was totally hilarious. It could only be better if you earlier joined leland, then betrayed him and killed. That would be a perfect ending.

yaster

Liturgist
And helicopter is actually good stuff even if slightly hard.

The rest of the bosses are shit tho', Leland especially.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Inziladun said:
1. As much fun as it is to pick on Drog, he's right. 10-15 hours is not a good length for games, especially RPGs.
Isn't the whole point that there are multiple, varied endings and all sorts of missions you don't even get unless you pick the right choices in order?

... or is that a lie?

Lexx

Cipher
Donkey Balls said:
Haha, I bet even Splinter Cell Conviction is a much better game than this POS.

Nope. Played it and it felt like shit. Even Double Agent has been better and Double Agent was shit already.

Inziladun

Magister
DarkUnderlord said:
... or is that a lie?

Well the way you describe it is a lie. There's no missions you don't get regardless of the choices you make, you can skip some missions voluntarily, but that's about it. There are variations of the missions based on your choices, but most of them are too minor to be mentionable, for example a choice leading to there being more/less guards in a subsequent mission.

Most of the game's choices and consequences stem from the alliance system and picking sides, which is pretty decent, but not enough in of itself to warrant multiple play throughs. Aside from the ending(presumably), picking sides just leads to different handler/backup options for a very select few missions. I haven't seen any negatives to making someone hate you, or any reason why some characters even had an influence meter. But I admittedly didn't play through each option just to see.

circ

Arcane
There seem to be two endings. Join Halbech, quick ending just ending crawl maybe, and defeat Leland and AP cronies, boat ride with possible par amour, followed by ending crawl.

You can pick the missions in any order you like, but if you jump straight to the last mission in an area, earlier ones will close up. Earlier missions are essentially just there to gather money, intel on factions/people. Intel gives you a damage bonus against factions/people (usually boss).

You don't get a whole set of new missions as such, just different factions active in said missions, and some missions closed up.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
DramaticPopcorn said:
Intel gives you a damage bonus against factions/people (usually boss).
Well this is retarded...
The game justifies it by saying that the dossiers contain information on previous injuries, fighting styles etc.

yaster

Liturgist
Inziladun said:
DarkUnderlord said:
... or is that a lie?

Well the way you describe it is a lie. There's no missions you don't get regardless of the choices you make, you can skip some missions voluntarily, but that's about it. There are variations of the missions based on your choices, but most of them are too minor to be mentionable, for example a choice leading to there being more/less guards in a subsequent mission.

Most of the game's choices and consequences stem from the alliance system and picking sides, which is pretty decent, but not enough in of itself to warrant multiple play throughs. Aside from the ending(presumably), picking sides just leads to different handler/backup options for a very select few missions. I haven't seen any negatives to making someone hate you, or any reason why some characters even had an influence meter. But I admittedly didn't play through each option just to see.

Allies also influence what you can buy (e.g. G22 is selling pistols). And they determine gameplay for several encounters during some mission - for example storming russian mafia with alba grant you quick access to roof and sniper rifle to silently clean courtyard while Sie will bring tank to blast through the front gate - you can forget using stealth for courtyard.

Some choices reduce strenght of enemies in area. If Heck like you he can for a price nerf Brayko with poisoned cocaine.

And afaik there is at least one mission with you won't get if you get on bad side of one guy (triad's boss). Though the guy is minor character. I don't know if there is positive consequence of this though, according to what obs talked about before release there should be. I fuckin' hope so.

Most choices seems to have influence on story and that kind of flavor stuff. I liked how something I said about my profession (oil magnate) to just met character was latter mentioned in one email and then much, much latter, nearly at the end in one speech. Neat but not really game-making, just flavor. I was wondering what could happen if you get on the bad side of everybody. If storyline would still hold or crumble like castle made of sand in such circumstances. I am currently on such playthough but it is currently on hold...

Overall I was really hoping for something like DU spoke of. Metagame of choice and that kind of things. It doesn't seems to be the case, I'm bit disappointed.

KalosKagathos

Learned
circ said:
There seem to be two endings. Join Halbech, quick ending just ending crawl maybe, and defeat Leland and AP cronies, boat ride with possible par amour, followed by ending crawl.
The prestigious xbox360achievements.org magazine mentions three:
1. Choosing your own path, you put an end to Halbech and Alpha Protocol.
2. You reconciled with Alpha Protocol and put Halbech out of business.
3. You joined Halbech and put an end to Alpha Protocol.
Anyone got the second one? I guess you have to be liked by Parker, Yancy and avoid killing CIA agents.
Jaedar said:
The game justifies it by saying that the dossiers contain information on previous injuries, fighting styles etc.
And the bonus is only 5%.

Radisshu

Prophet
Inziladun said:
DarkUnderlord said:
... or is that a lie?

Well the way you describe it is a lie. There's no missions you don't get regardless of the choices you make, you can skip some missions voluntarily, but that's about it.
Some missions disappear if you pick other missions before them. I never encountered Sis during my playthrough for example.

circ

Arcane
I don't think she does anyway. Possibly she gets captured instead of Sie by Brayko, and you have to pick her or the intel instead.

What's interesting though is that Steve can spike Brayko's coke? Does that mean no boss fight (probably the most annoying in the game), or a quicker one? Does Steve help with other stuff too, if recruited earlier? I only had him for Taipei, and he seemed like the only useful char, other than Sie in endgame.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom