Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What do you hate most about Dragon Age.

Turjan

Arcane
Malachi said:
The big-bad at the end of the game is called an "Archdemon," and is in the form of a dragon.
So even dragons are "grimdark". Charming.

Elzair

Cipher
I did not mind the tower; I hated the ice palace and the Deep Roads far more.

I hated the generic, barebones world most.

I sort of liked the setting.

Yeah, you heard me. Magic as a two-bladed sword with strong drawbacks, strong monotheist religion with political implications and expansionist attitudes, the dwarven stuff, elves as Jews was also fairly well done even though it was ripped off the witcher. All in all there were some definite potential for interesting conflicts here.

Now, the execution of these ideas were shitty alright. The characters were mostly bland, the writing shitty and stuff and as a result the setting didn't realize the potential it had. Of course dialogues is BioWares absolutely worst aspect so I would expect no less but I think you are being a bit unfair to the DA setting. If described to you before you had played the game I think most of you would have liked it.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"even though it was ripped off the witcher."

No, it wasn't. There's nothing original in TW to begin with so it can't be ripped off of. FFS

What I hate most about Dragon Age is that it showed promise.

I enjoy shit for what shit is worth, I'll even give it the :thumbsup: but when something shows *promise* in concept but then fails spectacularly in implementation when it showed even the smidgen of something more... the only thing left inside is :x

What is Dragon Age? Let us see...

caeducan.jpg

comic-ot3-1.jpg

comic-ot3-2.jpg

comic-ot3-3.jpg

valentines-b-1.jpg

comic-desperation04.jpg

ME2___Aliens_in_Love_by_aimo.jpg

ooops...wrong game! I think..?

Multi-headed Cow

Wrex is the most prestigious of NPCs in Mass Effect 1. Hell, in Mass Effect 2 he's a fucking king.

Coyote

Arcane
Undead Phoenix said:
What I hate most about Dragon Age is that it showed promise.

It really did. When it was first announced, they honestly seemed dedicated to making an original world and if you visited the forum, there was (surprisingly) quite a bit of intelligent discussion going on about game mechanics, the economy, how the magic system ought to work, etc. with a high degree of participation from the devs. I stopped paying attention when it became clear that the game wouldn't be nearing completion for several years, and by the time I started hearing about it again, it had already taken its very disappointing turn.

Anyway, I'd have to say the worst part of Dragon Age was either (spoilered because I talk too much :oops:)

(a) the hordes of generic filler enemies you had to fight.

This is the bane of modern RPGs, rendering decent games mediocre and mediocre games utterly boring. It would acceptable if anyone ever bothered to try to make the encounters interesting (like the IWDs did) or made a combat system with depth (like KotC and JA2 did), but it's always just things like the orc caves in NWN2 or the deep roads in DA:O - pointless, boring combat thrown in as an obvious ploy to increase the game's length.

or

(b) in-game DLC advertisement.

I already disliked the concept of DLC; in theory, it could be used to help incline the gaming industry by squeezing extra profit from hits at a low production cost, giving developers leeway to pursue more interesting projects. That could take the form of niche games being produced in between AAA games or more unconventional content within the DLC itself (after all, they've already got a large customer base from the main product, of which - as we've seen with real DLC - a large portion is likely to buy the DLC regardless of its quality). Likewise, in theory DLC could give you just as much content for your money as the original game, while generating greater profit since it capitalizes upon existing resources.

In practice, it was obvious from the moment the concept was introduced that it would be used by cynical/savvy businessmen types to nickel-and-dime customers with ridiculously-overpriced shit like Oblivion's horse armor (paying 1/25th of the cost of the game for two extra art assets? FFS) and that it would encourage withholding parts of the finished product to squeeze more money out of customers without investing any extra resources into it. Day-one DLC, which makes the latter practice so transparent that I would have thought even the brainless masses might hesitate before eating it up, is bad enough. But playing a game and having an NPC break the fourth wall to ask me to pay for shit so that I can do some boring-ass quest for him makes me :x like nothing else the gaming industry has done in years.

...So yeah, I guess I'd have to go with the DLC bullshit, even if it was a much smaller portion of the game than the filler combat.

Edit: That raging troll surrounded by a sea of darkness seems like a fitting metaphor for the Codex as a whole.

The Wizard

Educated
Blackadder said:
i hate you. i hate you so much.

Serious_Business said:
But yeah - Dragon Age. The game is called fucking Dragon Age. Think about that for a moment. I don't really think my hate needs to be more articulated than that, if you have an ounce of good taste to understand my feeling here. Dragon. Age. This is the game you want to play? Dragon Age. I play Dragon Age. I'm a huge faggot.
oh shit. :lol:

The Wizard said:
Blackadder said:

Serious_Business said:
But yeah - Dragon Age. The game is called fucking Dragon Age. Think about that for a moment. I don't really think my hate needs to be more articulated than that, if you have an ounce of good taste to understand my feeling here. Dragon. Age. This is the game you want to play? Dragon Age. I play Dragon Age. I'm a huge faggot.

Yes, as I was saying, the state of CR.....

DA___Lady_Aeducan__s_Soapbox_1_by_aimo.jpg

comic-desperation06.jpg

DA___Dwarven_Flirtations_by_aimo.jpg

DA___Lady_Aeducan__s_Soapbox_3_by_aimo.jpg

PSC___Alistair_and_Garrus_by_aimo.jpg

PSC___Alistair_and_Mahariel_2_by_aimo.jpg

Edit: Just realised I might be turning Volourn on with these pictures...terribly sorry about that. It must be such a wonderful game by the look of it though!

Multi-headed Cow

At least it's just one person who's very prolific. Easy to purge.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Blackadder said:
The Wizard said:
Blackadder said:

Serious_Business said:

Yes, as I was saying, the state of CR.....

DA___Lady_Aeducan__s_Soapbox_1_by_aimo.jpg

comic-desperation06.jpg

DA___Dwarven_Flirtations_by_aimo.jpg

DA___Lady_Aeducan__s_Soapbox_3_by_aimo.jpg

PSC___Alistair_and_Garrus_by_aimo.jpg

PSC___Alistair_and_Mahariel_2_by_aimo.jpg

Edit: Just realised I might be turning Volourn on with these pictures...terribly sorry about that. It must be such a wonderful game by the look of it though!

WTF IS THIS GAY ANIME DARGON AGE CRAP!?!?

:rage:

The Wizard

Educated
Blackadder said:
NO.MOUTH.NEED.SCREAM.

01001110 01001111 01001111 01001111 01001111 01001111 01001111 01001111 01001111 01001111 01001111 01001111 01001111 01001111 01001111 01001111 01001111 01001111

Risine

Liturgist
completely outdated graphics, clearly no artistic direction, "outdoors" areas which are just f#@g corridors.
Death system. And of course again, as always, the camera system.
Also, selling that as a whole new / original / epic fantasy world.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom