Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Post youtube clips of games you think people should play.

Coyote

Arcane
I just finished Psychonauts for the first time a few days ago and agree completely with the comments in this thread. It's a great game with a lot of creativity and humor.

My favorite part was the Milkman Conspiracy level; it was a great metaphorical representation of the mind of a paranoid schizophrenic (which I'll still think of Boyd as being even if he turned out to have another problem or two in the end).

If you collect all the chest figments (not the random flying ones), you get slides explaining the characters' pasts. For Boyd, it explains how he was already cuckoo but the Coach made it worse.

Sasha's past is priceless.

Catalina

Scholar
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7aB0e8I ... re=related

Persona 4. There's so many scenes I'd love to link, but this one is the most Codex related.

Semi-serious answer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZQBqx-H_qA
Space Channel 5
Rythm game.

Serious answer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuLbvySlJO4

Fatal Frame 1

Dunno how fun this looks without context. Basically in the game you go around trying to find hidden ghosts with a camera. All the ones in the game before this point were on walls, so the game throws a surprise at your expectations and puts it on the ceiling.

Coyote

Arcane
Clockwork Knight said:
If you collect all the chest figments (not the random flying ones), you get slides explaining the characters' pasts. For Boyd, it explains how he was already cuckoo but the Coach made it worse.

Sasha's past is priceless.

Yeah, I actually did that - picked up every collectible in the game except for the one you get for completing the mini-game in Coach Oleander's Basic Braining (which is unnecessary to reach level 100, presumably since the mini-game gets nearly impossible around the sixth phase). Had forgotten about that. Sasha, though...

Sasha's second reel confused me a bit. At first I thought he had just gotten flustered when he looked into his dad's mind for memories of his mom and saw one where they were getting intimate. However, the next slide suggests that what he saw caused him to leave home, which seems like a bit of an overreaction if that's all there is to it.

I found Milla's second reel especially poignant, possibly because I didn't come back and find it until the end of the game and had been thinking of her as a very one-dimensional character up to that point. Her entire mind is a dance party, but she's still got her own ghosts, locked away in a box in a room where no one is supposed to go.

lightbane

Arcane
Coyote said:
Sasha's second reel confused me a bit. At first I thought he had just gotten flustered when he looked into his dad's mind for memories of his mom and saw one where they were getting intimate. However, the next slide suggests that what he saw caused him to leave home, which seems like a bit of an overreaction if that's all there is to it.

I found Milla's second reel especially poignant, possibly because I didn't come back and find it until the end of the game and had been thinking of her as a very one-dimensional character up to that point. Her entire mind is a dance party, but she's still got her own ghosts, locked away in a box in a room where no one is supposed to go.

I thought it was that Sasha's dad kicked him out of his house out of fear. Milla's ghosts, yes, the ghost part is creepy. A shame but the original concept was that you had to find that secret room, and eventually on the same level the ghosts would escape and her repressed memories would flow everywhere, endagering everyone I guess.

Paperclip

Liturgist
Battlezone_Coverart.png

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Fff-1tFkpU

Destroid

Arcane
I played a ton of T:V, although only the demo. It came with 100% content on 3 different maps, so it was about 20% of the game.

Played some Tremulous but didn't like it at all compared to similar games like Natural Selection.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom