Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate is boring

The Exar

Liturgist
Though BG1 was a good game for its time, BG2 is the game that will make the Top 10 Classic Games for years to come.

laclongquan

Arcane
Rosh? I dont know, the guy is like Emotional Vampire with a little more venom and lots more sophisticated. Add in power of mod and it's not safe to bait him.

Unmod, of course, he sound ideal troll-bait.

relootz

Scholar
The Exar said:
Though BG1 was a good game for its time, BG2 is the game that will make the Top 10 Classic Games for years to come.

BG2 just did (almost) everything better then BG. From a good game to a classic, it was the age of incline :salute:. Not often does it happen that the sequel is vastly better then its predecessor.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Spellcaster said:
The fact is that BG1 is one of those games that is good, but not stellar - so it lies in that particular area of "games to bash p. hard so you'll achieve elitist&edgy status".
No. People bash BG1 because it gives a lot of reasons to bash it not because it gives any "elitist&edgy" status. Anyway, why the fuck would anyone want such status?

It's easy to hate BG1 when one was around when Fallout 1/2 came out, when one saw the next-gen stuff like beautiful gore animations, stat-based dialogues, non-linearity, character descriptions, object descriptions, talking heads, multiple solutions for important quests, aimed shots with critical hits and critical hit descriptions.
It was the new shit back then, next gen, etc.
I actually expected that this stuff is here to stay and that the future is going to be built on it and improved.

And then BG1 came out and cancelled it all.

Spellcaster said:
The funny part is, the same people who do this are the ones that keep raging against journalists that aren't able to write a middle ground review.
I'd give it 4/10. I actually quit playing it out of boredom in 1/3 of the game, before I discovered modding, so it doesn't exactly make it 5/10 as stuff like that happens to me really rarely.
Seriously, what's the reason to play BG1 beyond graphics and music?
Story? Nah, there are a lot of better stories in books and it's linear, so it doesn't take advantage of the medium.
Combat? I'd rather play a beat em up. Or a wargame. Or a flight simulator. Or a FPS. Or a RPG where someone actually tried to make decent combat like ToEE or ADOM.
Autopilot attacks, homing non-magical projectiles, lack of offence/defence settings, badly implemented spell effects like the mirror image (one of the most widely used defensive spells - protects from damage, even area damage but not from effects of poisoned/paralyzing/weakening/etc. weapons despite that it protects from damage by making the attacker hit an illusion), lack of dynamism, etc. make it a really weak contender against other combat games.
Character generation and development? Fallout did it a lot better before.
Characters? Again, books offer much deeper characters.

One thing that I actually liked about BG1 beyond graphics and music is because people didn't like that PC walked into their houses without invitation. I'd like to see something like that in other cRPGs.

CrimHead

Scholar
Awor Szurkrarz said:
Characters? Again, books offer much deeper characters

Stupid argument. Chess offers much deeper strategy, Calculus offers much deeper challenge, Football requires much deeper skill ect. ect. We aren't talking about books, or movies, or painting, or any other medium, we're talking about video games.

Yggdrasil

Educated
CrimHead said:
Awor Szurkrarz said:
Characters? Again, books offer much deeper characters

Stupid argument. Chess offers much deeper strategy, Calculus offers much deeper challenge, Football requires much deeper skill ect. ect. We aren't talking about books, or movies, or painting, or any other medium, we're talking about video games.

To be honest your argument does not hold because there also is a lot of games with better characters and story.

BG1 is average. There is little reason to play BG1 today - there have been plenty of better choices you can choose when looking back at the golden age of CRPGs.

(I still regret those 20+ bucks I spent on a pirated BG 5 disc set back those days. :oops: It was quite a lot of money then.)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom