Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So... I have read a Vault 15 design document the other day..

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Fascinating stuff.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
It's in a book about RPG design - Swords & Circuitry: A Designer's Guide to Computer Role-Playing Games. Yes, I bought a 500 page book only to be able to read a 7 page design document.

Interesting stuff:
Radscorpion may appear only in the night.

It was possible to fall down ladders with a failed Dexterity roll, characters with fear of darkness would have to do Will rolls to go down. Characters with a fear of height would get a negative modifier to the roll.

Level1:
There are additional messages and rolls for the characters that fear darkness.

All the comments about the functions of various rooms were displayed after passing an Area Knowledge (Vault) tests.

Main entrance tunnel caved-in due to natural reasons (the PC will determine that the collapse looks natural and no explosives were used after passing an IQ test).

Airlock was opened (not destroyed)

There are six flares in a compartment in the Airlock.

There's one mole rat near the airlock (I won't list ordinary rats, but they are there)

There are two "stimpatches" in a wall container in the Emergency Medical Lab. There's another wall container that is empty.

Elevators don't work - there are ladders and the character needs to climb up them (which makes much more sense than descending on a rope - in Vault 13 Command Centre is on the top). It's possible to fall down with a failed Dexterity test - putting a flare at the base of the ladder makes the test easier. A character with Intuition stat that passes an IQ test will get a hint about it.

Level2:
There's a room with a pile of bones on level 1 - PC may notice a medi-kit under a bed after a passed Vision test.
In another room there's an empty opened wall container - a box of 10mm JHP ammo lies on the floor below that container.

A room farthest south has a chair that faces an empty wall. PC may notice that there's a key in a crack of that chair after passing a one time Vision test when entering the room.

Level3:
There are 3 mole-rats in a Meeting Room.
There's a tunnel in the wall through which rats enter the Vault which can be noticed after passing a Vision test. Blowing it up stops rats from gradually reappearing when the player leaves the vault and gives the PC one Character Point.

There's a mole rat and a single locked cabinet in the Storage room. It can be opened with a key from the living quarters. It contains four 10mm AP and four 10mm JHP ammo boxes.
There's an Uzi hidden behind a pile of rubble. Passing an Area Knowledge (Vault) test gives a hint about it to player.

Learning that removing the rubble that buried the way to the Command Centre is impossible requires passing an IQ test.
Determining that the whole Command Centre itself is buried requires a critical success at that test.
Two large mole rats guard the rubble.

It's possible to attempt to repair computers in the Central Core - trying to do it shows that the internal hardware has melted due to extreme heat and pressure. There are two mole rats in the room.
There's a holodisk with a log entry on the floor. It contains an information that the water-processing chip of Vault-15 has failed in the 2067 (??!!! even the old Vault 13: A GURPS Post-Nuclear Adventure timeline has the nuclear war starting in 2077) and that the Vault was abandoned when the water reserves reached 2%.
There was some accident when powering down the Vault which caused the log to end abruptly.

There's nothing of value left in the library which is communicated to player when PC passes a Vision test.

There's a lot of mole rats there O_o .

I like how they thought about stuff like fear of heigh and fear of darkness and how the stats and skills can give hints about where to find loot.
Also, I love the idea of going to another Vault to find a water chip only to discover that its water chip stopped working a long time before.

J1M

Arcane
A cool Fallout spinoff: an RPG that takes place entirely inside a Vault.

Self-Ejected

Kosmonaut

Lost in Space
Awor Szurkrarz said:
It's in a book about RPG design - Swords & Circuitry: A Designer's Guide to Computer Role-Playing Games. Yes, I bought a 500 page book only to be able to read a 7 page design document.
I own this book too. :salute:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom