Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry The Wizardry Series Thread

sirfink

Scholar
Skill points are pretty slim on a ninja. My ninja's magic skill and kirijitus (instant-kill skill) never, ever went up through use -- only through investing points when leveling up -- and that is a random number between 1 and 10, or something like that. So, you want those magic skills so you can gain new spells and you want kirijitsu so you can insta-kill more than 1 in a 1000 hits. That leaves nothing for skullduggery. I had the bard do that, though she too was point-starved.

As far as ranged attacks go, Ninjas and Monks both have spells and plenty of them. I had my monk in the third position (left hand, second row) and he could attack with hands and feet. My ninja was second row right side and could not attack with hands feet unless she first went into stealth. Why? No idea. But, being a ninja, it made sense for her to stay stealthy. And she had tons of good spells to use too. And shuriken to throw, and so on.

The monk did okay in 6 but now I'm in 7 and he is kicking all kinds of ass. More kills than anyone else in the party. His kicks and punches are doing three times the damage of everyone else's swords and bows. And when he feels like he fries someone's brain with a psionic attack. Plus he's a mook. Named Maurice.

What are the ocurrence rates of random encounters in different places in Wiz6 and 7? I've noticed that encounters are much more common outside of the castle in Wiz6. Are there any further variations in the rate?

I've halted playing for now. Instead, I'm now replaying Oblivion. Then I remembered this poll.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Encounter-rate varies on the tile you are on. If you use Mad God's Cosmic Forge editor you can actually see where you can encounter what with what percentage. (And modify it if so inclined.)

I didn't notice much of a rule, but there is deliberate variation.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Okay I am about to embark on Bane of the Cosmic Forge. I can't seem to find an answer to this question though: Should I plan to switch classes, or not? From searching through this forum and others, I can't tell if it's a powergaming option so that you can beat every boss on Expert mode, or if it's recommended so I don't grind my life away for certain hard fights.

Yes, I already know your opinion, Zomg.

I never did and I did just fine. So don't. Make sure you have a mage in your party. That is my one suggestion. Magic Missile and over lovely effect all spells are a god send. Don't bother having an alchemist or a psionic really. Besides a mage the only one you should choose is priest. Bishop is a mix and it just is less effective than a mage or priest.

DraQ

Arcane
mondblut said:
Next time you'll ask whether you should raise levels in M&M or GB series or not?

I MADE U A STRAWMAN

011_Octriallach.gif

BUT I BORKED IT

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Class switching is just too much fun in Wizardry and one of it's hallmarks. It is completely optional, so do what ever you want to do.

In my last 6/7/8 run through I gave everyone a level of ninja, just because I never tried that before.

thathmew

Zero Sum Software
Developer
Switching classes is hugely helpful, and I find it to be more fun frankly. One switch won't ruin the game making it too easy or anything, but will provide a party with more flexibility.

Not as important in Forge, but in Crusaders its much, much more of a slog without switching.

I usually roll up characters that can switch, but start in a basic class. So I start with a bunch of Fighters who become ninjas/valkyries/samurai/lords/rangers/bards and mages/priests who switch over to bishops. Occasionally I've had character switch a third time (usually the casters) and I usually switch around level 8/9, and I switch one character, get them up a couple levels before switching another, particularly with casters you don't want to give up all your big spells at once.

I look it as their basic training followed by their real career.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
thathmew said:
Switching classes is hugely helpful, and I find it to be more fun frankly. One switch won't ruin the game making it too easy or anything, but will provide a party with more flexibility.

Not as important in Forge, but in Crusaders its much, much more of a slog without switching.

I usually roll up characters that can switch, but start in a basic class. So I start with a bunch of Fighters who become ninjas/valkyries/samurai/lords/rangers/bards and mages/priests who switch over to bishops. Occasionally I've had character switch a third time (usually the casters) and I usually switch around level 8/9, and I switch one character, get them up a couple levels before switching another, particularly with casters you don't want to give up all your big spells at once.

I look it as their basic training followed by their real career.

This.

DO note that class switching is NOT automatic. When you level up, it raises one of your stats (STR/INT/PIE etc...) if it doesn't not raise the stat you need to go into the next class you want, be prepared for some epic grindan (likely at the mines), because of the fountain there. That's where I go for gindan.

You may want to think carefully when you roll each character to make sure they have stats in the class you want them to play as well as having the stats needed to go to the class you want them to switch to, so you really need to RTFM. Also KAR seems to always roll low when making characters in Wiz VI. I forget what it effects, but even slowing DOSBox to 100 cycles (because the char gen screen runs SUPER fast) I always got consistently low KAR. :/

Jive One

Educated
Look at all these pansy power-gamers. What can't hack it with your starting classes? Up Up Down Down Left Right Left Right B A Start you new-gen motherfuckers.

Nomnoming through a smoked meat poutine right abou
A Wizardry game by Atlus? Damn, I feel like I'm going to have to take a course to understand how exactly it works. Sounds good to me!

As for original topic, I'm new to the Wiz 6-8 myself, so I've no clue in the matter, though my usual way of going about it is the 'goof around with each of the classes near the start until something feels right'. I normally end up dying a lot, and rarely get that far, but I find it suits my enjoyment needs quite well.

Zomg

Arbiter
This is why I give out the advice, as noted obliquely in the OP, that people playing Wiz 6 and Wiz 7 should 1) play on normal difficulty and 2) not use class switching, to keep the games from shithammering themselves.

Nomnoming through a smoked meat poutine right abou
Zomg said:
This is why I give out the advice, as noted obliquely in the OP, that people playing Wiz 6 and Wiz 7 should 1) play on normal difficulty and 2) not use class switching, to keep the games from shithammering themselves.

So as an example should us new players treat it like the Dual-Classing of AD&D? Mindboggling and near-incomprehensible at first but pretty straight forward once you're familiar with the stat system and mechanics?

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Jaesun said:
Class switching is just too much fun in Wizardry and one of it's hallmarks. It is completely optional, so do what ever you want to do.
This.
Class switching very fun and much useful. Watchbells for your fighters, spells from several schools for your casters, ninjutsu for everyone.

thekdawg21

Augur
Project: Eternity
If you want to beat some of the optional battles in the end game of Wiz 7, you will need a significant amount of your party with the ninjitsu skill. Other than that, you'll eventually grind your way past any combat challenge even if you play with an all faerie team. Wiz will begin difficult and end up easy.

Optimal party would be something like

Faerie Bard -> Alchemist -> Ninja
Dracon Rogue -> Mage -> Samurai
Lizardman Ranger -> Priest -> Lord
Dwarf Ranger -> Priest -> Valkyrie
Mook Bard -> Mage
Elf Bard -> Mage/Priest -> Bishop

Don't worry about rolling for ultimate rolls in character creation as they'll drop down to min stats when you change class.

Your formation will look like

Liz Ranger
Dwarf Ranger
Drac Rogue
Fae Rogue
Mook Bard
Elf Bard

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom