Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Dungeon Siege 3 Announced

Felix

Arcane
Haters gonna hate and life goes on anyway.

ZbojLamignat

Educated
Darth Roxor said:
Yes, they weren't even there. But, somehow, it made DS1 better.
I lost you at "somehow".

I agree with you about skill trees in DS2 - they were largely shit and uninspiring, but still a lot better than what DS1 provided.

That being said, I think that DS2 combined with character development from Titan Quest would have the potential to be one of the best h'n's games ever when it comes to single-player.

Also, saying all that shit reminded me that I have to play Hexplore.

ZbojLamignat

Educated
I vaguely remember a certain Bay site having a copy.

No guarantees though, it's one of those games that I want to replay god knows how long and never do.

^:D

downloadan

Shannow said:
madbringer said:
What "no", DS2 really was a huge improvement over DS1. It's actually a decent game, if you're into extremely linear lootan gaems, and
No
i could see myself play it again if a wave of boredom suddenly struck me.
Yes

I'm for a segregation of opinions and facts. All opinions presented as facts will be labeled as "no", because I disagree out of principle. All opinions that are presented as opinions will be labeled as "yes", because I couldn't care less and that rhymes.

In my opinion, you're a fag.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Clockwork Knight said:
Shannow said:
madbringer said:
What "no", DS2 really was a huge improvement over DS1. It's actually a decent game, if you're into extremely linear lootan gaems, and
No
i could see myself play it again if a wave of boredom suddenly struck me.
Yes

I'm for a segregation of opinions and facts. All opinions presented as facts will be labeled as "no", because I disagree out of principle. All opinions that are presented as opinions will be labeled as "yes", because I couldn't care less and that rhymes.

In my opinion, you're a fag.
But I don't even own a motorbike... :(

Micmu

Magister
DS is H&S now?
More like click & wait, click & wait... etc
commie said:
All H & S games are the same shit. Why single out DS when it's no more shitty than Diablo or any other clone?
Why don't you play some of those games and DS before saying something silly. They might be all crap but DS is on an entirely different level.

madbringer

Arcane
commie said:
All H & S games are the same shit. Why single out DS when it's no more shitty than Diablo or any other clone?

Yeah like every FPS is the same game because LOL first person and shooting, every RPG is the same because LOL stats and abilities, every adventure game is the same because LOL puzzles, every strategy is the same because LOL unit managment.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
commie said:
diablo has random map generation, a moderate difficulty on hell, and pretty creepy atmosphere the first time you play it. it's like a roguelike-lite in real time.

shit like sacred, ds, or titan's quest took everything that made it roguelike away, only leaving in those elements that cause the highest addiction, that is tons of random loot generation and skilltrees you can spend point on for prettier on-screen effects. they are pretty much a distillation of everything addictive about roguelikes without anything that makes them cool games or anything to compensate for the loss, like story for example.
they are the absolute bottom of everything remotely rpg.

KalosKagathos

Learned
What's with all the hate for the Dungeon Siege film? King Burt calling in the ninjas makes the movie worth pirating.

Zomg

Arbiter
Fucking whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
SuicideBunny said:
commie said:
diablo has random map generation, a moderate difficulty on hell, and pretty creepy atmosphere the first time you play it. it's like a roguelike-lite in real time.

shit like sacred, ds, or titan's quest took everything that made it roguelike away, only leaving in those elements that cause the highest addiction, that is tons of random loot generation and skilltrees you can spend point on for prettier on-screen effects. they are pretty much a distillation of everything addictive about roguelikes without anything that makes them cool games or anything to compensate for the loss, like story for example.
they are the absolute bottom of everything remotely rpg.
:rpgnazi:

Morkar Left

Shannow said:
Morkar said:
I think the decision to do this was only business/money-related.
No shit. What made you come to that conclusion?

There´s a difference between economic necessities to keep business alive and the choice to do something with more risk. AP, partly MotB and SoZ were the more risky projects of Obsidian. NWN2 and NV are the sure bets. The motivations to take DS3 are arguable. That brings me to the conclusion that it is mainly a good founded project with financially low risk (compared to other choices).

Shannow

Waster of Time
Morkar said:
Shannow said:
Morkar said:
I think the decision to do this was only business/money-related.
No shit. What made you come to that conclusion?

There´s a difference between economic necessities to keep business alive and the choice to do something with more risk. AP, partly MotB and SoZ were the more risky projects of Obsidian. NWN2 and NV are the sure bets. The motivations to take DS3 are arguable. That brings me to the conclusion that it is mainly a good founded project with financially low risk (compared to other choices).
MotB and SoZ built on an existing engine and fed off of NWN2's sales and the fact that newer mods would require the expansions. AP feeds off of MEh, MEh2, Bauer and Bourne (Bond not mentioned because Bond is not a recent trend and I didn't see any Bond in AP). Seriously, I don't see this "risk" you are talking about. Obsidian care about keeping their business alive. The majority of their employees couldn't care less if they were making the newest GTA, Tyger Woods: Live like a Golfstar, DOOM 4, Pokemon: Adamantuin Edition, Need for Speed 23 or BG3, they care about being paid. And management will go where they think the money is. Simple as that.

Araanor

Liturgist
Obsidian Squeenix Dungeon Siege Uwe Boll COMBINE!

elkston said:
Never would have imagined this pair up, but I DO think the original Dungeon Siege was fun for what it was.
A screen saver?

Morkar Left

MotB was not a big risk but it wasn´t a sure bet either. The story in MotB was a bit too strange for the usual fantasymainstreamcrowd like torment or even arcanum was too.
And the delivered content for the editor was not much. If they had failed with that expansion then SoZ would have been never released. And SoZ was a total experiment if you consider the focus of the expansion and was blamed for exactly that from the majority of NWN2-gamers (and not because of the technical limitations).
And AP is hardly a ME clone. Maybe the gameplay is similar but the focus on espionage is something more or less new. And Bauer and Bourne hardly count for calling AP a safe thing. That would mean that every generic fantasygame is without risk because there are the LotR-movies.

Obsidian care about keeping their business alive.

Of course they do. It would be stupid to think otherwise. But they don´t take always the safe road, sometimes they try to do something new with more risk (and of course hope for more money to come from that risk). But don´t underestimate the will to do something you like. I think every programmer at least would have an easier and probably better (and regularly) paid job in a regular softwarecompany instead of working in the gaming industry.
Ok, game-designers are always fucked up like in every creative writing job.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Morkar said:
And AP is hardly a ME clone. Maybe the gameplay is similar but the focus on espionage is something more or less new. And Bauer and Bourne hardly count for calling AP a safe thing. That would mean that every generic fantasygame is without risk because there are the LotR-movies.
MEh-gameplay-clone that went with the current spy-trend. And yes, in fact every game has its risks, every game can fail. Obsidian are in no way special. If a new setting is a risk then Bioware take more risks, if stories that don't appeal to the mainstream are risky then Bethesda is riskier (FO3 being a sorry excuse for a story). The only difference being that Obsidian makes slightly worse engines with slightly more bugs than the others. To make up for that, their stories, story-telling and characters are better.
The only risk compared to Bio and Beth comes with not having as much money to pump into advertisement and hype.
Of course they do. It would be stupid to think otherwise. But they don´t take always the safe road, sometimes they try to do something new with more risk (and of course hope for more money to come from that risk). But don´t underestimate the will to do something you like. I think every programmer at least would have an easier and probably better (and regularly) paid job in a regular softwarecompany instead of working in the gaming industry.
Ok, game-designers are always fucked up like in every creative writing job.
Every game is a risk, and Obsidian try to minimize this as much as the others. That's why they focus on sloppy seconds and copying Bioware. And regarding programmers: considering the "quality" of not only but especially Obsidian's games you'll excuse me if I find it doubtful that their programmers would have an easy time finding a job somewhere else.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"AP, partly MotB and SoZ were the more risky projects of Obsidian."

MotB and SOZ were not 'risky oprojects'. They're fuckin' expansions to a successful game FFS.

AP is no more risky than any other new IP. It's not special in that regard. If that was the stress level for 'risk' than DA and ME were risks as well.

What others is saying is true. Obsidian doesn't take risks. That's not bashing them as In like Obsidian, but they don't take risks. EVAR.

NWN2
NWN2 MOTB
NWN2 SOZ
FO NV
DS3
AP

BIO BETH SEGA SS

Noope. Not risky.

Obsidian does their best to minimize risk. Nothing wrong with that but stop bullshitting.

You want risky? Going from making medical software to making games. That's fuckin' risky.

Heartwarden

Educated
Shannow said:
if stories that don't appeal to the mainstream are risky then Bethesda is riskier (FO3 being a sorry excuse for a story).
There are stories that appeal to the mainstream?

Obsidian certainly don't take risks, although I question Dungeon Siege. Obsidian should be able to make something work, though, while at the same time with it not working at all.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Heartwarden said:
Shannow said:
if stories that don't appeal to the mainstream are risky then Bethesda is riskier (FO3 being a sorry excuse for a story).
There are stories that appeal to the mainstream?
Of course: You are teh speshul Warden/Specter/Spy/Chosen/Witcher. Go, kick ass and fuck half the female cast. You cannot lose. You are so speshul. The destiny of the land/world/universe/multiverse lies in your hands. How do you choose? Choice is your weapon you are so speshul you cannot lose.

Pretty much any story that gives RL loosers a sense of power and accomplishment or is suitably heroic will appeal to them.

Morkar Left

Shannow said:
MEh-gameplay-clone that went with the current spy-trend. And yes, in fact every game has its risks, every game can fail. Obsidian are in no way special. If a new setting is a risk then Bioware take more risks, if stories that don't appeal to the mainstream are risky then Bethesda is riskier (FO3 being a sorry excuse for a story). The only difference being that Obsidian makes slightly worse engines with slightly more bugs than the others. To make up for that, their stories, story-telling and characters are better.
The only risk compared to Bio and Beth comes with not having as much money to pump into advertisement and hype.

The DA-Setting is an absolute generic fantasy-setting. There is no risk. In fact it could have been just another FR-adventure. I think the negotiations with WotC went wrong and they decided to develop their own uninspired generic fantasy-setting that allowed them to use a rulesys that is easier to implement and save the license-fees.
And Fallout was an established franchise and bethesda wanted an rpg with guns for a wider audience. That I´m sure.
And i really see no spytrend, maybe tendencies. I think even the zombie-hype was more successfull.
An Alien-Rpg was never seen before, only shooter/action-games. Didn´t they even develop a Sonic-Rpg?

...Obsidian makes slightly worse engines with slightly more bugs than the others. To make up for that, their stories, story-telling and characters are better.

That´s Obsidian in a nutshell.

Every game is a risk, and Obsidian try to minimize this as much as the others. That's why they focus on sloppy seconds and copying Bioware. And regarding programmers: considering the "quality" of not only but especially Obsidian's games you'll excuse me if I find it doubtful that their programmers would have an easy time finding a job somewhere else.

The point is they take the chance to make something more inspired when they can and franchises like D&D and Fallout are still prestigious ones that most rpg-developers were happy to use. To make that clear; I´m no Obsidian fanboy. I think there was no great game they developed but they were more refreshing and more focused on stats than other rpg-developers of today.
Even these programmers have very good chances on the market to get equal or even better contracts on the market.

MotB and SOZ were not 'risky oprojects'. They're fuckin' expansions to a successful game FFS.

And expansions can fail. MotB was less risky because it was the first one released. If SoZ was the first one, there would have been no second expansion. Most of the community didn´t liked it. And even expansions are projects ;)

AP is no more risky than any other new IP. It's not special in that regard. If that was the stress level for 'risk' than DA and ME were risks as well.

DA = generic fantasy setting like every other (and that is was the majority want)
ME = generic scifi setting with magic included. But yeah, they took some risk there (backed up with enough money that obsidian lack of)

You want risky? Going from making medical software to making games. That's fuckin' risky.

Besides that I assume the medical-software market is hard to be I agree there.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom