Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Fight or Flight in The Witcher 2

Jason

chasing a bee
Tags: CD Projekt; Witcher 2, The

<p>Gamespot is next in line to deliver <a href="http://gamescom.gamespot.com/story/6274227/the-witcher-2-assassins-of-kings-impressions" target="_blank">their impressions</a> of <strong>The Witcher 2</strong>.</p>
<blockquote>It was time for our demo to showcase some of the choices available to players. Rather than simply provide a set story and ask players to follow the bouncing ball, we were given a first-hand look at how the game will branch as a result of your choices. A two-PC set-up had one guide take the combat route to escape the prison, while the other snuck around in the shadows, blowing out fire torches illuminating the corridors and stealthily knocking guards unconscious. The first path led us to a woman being tortured, and after springing to her defense to confronted her attackers, we opened up additional dialogue with her offering optional help from her associates. Path two had us locate the woman's missing son and escape the prison before burning it to the ground. Different choices will determine whether you walk the worn path to the front door, scamper around underground in hidden passages, or accept NPC assistance to use secret exits.<br /><br />The final part of our demo showcased a boss fight in an open space with a huge elemental field commander named Draug. The three-phase fight included dodging the flaming arrows of his archer minions, running to safety as tornados destroyed objects on the battlefield, and a meteor shower that charred the earth.</blockquote>
<p><br />Glad to see Drog has a new alt already.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.gamespot.com">Gamespot</a></p>

xemous

Arcane
lol thats stupid

everything has to be completely balanced these days, regardless of the choice u made, u get either to save A or B, but not save AB with one choice and nothing with the other, because the faggot player will feel sad and reload the game to get the best outcome

rpgs just arent anymore

/edit

so the idiot reason she helps u is because u took the combat route to even it out agaist the guards, well thats just fucking super

the deepening choice boils to "do u want to work hard 10x to sneak, or work hard 10x to attack" instead of
do u want to work 10x hard to sneak and get out alive or work 20x hard to attack and save a women and her son from torture regardless of rewards

thats would be proper and interesting

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I was watching a TW2 presentation and the devs proudly announced that the combat system still retains the same depth as the first Witcher had.

:retarded:

Erebus

Arcane
Jason said:
The final part of our demo showcased a boss fight in an open space with a huge elemental field commander named Draug. The three-phase fight included dodging the flaming arrows of his archer minions, running to safety as tornados destroyed objects on the battlefield, and a meteor shower that charred the earth.

This sounds disturbingly WoW-like.

yes plz

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
A video of that Draug battle. Looks... okay, but I've always preferred boss battles to be difficult encounters that test my character's abilities rather than my ability to dodge crap.

EDIT:
Here's a slightly better quality one.

Phelot

Arcane
Well it's fucking great that I already know what will happen and what all my choices are. Wouldn't want to find out on my own.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Erebus said:
Jason said:
The final part of our demo showcased a boss fight in an open space with a huge elemental field commander named Draug. The three-phase fight included dodging the flaming arrows of his archer minions, running to safety as tornados destroyed objects on the battlefield, and a meteor shower that charred the earth.

This sounds disturbingly WoW-like.

I would kill to have WoW-level fights in my singleplayer RPGs. Yes, it's just a boss following set scripts, but damn they're good, challenging scripts.

ricolikesrice

Arcane
The Witcher has heart, it has sou.... eww fuck it. Actually colour me interested in this sequel, i ve been to gamescom on saturday where i unfortunately only saw a trailer of TW2, but after reading up some informations on my favourite enemy (mind you i ve always thought/said part I was a good game, just a really shit/no RPG and stand by that.... ) it sounds like its shaping up to be a great game (maybe even more of a RPG this time around). a proper stealth system is something that d make both TW and Mass Effect much better games, nice that at least one of them realized it - now i just hope the implementation is good. also good to hear they re improving the abysmal combat system and offering some more equipment choice. also it pleases the graphicswhore in me where dragon age 1 (and apparently 2) look like shit in addition to BEING/turning out shit.

Lesifoere said:
I would kill to have WoW-level fights in my singleplayer RPGs.

this.... unless they somehow completely changed the WOW combat system in the last years... but what i played before i quit was miles above the crap we see in oblivion or ANY other single player RPG (read: i m obviously talking about RPGs where you control ONE character, not party-based ones that are obviously best left turnbased...).

if someone told me a few days ago i d be looking most forward to Guildwars 2 and Twitcher 2 after gamescom i ve probably called him crazy.....

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom