Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Diablo III will have LOD's "wagnerian" music

DaveO

Erudite
About the only piece of memorable music from D2 would be the Act 5 siege music for Harrogath.

1eyedking

Erudite

kanenas

Educated
I pride myself for not playing Diablo,Diablo 2 , Sacred , Sacred 2 , XXXX siege , Sacred , Sacred 2, Titan Quest and all the other inane arcade arpeegees that polluted the PC game market

1eyedking

Erudite
kanenas said:
I pride myself for not playing Diablo,Diablo 2 , Sacred , Sacred 2 , XXXX siege , Sacred , Sacred 2, Titan Quest and all the other inane arcade arpeegees that polluted the PC game market
Except the first two are actually good games on their own accord.

DriacKin

Arbiter
BethesdaLove said:
We prefer our music of a more cereberal nature.
Fixed, and no, I want music that sounds according to the game.

Agreed. But that does make me wonder: Is this style of music going to fit well with the more cartoony visual style?

1eyedking

Erudite
DriacKin said:
BethesdaLove said:
We prefer our music of a more cereberal nature.
Fixed, and no, I want music that sounds according to the game.

Agreed. But that does make me wonder: Is this style of music going to fit well with the more cartoony visual style?
Cartoons did some classical stuff on them, but they weren't of the sort you find in Diablo II.

Also the term wagnerian is just wrong because Wagner wasn't so shitty. I'll take the time to clarify I didn't choose it, but rather one of the class so respected here: a game journo.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
1eyedking said:
Babies crying, you say? I raise you frightened gasps.
:rage: beat me to it.

I love that piece. It doesn't really stand to outside listening but it fits the caves perfectly. I had the music on pretty low volume while playing, and that theme in the background, almost at the edge of hearing, was combining with the game's general atmosphere to erode my nerves.

trym88

Scholar
Forget about soundtracks, you all forgot what IS and EVER WILL BE the BEST

-------> THERE IT GOES <-----------

Battle_net_2_0_Diii_art.jpg

*clap* *clap* *applause* *clap* *clap*

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
1eyedking said:

Nice. I wonder why thy couldn't hire this guy again? He's already attempted to relieve his glory days with Torchlight, i'm pretty sure Blizzard could have gave him an offer he couldn't refuse.

Lyric Suite said:
1eyedking said:

Nice. I wonder why thy couldn't hire this guy again? He's already attempted to relieve his glory days with Torchlight, i'm pretty sure Blizzard could have gave him an offer he couldn't refuse.
I have no idea as to why it's so difficult to get good atmospheric game music nowadays when pretty much every game back in the day had a good soundtrack.

Defcon - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJlsQ32xH1o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuBQZvMq ... re=related

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Satori said:
I have no idea as to why it's so difficult to get good atmospheric game music nowadays when pretty much every game back in the day had a good soundtrack.

Just the other day i was trying to replay Master of Orion and realized just how much the music contributed to the atmosphere. Fuck i know why everything has to be so shitty today. And i can't even blame womyn. :(

Multi-headed Cow

Lyric Suite said:
1eyedking said:

I actually know the answer to this, read an interview with him somewhere. Blizzard lost him because they wanted to keep him at their offices at all times. As in, he would show up weekdays to go to work at Blizzard HQ. He didn't like that, and Runic lets him do most/some of his work at home (Which since music like that is mostly a one man show while it's being made why the fuck not) so even though they presumably pay him less than Blizzard would he preferred the freedom and easy schedule. Plus of course Runic is made up of guys he knew and worked with at Blizzard anyway so it's not like it was much of a jump.

The Exar

Liturgist
:decline:

Blizzard are becoming so mainstream it's just unbearable. Instead of looking for inspiration in Diablo 1, where every piece of sound and music perfectly fitted the demonic atmosphere of the game, now they are developing a rainbow, kid-friendly arcade hack and slash. One of my favorite franchises is going down it seems...

Edit: The Diablo 1 music had a lot of tension, it made you feel disturbed and it had a specific mystical feel to it. That Tristram tune was a masterpiece. On the other hand, I can't remember any of the Diablo 2 music.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom