Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview The Witcher 2 is not an Action RPG

Jason

chasing a bee
Tags: CD Projekt; Witcher 2, The

<p>Tomasz Gop of CD Projekt RED <a href="http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/6042/working_in_a_dying_genre_on_a_.php" target="_blank">explained to Gamasutra</a> what <a href="http://www.thewitcher.com/" target="_blank"><strong>The Witcher 2</strong></a> is and isn't.</p>
<blockquote>With that in mind, what are your main objectives in developing The Witcher 2?<br /><br />TG: The most important thing that we know is that people still believe good hardcore RPGs are playable. People want to play these. There's one misconception many people have... This is not "action RPG," this is not "slasher RPG." We're trying to really make a solid RPG. We're not trying to make up genres. This is the main goal: telling a story. We're trying to have story, plot, characters, cinematic sequences, and all of that. That was the main reason to rewrite the engine and to make The Witcher 2.<br /><br />It's interesting you say that about RPG versus action RPG, because The Witcher does have a reputation for having quite a bit of direct-control combat.<br /><br />TG: Combat plays a big role because [protagonist Geralt] is a Witcher. He's a master swordsman. But still, if there is any feature that we put in front of all the rest in The Witcher, it's definitely the story.</blockquote>
<p>&nbsp;</p>

KalosKagathos

Learned
I demand that RPGCodex starts covering Street Fighter games. I really liked the story of Street Fighter II (that Guile dude looking for his missing bro Charlie is some seriously emotionally engaging stuff), which, IMO, is enough for the game to be considered an RPG. Not an "action RPG" (those have shitty stories), mind you, but a real RPG.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
So.. they are now flaT out lying? Beautiful. TW2 is an Action RPG. Whether you like it or hate it, it is an Action RPG. It should be pointed out that being called an Action RPG is not an insult but a simple classificication. Sounds like they are being really defensive. LMFAO

Phelot

Arcane
Volourn said:
So.. they are now flaT out lying? Beautiful. TW2 is an Action RPG. Whether you like it or hate it, it is an Action RPG. It should be pointed out that being called an Action RPG is not an insult but a simple classificication. Sounds like they are being really defensive. LMFAO

I agree!

I don't get why it's suddenly so horrible to make an action RPG. Twitcher wasn't a "hardcore RPG" and that's OK.

zeitgeist

Magister
Well, claiming your game is something it's not, or isn't something it is, gives you more leeway with PR statements, especially regarding its faults. Horrible combat? Doesn't matter, it's not an action RPG, why would we pay attention to the combat. Horrible writing? But it has 30+ skills and an almost open world, the focus is in customizing your character. Horrible visuals? Oh come on, it's a story-based game, can't you people read. And so on.

You just need to be slippery enough not to repeat any statements about the game more than a few times, so that it doesn't get pegged as a certain definable type that couldn't defy criticism.

Imbecile

Arbiter
Its a tough one for them. Their main sales base is mostly "teh hardcore" who have a tendency to look down on action rpgs for some reason. So, while I can sympathize, they are still talking shite.

Jim Cojones

Prophet
I'm sure he believes that The Witcher is a "pure", "hardcore" RPG - "RPGs are all about stories" is a pretty popular opinion in Poland after all. He simply doesn't have much idea about RPGs.

bonescraper

Volourn said:
It should be pointed out that being called an Action RPG is not an insult but a simple classificication. Sounds like they are being really defensive. LMFAO
It's an insult when you put games like Diablo, Sacred and Torchlight in the same bag as Risen, Divinity, The Witcher or your beloved Bioturds. Anyways, today we don't have any "hardcore RPG's" left, so it's time to draw a line between these two kinds of games. IMO.

hoochimama

Liturgist
The Witcher 1 was pretty slow-paced, if the sequel is similar it won't sit well with the Halo crowd who sees "Action RPG" with nice graphics and expects ME2.

Rhalle

Magister
bonescraper said:
Volourn said:
It should be pointed out that being called an Action RPG is not an insult but a simple classificication. Sounds like they are being really defensive. LMFAO
It's an insult when you put games like Diablo, Sacred and Torchlight in the same bag as Risen, Divinity, The Witcher or your beloved Bioturds. Anyways, today we don't have any "hardcore RPG's" left, so it's time to draw a line between these two kinds of games. IMO.

You're right, but there really isn't any difference between those.

I mean, pacing?

Has actual words instead of just colors or icons where the text should be?

One marketing department talks more about story than about the badass arsenal and the cover system?

Monocause

Arcane
Rhalle said:
You're right, but there really isn't any difference between those.

What? You're seriously saying that Risen or TW have something in common with Diablo clones aside from the most obvious features?

Archibald

Arcane
What? You're seriously saying that Risen or TW have something in common with Diablo clones aside from the most obvious features?

Even throwing Divine Divinity into same bag as Diablo clones is wrong imo.

made

Arcane
Volourn said:

Bullshit. Witcher is good solid hardcore RPG. Deal with it. Moron.

Imbecile

Arbiter
made said:
Volourn said:

Bullshit. Witcher is good solid hardcore RPG. Deal with it. Moron.

OK, I'm happy to call the Witcher "good", and even "solid", but what makes it "hardcore" rather than "Action"? And are those two things always mutually exclusive?

relootz

Scholar
Volourn said:

bullshit

Risine

Liturgist
Come on guys, give them a chance! We haven't seen such an interesting and devoted developer since Black Isle and Troika, and they are far away from Bioware and Beteshda marketing mentality.
Besides, the only clues they gave us about the game are about C&C , and it looks like more than promising, considering bullshit C&C in recent "similar" games.
As long as I'm concerned, I'm sure it will be an excellent RPG, with maybe too much of this, and not enough of that, but good enough to make me forget the pitiful RPG offer we have had for years now.

Castanova

Prophet
I can't wait to experience this amazing tale they've constructed. I've grown weary of reading through all the classics of literature and it'd really be a great change of pace to spend 20 hours on a fantasy story written by untrained nerds while taking some time along the way to break-dance fight enemies.

racofer

Thread Incliner
Notice how only the Codex says it out loud :smug:

jshh0x.jpg

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"It's an insult when you put games like Diablo, Sacred and Torchlight in the same bag as Risen, Divinity, The Witcher or your beloved Bioturds. Anyways, today we don't have any "hardcore RPG's" left, so it's time to draw a line between these two kinds of games. IMO."

Cry all you want The Witcher is an Action RPG. The way the combat and skill system works makes it so. btw, I like Bloodlines and it's an Action RPG as well.

btw, Diablo is not so easy to put in since stats heavily influence the combat there so the argument could be made that it's a rpg in the same way that the IE games/NWN/RT Arcanum is.

Diablo was an okay game. Sacred was boring afterawhile. Never played Torchlight nor do i intend to. Risen is mad eby the same shits that made the overrated Gothics right? Divinity and Witcher both suck.

None of this matters. The Witcher is an Action RPG. iIt's quality is irrelevant.

:x

made

Arcane
U just mad coz Biowhore makes games for fags instead of hardcore RPGs.

Monocause

Arcane
Volourn said:
Cry all you want The Witcher is an Action RPG. The way the combat and skill system works makes it so. btw, I like Bloodlines and it's an Action RPG as well.

The ARPG term is too vague. TW and Bloodlines relied on story, Risen relied on exploration. Diablo had neither of these, no real plot, no exploration, no real characters, not even a single line of dialogue (as opposed to several available lines of monologue that are serving as an excuse for the player to keep on hacking).

On the other hand, Diablo has an intricate loot system as one of the core gameplay pillars while there is no real 'loot' per se in the three aforementioned games, with TW being quite extreme in that matter (choice of equipment is pitiful).

The games use different mechanics and the core gameplay is simply different. I'd just go for "story-driven RPG" in case of TW and "exploration-driven RPG" in case of the Gothic series and Risen. It's clunky but it's much, much better than a worthless category like "ARPG" into which you can fit so many extremely different titles that it simply doesn't work as classification any better than classifying someone you know as "middle-aged guy" when asking around to find him.

bonescraper

Volourn said:
Bullshit.
The Witcher is an ARPG just like let's say... Sacred, right? Same mechanics, same focus etc?

I'm not crying about anything, especially about The Witcher. But, as Monocause said, the Action RPG term is pretty vague by today's standards. Unfortunately, you won't see a mainstream [insert your favourite hardcore rpg here] type of game anymore. Today's RPGs (if you still want to call them that way) have already been blended with action games in one way or another. Deal with it.

So with that in mind, a clearer line should be drawn between combat/lewt/stat centered games and games focused on story and C&C. That's my whole point.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom