Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

It is time - New RPG Codex Holy Trinity™ your fav top 5

mister_matt

Educated
Tex said:
Dwarf Fortress

I know a few people who harp on this game to the point of doing an excellent impersonation of a broken record. Is the hype really well founded? I'm a little apprehensive about the learning curve.

Tex

Novice
Well, I like it, but I'm a masochist.
when I got started there was a huge tutorial that spanned about 13 articles on a website that pretty much told you how to do everything basic in the game, so that was cool.

Nex

Cipher
mister_matt said:
Tex said:
Dwarf Fortress

I know a few people who harp on this game to the point of doing an excellent impersonation of a broken record. Is the hype really well founded? I'm a little apprehensive about the learning curve.

Go to the forums and watch some of the tutorial videos (theres about 40 :P). Will get you started. Working out other stuff is part of the fun anyways.

Oh, and yes, the hype is well founded.

Relayer71

Liturgist
- Baldur's Gate II
- Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind (+ both expansions)
- Wizardry 8
- Divine Divinity
- Planescape: Torment

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
ALL votes from this post an above have now been counted. Thanks to those who did vote! I will not count any more votes past this point. Sorry this thread has been here for a month, so if you missed it, perhaps you can vote next time.

Results and a lulzy write up coming later today, with a STUNNING conclusion that could rip the very fabric of the codex apart!

Stay tuned to General RPG Discussions!

DraQ

Arcane
My list (in no particular order):

Fallout1 - could have gone with FO2, but with temple of trials, Yakuza, DEs, P90s, overdose of EEs and talking plants/radscorpions (didn't mind talking deathclaws) it was just too incongruous to compete with it's prequel.

PS:T - storytelling, atmosphere, dialogue, clever subversions, imaginative locations.

TES III: Morrowind - excellent setting and exploration, cool art design, pretty flexible magic, allows for diverse gameplay styles if you don't abuse broken mechanics. Would be easily surpassed by Daggerfall, if the latter was more finished, more diverse, did something with it's huge gameplay area and didn't send you on dungeon crawls on slightest provocation.

Wizardry 8 - excellent adventuring party atmosphere, good gameplay, replayability through party builds, and some hard to describe overall charm.

The Witcher - A New Hope.
:smug:

Close misses:

Anachronox - would certainly make it on the list, if it was an RPG

Limorkil

Liturgist
1. The Witcher
2. Baldur's Gate 1
3. Oblivion
4. KOTOR
5. Ultima 7

I based this on how much fun I had playing them. There are some games I think are better in theory, yet they failed to hold my attention as well: BG2, Motb, Morrowind, Wizardry 8.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Dragon Age: Origins
Fallout 2
Baldurs Gate 2
Fallout 1
Fallout 3

fuzzball

Novice
1. Baldur's Gate 2
2. Planescape:Torment
3. Fallout
4. Temple of Elemental Evil
5. Bloodlines

fuzzball

Novice
Didn't see the last posts in the thread. Oh well, just wanted to post my top 5 for the posterity.

deus101

Never LET ME into a tattoo parlor!
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
Baldurs Gate
Baldurs Gate 2
Icewind Dale
Icewind Dale 2
Planescape Torment.

....yep....yep yep yep.....

I...i just love that engine.....

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom