Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

homeworld 1/2

Subhuman

Liturgist
Hell, I thought the first one was too hard.

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
xemous said:
Hard games are good, because easy ones sure as fuck arnt.

You know, I don't like my games easy. What's the point in that? I have a friend who buys all these video games and doesn't even fucking hesitate in cheating. Right out of the box and he activates cheat codes, rapes the game, then either loans it to me or sells it at a used game store. Where's the fun in that shit? Fuck me if that isn't just lame. But, oh well, he wants to waste his money, that's fine with me. I get access to alot of games I wouldn't normally from him so I won't complain to his face. :P

On the flip-side, however, I don't like my games so fucking hard that I start karate chopping my monitor and pulling hair out while cursing to make a sailor blush. I've rarely encountered games that have done this, but they do exist. HW2 was one of them. After the twentieth time of doing the same mission over and over and over again, thinking "Yes! I can do it this time!" only to have the game pull out the KY and go to town on my ass, I said hell no. I play games to have fun, not get frustated to the point I want to kill.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Somehow I never get so frustrated about the difficulty of any games. If a game is too difficult, it is always connected with repetivity; thus too difficult games just tend to bore me.

Hajo

Liturgist
Most games support a difficulty settings.
Problems start if the "easy" setting is unbeatable or the "hard" setting is still cookie cutting.

Homeworld was ok for me. I think it satys my all-time favorite, in regard to the feeling of the game. It made me lough and cry, sometimes feeling lost and finally feeling like a hero.

I can't try Homeworld 2, because my PC is too old/weak.

Fez

Erudite
That was another problem with DoW, the campaign difficulty settings were far too easy. The skirmish AI can put up a decent fight on the higher levels, but they never let the campaign AI loose to pressure the player much. If they'd used some more of the skirmish AI in the higher difficulty level campaign it could have been much better. Thankfully it seems the AI is not too difficult to edit and some modders are working on it now.

Severian Silk

I actually do a lot of Homeworld 2 modding. I was trying to mod it into an RPG, but can't seem to figure out the necessary code to do so.

Flink

Liturgist
Anyone that's seen the awesome screens from "Freespace: A new age for Homeworld"? Fantastic stuff. Freespace ships/models in the HW2 engine. Practicly orgasmic. :D

water_21876.jpg

Terran/Vasudan Battle

http://www.game-warden.com/fsna/

Spazmo

Erudite
Sweet. Are there any screens with Shivan ships, particularly the Juggernauts from FS2? I'd love to see that one.

On the other hand, though, one of the things that made the Shivan Fucking Huge ships really scary was first that they were black against the black of space and thus looked doubleplus menacing. On top of that, they were so huge that if you were reasonably close to them in a fighter, you could only really see a little part of the ship, but it still filled up your canopy, which made for some "oh shit" moments when you couldn't even get an idea of what this big black horrible thing was, just that it was enormous and wanted to kill you.

fnordcircle

Liturgist
Frowning at my monitor as I read your dumb post.
I love HW2 never played HW1. I come back to it every couple months for my space fix and, invariably, it makes me sign back up to play Eve for a month.

Couple of things:

I know a couple of my friends who are hardcore RTSers that got frustrated with the level of difficulty in HW2.
The difficulty for each single player mission, assuming that's what you are talking about here, scales with the force you end the previous one. So if you finish with a full force expect an enemy force that is that much bigger. For some missions you are almost better off scuttling your fleet at the very end.

Also I believe the comment about not being able to harvest destroyed battleships because the mission ends is false. You get a 'Resources Collected' at the end of every mission and your starting resources for the next map reflects this.

Spazmo

Erudite
I only had to scuttle my fleet once to get a manageable enemy force in the next mission (Balcora Gate). I remember jumping into that place with a full fleet, everything maxed out. Suddenly I get attacked with two or three enemy battlecruisers and a healthy helping of frigates. That was already pretty intense, but of course I managed to spank it. Then I go to attack the gate and I see a force of NINE ENEMY FUCKING BATTLECRUISERS. Late in the game in Homeworld 2, the background music tends to get augmented by a steady beat of the "frigate lost" message (enemies go for frigates first--fine by me, leave my BCs alone), but it was being fast-fowarded here.

And I'm sure I told this same story on the first page of this thread. Eerie symmetry.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Anyone tried star wolves? I couldn't really get into hw1/2 but star wolves took many hours of my life away. It has great graphics, a pilot skill tree, less ships to command and a shitload of quests/missions to do. I loved it, especially the mercenary feel it had.

Saran

Scholar
Trash said:
Anyone tried star wolves? I couldn't really get into hw1/2 but star wolves took many hours of my life away. It has great graphics, a pilot skill tree, less ships to command and a shitload of quests/missions to do. I loved it, especially the mercenary feel it had.

I tried the demo myself, but the VO's grated my nerves so i didnt bother getting the full game, a shame really, the controls and graphics were decent enough, and it didnt appear to be too difficult, but sitting through hours of shitty VO for what was really nothing more than an ok game wasnt worth it.

Fez said:
In the end it could have been a great game, all it needed was some love. :cry:

That pretty much sums up HW2 perfectly, storywise it was trounced by both HW and HW:Cataclysm.

I will say one good thing about it though, while its auto balance system sometimes made the game nearly impossible, the last mission in HW was just plain impossible, everytime i started it my mothership was wiped out by a massive fleet that came from both above and below the mothership, in the end i just gave up and watched the final cutscene using WMP. :oops:

Grifman

Liturgist
Fez said:
I've seen multiple waves of up to fourteen battleships (plus support ships) coming in on some levels. The worst part is once you have completed the mission you can't harvest the shipwrecks, resulting in a big loss.

I thought resources were harvested automatically at the end of each scenario, or did that not include shipwrecks?

Grifman

Liturgist
fnordcircle said:
Also I believe the comment about not being able to harvest destroyed battleships because the mission ends is false. You get a 'Resources Collected' at the end of every mission and your starting resources for the next map reflects this.

Yes, I remember it that way also.

Fez

Erudite
Shipwrecks are not included in the auto-harvest. It has been checked by modders and there were complaints on the old HW2 forum about it. It was just another problem, like the bad balancing, in the cursed and crippled game.

Avé

Liturgist
PDS sounded and looked awesome, but it played like crap.

roguefrog

Liturgist
Trash said:
the last mission in HW was just plain impossible, everytime i started it my mothership was wiped out by a massive fleet that came from both above and below the mothership, in the end i just gave up and watched the final cutscene using WMP. :oops:

I'm pretty sure you had to capture a metric assload of Ion Frigates two missions prior (the one with the giant planet size sphere of Ion Frigates) in order to beat the last mission.

I did and the last mission was still insane hard, but beatable with such a large concerntation of ion beams.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
HW1 is much much better for the main campaign, except yeah, some parts were excessively hard. Usually it was worthwhile to reclaim your fleet before you moved to the next mission, then quickly rebuild. Also, the 3d-ness of it was interesting at first, but then it just became a hassle. Homeworld 2, all of it's music had this backbeat of "frigate destroyed...frigate destroyed..."
Frigates were so frickin fragile, worthless...
It was all fighters+corvettes+destroyers

My main complaint with both games: SLOW. Just too frickin slow.

Oh, and no, it doesn't include debris, just the mineral resources.

bryce777

Erudite
The most annoying thing in homeworld 2 is that they cripple the ability of salvage corvettes to be useful. Actually, they do that in cataclysm, I suppose.

that was where homeworld 1 shone.

I can understand a limit on ships, but at least for THAT mission you should be able to steal them. Otherwise it is impossible to get any ships that waya nd they're pointless, though I admit having 200 medium cruisers for the final battle in the first one was a little crazy.

roguefrog

Liturgist
Salvage corvettes were still viable in Cataclysm, ACTUALLY they were juiced IIRC. You didn't have to drag the ship back to the mothership. It will tractor beam a ship and put it under your control in seconds...unless I'm forgetting something...

Did you have to damage it first or something, I might be thinking of a different game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom