Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dungeon Siege III Screenshots

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
The ONLY thing going for Dungeon Siege III that has me mildly interested, is that Mask of the Betrayer Creative Lead George Ziets is attached to this project.

Could he pull off another Mask of the Betrayer? I doubt it, but this one fact has me somewhat interested in it. Other than it will be shitty next gen bloom pop a mole etc etc...

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
JarlFrank said:
[

At least there's no pic of chainmail bikinis (yet). And I guess I'm the only one who thinks that full plate armor looks even sexier than those, either.

Hey Jarl, aren't you forgetting that chainmail bikinis was what you were clamoring for with your early 80's Swords and Sorcery/Conan wish for an RPG setting? A bit hypocritical to criticize Obsidian even if they did this, right?

Radisshu

Prophet
Jaesun said:
The ONLY thing going for Dungeon Siege III that has me mildly interested, is that Mask of the Betrayer Creative Lead George Ziets is attached to this project.

Could he pull off another Mask of the Betrayer? I doubt it, but this one fact has me somewhat interested in it. Other than it will be shitty next gen bloom pop a mole etc etc...
I'm just hoping for a decent Icewind Dale-ish dungeon crawler. Do you create your entire party in the first Dungeon Siege games? That's really what motivates me to play crawlers, building my own party.

Phelot

Arcane
Radisshu said:
Jaesun said:

I'm just hoping for a decent Icewind Dale-ish dungeon crawler. Do you create your entire party in the first Dungeon Siege games? That's really what motivates me to play crawlers, building my own party.

Nope, just your main character, then you recruit other characters.

Whipporowill

Erudite
phelot said:
Radisshu said:
Jaesun said:

Nope, just your main character, then you recruit other characters.

In the first game you pick your gender and apperance, how's that for character creation? If you play the mp map, you get the choice of three races (human, dwarf, skeleton for some odd reason). The second game added some more classlike mechanics, don't recall if that affected char creation very much - and yes, you still start off alone.

I find myself wondering what Obsidian will do, considering one of their schticks is adding colourful companions. Don't make much sense having those if the game is mp/coop oriented as they'd be wasted if they're "optional". Anything head about this?

catfood

AGAIN
Screens look great, I don't know what everyone is bitching about, graphics aren't going to be the problem with this game. The thing is Obsidian fails exactly at Dungeon Siege's strengths: an optimized game engine, and a friendly camera and control scheme. So basically instead of having a game that runs well and is easy to control, we are going to get a game that won't run fludly even on high end system and with NWN2 camera, plus MAYBE, just maybe, an interesting storyline courtesy of this Zeits fellow.

You know the first game was extremely basic as Whirlpool pointed out, bu in the second game they added more races and also talent trees for the various classes copied from Diablo 2, as well as some other copied features like town portals and waypoints. Hopefully Obsidian are going to try and expand on that at least.

MetalCraze

Arcane
I like how you don't talk about the only thing DS is all about - combat.

Shitty graphics, crappy engine and a friendly camera won't be main problems.

Dungeon Siege - a hack'n'slash. A game that is all about combat... is given to a developer which can only do shit combat. And you care about some story?

As someone said Obsidian is where franchises go to die.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Skyway, having no clue as usual.

NWN2 > NWN1
Kotor 2 > Kotor 1

NV > F3 (not really a big feat)

DS3 > DS1/2 (not really a big feat either).

So what exactly do you mean "franchises die with Obsidian"?

And for the record, George Ziets, the lead fucking writer of the excellent MotB, is also the lead writer on DS3.

deus101

Never LET ME into a tattoo parlor!
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
Obsidian is the only company left that actually tries to deliver decent RPG gameplay.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Morgoth said:
NWN2 OC and SOZ sucked harder than NWN SoU, sorry.
DS3 also can't be better than DS1/2 simply because the combat will be much much worse. And it's all about combat.
NV = F3. I can't see any difference between them. Same shit, one more dev logo in the intro.

And for the record, George Ziets, the lead fucking writer of the excellent MotB, is also the lead writer on DS3.
And it's a waste. I don't need a story in a hack'n'slash out of all things. I want good gameplay for once.

deus101 said:
Obsidian is the only company left that actually tries to deliver decent RPG gameplay.

You mean shit that was SoZ which had no gameplay?
Or Alpha Protocol which is a shooter?
Or Aliens shooter which is a shooter that was a 1:1 clone of ME? (and thankfully never made it)
Or New Vegas which is a shooter?
And DS3 which is hack'n'slash?

Wow so many RPGs in the past 3 years it hurts

Radisshu

Prophet
MetalCraze said:
Morgoth said:
NWN2 OC and SOZ sucked harder than NWN SoU, sorry.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

SoU is a piece of shit campaign, it only looks relatively good compared to the even more awful NWN OC.

deus101

We've been over this....just because its not a purebred RPG its can still have elements that can be rightfully called...

RPG ELEMENTS!

Again...its all about implementation....I have plenty of gripes about Mass Effect and Bioshock in regards to what AAA titles are produced that promises RPG, you should listen to what the industry heads and speculators in the industry defines as a RPG these days, THOSE are people you should rant at.

But Obsidian is trying to bypass the "casual gamers" loads atleast...for that you should thank them for.

oh fuck this...i need to write collision detection...

MetalCraze

Arcane
RPG ELEMENTS!
RPG ELEMENTS! like shooting the shit out of your enemies for 90% of game time just like in any other shooter on the market and playing minigames.

But Obsidian is trying to bypass the "casual gamers" loads atleast...for that you should thank them for.
Yeah they were dumbing down AP to the amoeba level and now making an addon to Failout 3 for the hardcore

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Lesifoere said:
Pegultagol said:
obsidian.jpg

Truth in advertisement!

:thumbsup:

Let's end this thread here, because arguing which of the two NWN OCs is the shittier, is really retarded.

deus101

Spellcaster said:
Except that playing F:NV to pose as a hardcore gamer is like ordering milk in a dirty glass at a western saloon
I don't give a shit about the hardcore gamer label either, for some reason that implies Counter Strike lamers or starcraft fanatics.

However what i do care about is getting rid of the "accessibility mentality" for some reason they decided to apply in games.

deus101

MetalCraze said:
RPG ELEMENTS!
RPG ELEMENTS! like shooting the shit out of your enemies for 90% of game time just like in any other shooter on the market and playing minigames.

That's true for Bioshock, Fallout 3 and the upcoming deus ex 3.

An FPSRPG that claims to offer character development(where you in theory should have choices on different gameplay mechanics) should at least make it so that you're not automatically or have to be Walt Whitman.

deus101

MetalCraze said:
Except Failout 3 New Vegas is all about the accessibility mentality. It's just another Oblivion

I would say with Bethesda did that deed.

Obsidian will at least try to not make you into a walking warehouse.

deus101

Clockwork Knight said:
deus101 said:
some reason

$
:x

However i do not think shit like cover system or automatic health regen really matters.
The jews are trying to draw in the fabled "Casual gamers", but when obviously the time factor isnt an issue since Dragons Age did sell and that is a HUGE timewaster.

The "accessibility stunts" doesn't really matter and you butcher the gameplay needlessly.

But still...now everyone figured "PEOPLE WANT AN "EPIC STORYLINE WITH BOOLEAN CHOICES AND CONSEQUENCES AND WITH VIRTUAL FUCK BUDDIES".

And sooner or later they realise that the pointless grind they made because they wanted to simplify the gameplay, gets in the way for the "EPIC DATING GAME".

So they remove that....

Future OVERHYPED SEQUEL OF A RAPED CLASSIC tm will be a "DARK BROODING EPIC" with the gameplay complexities of a hentai game.

....THIS IS WHY FREEMARKET DOSENT WORK!!!

...and to think i started out trying to make an optimistic post.

Twinkle

Liturgist
Morgoth said:

Only total tard gives a fuck about writing in a generic co-op hack'n'slash.

ghostdog said:
Let's end this thread here, because arguing which of the two NWN OCs is the shittier, is really retarded.

Word.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Twinkle said:
Only total tard gives a fuck about writing in a generic co-op hack'n'slash.
There are choices though and they're claiming each one will have immediate, mid-term, and long-term consequences. I'll believe it when I see it (MotB is the only reason I'm not dismissing it as narrative fluff), but that's important for a lot of people here for whatever reasons.

deus101

MetalCraze said:
deus101 said:
Obsidian will at least try to not make you into a walking warehouse.
That certainly redeems the whole game!

I never said it did, but its an improvement.

For me...RPG's are as good as the amounts of different types of limits and challenges.(stats are there first and foremost to define limits)
The more complex the better, as long as they are consistent.

So yeah....its a +1 Fallout 3.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom