Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Making The Cut: Jagged Alliance Online

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I only played JA1, somehow JA2 went by me, even though I have its CD that was attached to one gaming mag and I don't really care that much about the franchise, but I'm still outraged about this news.

zeitgeist

Magister
SoupNazi said:
You move in real-time until you encounter a combat scenario.
I see "real time action" on the list and suddenly a great black cloud overshadows my mind, and all I can see is JA2 Diablo style with click-to-attack. I mean c'mon, it can't be the best case scenario, when is it ever.

Phelot

Arcane
SoupNazi said:
What? Did you guys even play Jagged Alliance? You move in real-time until you encounter a combat scenario. I'm pretty sure that's what they mean... also I still believe that this is just a cover and in reality they're making JA3. It has to be. This can't be true!!

Yeah but it's the:

which are a mixture of turn-based battles and real-time action.

That sounds retarded. What does that mean "real time action"

Maybe it's just retarded PR, but they should try and be more clear. Anyways it's a MMO so who cares I guess.

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
Fire_Window_Fall.gif

m_s0

Arcane
Darth Roxor said:
I only played JA1, somehow JA2 went by me, even though I have its CD that was attached to one gaming mag and I don't really care that much about the franchise, but I'm still outraged about this news.
CDA? Ah, fantastic game support by TopWare: patch 1.05 was the last they bothered to release for the Polish version, the translation is horribly low-budget, although they didn't touch the voices like CD-Projekt did for the expansion pack, but it was released basically for free in 1999, considering the usual game pricing back then. Good times. Unless the nostalgia factor is involved, get the English version, patch it to 1.07, it's worth it. A much better game than the first, less rough around the edges

JA Online = :x

ALT267

Novice
Come on guys. Give it a chance. How do you know a realtime JA MMO will be crap before you play it? Fallot 3 turned out pretty good after all. So much bitching on this site.

:D

Redeye

Arcane
What if Fonline had been made with the FoT engine?

Would it be better or worse than JA-Online?

Why?

Discuss!

Twinkle

Liturgist
These idiots don't get that JA is no fucking Farmville, has really limited appeal and no multiplayer history to speak of. Flop is almost guaranteed. Fuck why are publishers that retarded?

SharkClub

Prophet
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Redeye said:
What if Fonline had been made with the FoT engine?

Would it be better or worse than JA-Online?
Dunno, JA Online is not even out yet so there's nothing to really compare.

FOnline on the Tactics engine would have been pretty sweet though.

denizsi

Arcane
Someday, I'm gonna be a billionaire and buy all the rights to Diablo, Starcraft, Warcraft, TES, FIFA and whatnot and turn all of them into TB games, some of them 4X. I'll also make them very shitty on purpose.

denizsi said:
Someday, I'm gonna be a billionaire and buy all the rights to Diablo, Starcraft, Warcraft, TES, FIFA and whatnot and turn all of them into TB games, some of them 4X. I'll also make them very shitty on purpose.

Love the idea, but I think your target is off, given that Blizz is pretty much the only company still making modern sequels to old licences that are actually pretty true to the original gameplay (rather than, say, making D3 a first-person oblivion clone, or starcraft 2 an ultra-zoomed-in third person squad shooter - you fucking well know that most companies would these days).

I'd suggest buying the rights to Halo, T.E.S., Modern Warfare, classical COD, etc and turning them all into....turn-based platformers. That would be a combination almost as unholy as what's been churned out lately. Maybe add mandatory resource gathering and management. I'm thinking compulsary sleeping and eating. But turn based, so you have to click through each sleep cycle and jaw movement.

Bitcher

Educated
I dont see how RTwP would work in an MMO so I figure turn-based combat is pretty much a given. And what is so bad in two teams of mercs duking it out on-line? I think it sounds quite interesting, actually. I mean, A.I. will never be as challenging as a human and so on. Also, creating alliances, lending mercs and such features may lead to some nice scenarios as long as you can stab them in the back as well (hopefully PvP means something more than "consensual encounters" in this case, although I do have some doubts about it).
Honestly there seems to be much rage here, which I dont quite get (apart from the fact, that its :rpgcodex: , that is). If not for my complete disinterest in MMOs I would be quite thrilled. I fail to see, how such concept could be considered taking a dump on the franchise (which I did have some contact with) if done well.

Bitcher said:
I dont see how RTwP would work in an MMO so I figure turn-based combat is pretty much a given. And what is so bad in two teams of mercs duking it out on-line? I think it sounds quite interesting, actually. I mean, A.I. will never be as challenging as a human and so on. Also, creating alliances, lending mercs and such features may lead to some nice scenarios as long as you can stab them in the back as well (hopefully PvP means something more than "consensual encounters" in this case, although I do have some doubts about it).
Honestly there seems to be much rage here, which I dont quite get (apart from the fact, that its :rpgcodex: , that is). If not for my complete disinterest in MMOs I would be quite thrilled. I fail to see, how such concept could be considered taking a dump on the franchise (which I did have some contact with) if done well.

Well, general hatred of MMOs aside, I think the skepticism is more due it being browser based than it being an MMO. Browser based gaming has a history of being cheap money-traps - aka Farmville clones, with a few twists here and there. Certainly it seems dubious that you could make a game of the depth of JA2, let alone a multiplayer JA2, to run in a web browser, without a standalone engine.

Bitcher

Educated
Well, if it turns out to be just some low budget money-grabbing scheme, as you imply, then why give a fuck at all? It wont be "AAA gaem of teh year" like F3ilout, morons wont be drooling about it all over the net, "serious journalists" wont be making fan of oldschool gamers, stating that its the new shit and we should move on. So we could just shrug, pretend this abomination doesnt exist and we shouldnt have any problems with any of it. Instead people whine like it were the end of the world and gaming was doomed, which I could understand, if there was talk about a major (dumbed-down) release.
BTW: Was it said anywhere that Jagged Alliance 3D is cancelled or something?

Elzair

Cipher
SoupNazi, you must like to swim in Egypt.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom