Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Way of the Samurai 3

Sisay

Liturgist
This was my second favorite console game of last year after Demon's Souls. There are 22 possible endings, though some differ very little from each other. You advance the story by witnessing events some of which you can alter to a degree. After a certain number of events the game puts you on a different end game path depending on what you've been doing earlier. The game is quite short, you can easily complete it in an hour if you know what you're doing. It's more about replaying the scenarios in a different way and seeing how things could've gone. The number of events is not that high and sadly you end up going through many of the same ones for the majority of the game when replaying.

Edit: In the third game time passes only when you go to an event. Events don't happen "in real time" with or without you like in the first two games.

The character design is quite good but there are some light weeaboo influences especially with the Ouka clan. Graphics are just fine if a bit dated. Sadly the performance suffers quite a bit in the massive end game fights (of some endings). The music seems to fit the period. Japanese voice track is included and you would have to be some sort of a fucking cretin not to use it.

The combat is adequate but nothing special. If you go in expecting Bushido Blade you will be severely disappointed. Combat is HP based unless you play on the instant kill mode mentioned by Aarne. The game should've been fully designed with one-shot kills (/serious wounds) in mind, though, and everything just pales in comparison to Bushido Blade. The worst part is attacking multiple enemies when everyone just stands around waiting while you go one on one with one of them.

There are very few RPG elements other than the choose your own adventure theme (or "C&C"). There is no character system but you can forge better swords and level them up to gain new moves. The moves are tied to the sword you are using, and each one also has a damage and a defence attribute. Your character keeps the swords and HP from playthrough to playthrough.

Anyone's time is certainly better spent watching Throne of Blood or Seppuku than playing this game, but overall it's quite an interesting mix of a Kurosawa-inspired choose your own adventure book and a feudal Japan fighting game.

Radisshu

Prophet
denizsi said:
Somebody is butthurt.

Just surprised, really. I should do an LP of the first game to show how much it sucks, but I don't know how to take screenshots through my PS2.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Well, finished the third game three times now, and I'm positively impressed at how different it can turn out. Two of the ones I had were variations of the same path, with the other going on longer AND everyone getting a happy ending (save for Fujimori), and the second one happened in a different location and didn't involve any except one of the major characters.

denizsi

Arcane
Radisshu said:
denizsi said:
Somebody is butthurt.

Just surprised, really. I should do an LP of the first game to show how much it sucks, but I don't know how to take screenshots through my PS2.

Uh, how about a PS2 emulator? Or that thingamajig you use to take your own pics that you upload to facebook.

Radisshu

Prophet
denizsi said:
Radisshu said:
denizsi said:
Somebody is butthurt.

Uh, how about a PS2 emulator? Or that thingamajig you use to take your own pics that you upload to facebook.

PS2 emulators and my computer do not get along well.

And using a webcam to take pictures of a TV screen would produce some shitty images.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
If someone would take pics of WotS3, we would totally need a Codex Troll version with Kota's happy face.

Radisshu said:
Seriously? People on the codex liked the first game?

Did you notice how EVERY SCENARIO ENDS WITH THE JAPANESE GOVERNMENT INVADING

Uh yeah. How your character can change the events leading up to, as well as the result of, the invasion is in reality the whole point of the game. The PC gets there about a couple days beforehand, max. The government had been watching the area for years, waiting until both sides had worn themselves out a bit, so I'm not really sure what you expected to be able to do. Even if you kill their government spy early on in one of the 'Town' paths, it still doesn't change the fact that the land looks ripe for the taking.

Radisshu

Prophet
Genma:TheDestroyer said:
Radisshu said:
Seriously? People on the codex liked the first game?

Did you notice how EVERY SCENARIO ENDS WITH THE JAPANESE GOVERNMENT INVADING

Uh yeah. How your character can change the events leading up to, as well as the result of, the invasion is in reality the whole point of the game. The PC gets there about a couple days beforehand, max. The government had been watching the area for years, waiting until both sides had worn themselves out a bit, so I'm not really sure what you expected to be able to do. Even if you kill their government spy early on in one of the 'Town' paths, it still doesn't change the fact that the land looks ripe for the taking.

Still, the writing is incredibly bad and full of facepalm moments. And the character design is awful. That afro samurai? Wtf? And the blonde chick with a rapier? The leader of the rebel group? Actually, the entire rebel group.

If you attack either of the two main groups early on, reconciling with them is as easy as going to their base of operations and asking to join. I think you can switch groups several times.

If you ARE part of the non-rebel group, you still won't be allowed into their base of operations if you go there at the wrong time. The guards won't acknowledge you as a member.

The corrupt policeman turns up with evil government soldiers and shoots NPC X, says something like "Ha ha ha! This was our plan all along!" Then, one of the evil government soldiers shoots the corrupt policeman, going "Mwa ha ha ha! We don't need you anymore!" For no fucking reason what so ever.

Gameplay mostly consists of awful, AWFUL (though easy) combat. The final chapter makes you fight identical enemies who keeps respawning for god knows how long.

Secretninja

Cipher
I seem to recall at least 2 ways you can beat the government.

I can't find this game anywhere around here, except at hastings and they still want 60 dollars for it, and fuck that. I guess I'll order off amazon.

Secretninja said:
I seem to recall at least 2 ways you can beat the government.

Only one truly leads to beating the government, the other branch from there has you *joining* them.

Here are the endings:

1. As part of the Kurou clan you destroy the Akadama, the government decides to just take the Iron Foundry from you, and you and the rest of the warriors are slaughtered while charging the lines.

2. If you join the Akadama you take over the Kurou's properties, and refuse to sell them to the Government. You find out out of Hyuga was actually a government spy, and the Government attacks. Everyone else falls, you and Kitcho die while holding back the army.

3. Town ending has you defending the citizens from the Kurou's bullying, Dona Dona and you steal a fortune from the Kurou clan's treasury, and the lot of you sneak out of town while the Government obliterates both the Kurou and the Akadama.

4. This one is a mesh between the Townie and Kurou path-lines. Certain events change, and characters that normally would have died (like Tsubohachi from the Kurou) join you in helping defend the villagers when the shit goes down. The group that leaves town is larger.

5. Through your actions you calm down the feud between the Akadama and the Kurou, while also lessening the effects of their battles on the town. When the Government attacks, everyone rises up and starts kicking their asses. The inhabitants of the Rokkotsu Pass keep the area.

6. Same basic events as #5, save for the last minute or two. When the general surrenders, take his offer and you join the army as it moves ahead. You help them win in the epilogue, and serve as governor over the newly conquered area....until sometime later, when a disgruntled samurai assassinates your ass.

Radisshu

Prophet
I don't think anyone answered this: is the writing and character design less shitty in the newer games? The afro samurai man and the guy with the net shirt.. well. They kind of broke the setting.

Secretninja

Cipher
I don't remember any awkward lollookatthatguy characters in 2, but I haven't played 3.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom