Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Ultima 6 Project: v1.0 Now Released!

zephyrjs

Novice
mikaelis said:
Shit! Can't you install it on other disk? Like “E:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Dungeon Siege” ?

Cause I don't have much space there and all my games are on E:

Probably fine. As long as it starts and runs it should probably be fine. The main thing is that Windows seems to do different things depending on the TYPE of Program Files folder (x86 vs. not). Or, I could just be wrong about the whole thing and it might just work no matter what you do. :) I just know that people were posting during the Beta phase saying that it worked if you installed it to Program Files. Might as well try it out and see if it works. :)

Aletys

Novice
Ultima 6 Project Main Site Down - Here are the mirror links

Sorry folks, we've been slashdotted, and our site is down. We're working to get it back up, but in the meantime, here are the links for our mirrors, including one Torrent link:

Strategy Informer:http://www.strategyinformer.com/pc/dungeonsiege/mod/36621.html

Ultima Aiera: http://www.ultimaaiera.com/?dl_id=351

Thehawk Online: http://u6project.thehawkonline.com/down ... ct_1_0.zip

Torrent: http://www.gameupdates.org/details.php?id=4215

Aletys
Ultima 6 Project

ecliptic

Liturgist
Good stuff! It's always nice when a project like this actually sees the light of day. Congrats on all the hard work the team put in. Time to find my copy of DS. :)

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
Can we get any further comments from our resident experts about this? The quality of this thing seems a bit ambiguous as of now.

Saxon1974

Prophet
I really liked the intro they did for the game, really give me the feeling of walking out into the dark woods at night...nicely done.

I didn't play it all that long but from what I could see I think Im really going to like this one. My problem is Im in the middle of 2 other games that I want to finish first. That and I want someone else to flush out bugs first :)

Did I mention the game crashed on starting a new game the first 2 times I tried to start it? Third time was a charm though!

Aikaeli

Novice
Thanks to Zephyr and everyone else who made this possible! I haven't yet played it, but I loved Lazarus--amazing dialogue--and Ultimas 4-7, along with early UO. I plan to grab this soon.

Below, though, I have a general sort of spoiler question regarding something that's always irked me about U5-7 and Laz. I hope something that has been a big problem for me has not been repeated in U6P.

Are spells like Invisibility and Time Stop as overpowered in U6P as they are in U5-7 and Lazarus? In U5, spamming Time Stop became the mode once you got it. In U6, Invisibility, Mass Invisibility, and Time Stop were all overpowered. In U7, tons of spells were overpowered, and even though Time Stop was effectively dropped for SI, SI was still very easy in terms of combat. And in Lazarus, Time Stop lasted for TWENTY-FIVE seconds! That's without "Duration," which I never ended up getting. (I actually stopped playing toward the end, while cleaning up in the underworld. I did love the game, though.)

So my question is this: have you guys stuck with the easy-combat-for-those-who-want-it-easy route, or made even this aspect of the game more challenging (as it could be in U4 and even U5 until Magic Axes + Time Stop)? Just curious. Hope to download the game tomorrow.

Also, has anyone else been as bothered as I have by the exploitable nature of most Ultima combat? Going from the tighter U4 system to the exploits of 5-7, and then back to UO, which has the best MMO combat (to this day), and experiencing the greatness of all the series games outside of combat, one really has to wonder whether Garriott really needed to make the combat as easy as he did. . . .

Aletys

Novice
Aikaeli said:
Thanks to Zephyr and everyone else who made this possible! I haven't yet played it, but I loved Lazarus--amazing dialogue--and Ultimas 4-7, along with early UO. I plan to grab this soon.

Below, though, I have a general sort of spoiler question regarding something that's always irked me about U5-7 and Laz. I hope something that has been a big problem for me has not been repeated in U6P.

Are spells like Invisibility and Time Stop as overpowered in U6P as they are in U5-7 and Lazarus? In U5, spamming Time Stop became the mode once you got it. In U6, Invisibility, Mass Invisibility, and Time Stop were all overpowered. In U7, tons of spells were overpowered, and even though Time Stop was effectively dropped for SI, SI was still very easy in terms of combat. And in Lazarus, Time Stop lasted for TWENTY-FIVE seconds! That's without "Duration," which I never ended up getting. (I actually stopped playing toward the end, while cleaning up in the underworld. I did love the game, though.)

So my question is this: have you guys stuck with the easy-combat-for-those-who-want-it-easy route, or made even this aspect of the game more challenging (as it could be in U4 and even U5 until Magic Axes + Time Stop)? Just curious. Hope to download the game tomorrow.

Also, has anyone else been as bothered as I have by the exploitable nature of most Ultima combat? Going from the tighter U4 system to the exploits of 5-7, and then back to UO, which has the best MMO combat (to this day), and experiencing the greatness of all the series games outside of combat, one really has to wonder whether Garriott really needed to make the combat as easy as he did. . . .

Ah, sorry to take so long to respond … I've been away on vacation, and the rest of the team have been madly working on a patch which should be released soon. You can probably get faster answers to your questions if you post them on our forums, as most team members keep an eye on the posts there. However, I'll keep checking in here JIC questions come up.

We've tried to balance the spells so they are not overpowered and also put time limits on these types of spells, though some are stackable (but not all). Also, you'll find certain spells don't work well in all situations … so you have to use strategy when selecting spells.

In addition, we've taken advantage of a feature of the DS engine which allows the player to select a level of difficulty for combat (easy, normal, hard). This can be changed during the game, so you can adjust to your preference and playing style.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I've been playing the U6 project for a while now and I give it a thumbs up. I'm still not that far into the game however I am enjoying it as much as I enjoyed Lazarus. The entire game manual and the new journal are also fucking great. I was hesitant about having a fucking quest journal in my fucking Ultima, I now really like this addition. It was done very well, and has a shitload of info.

If you enjoyed Lazarus, you will most likely enjoy this as well. There are a few changes from the original (i.e., you CANNOT just whip out the Orb of the Moons and go any where you please in the beginning). As a long time Ultima fan this did not bother me at all. It was honestly refreshing to finally do something new (but still stuck to the setting and lore of VI).

Blackadder said:
Nothing wrong with the original. And at least IT has turn based combat....DS has a worse system than the Infinity Engine.

I recently am doing an Ultima IV/V/VI/VII (the original games) run and I am very tolerant of older game interfaces. I finished IV and V (the originals) and then went on to play VI. I honestly tried to play through VI (the original) and it just made me go FFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU! That interface is just fucking annoying and cumbersome. It's like playing an early Alpha build of VII.

Now if someone were to do a remake of VI in the Exult Engine I'd go blind from so much furious masturbation. (of note, someone on the Exult forums mentioned they are trying to do this, but are not making any promises it will get finished).

Anyways congrats to the U6 Team, fantastic game. Now get to work on IV so we now can have the entire Age of Enlightenment series complete! ;)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom