Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Why modern gaming sucks (according to the Escapist)

waywardOne

Arcane
the forums are more fun than the games.

Sisay

Liturgist
Zomg said:
I thought the budget stuff was conventional Codex wisdom. It was in like 2007 anyway, I guess we haven't repeated ourselves sufficiently since then.

Exactly. This article seems like a poor rewrite of an article Greg Costikyan wrote five years ago. Back when (for a relatively short time) the Escapist was something you would read instead of a funny videos site.

Death to the Games Industry, Part I
Death to the Games Industry, Part II

DraQ

Arcane
It seems that I have no choice, but to reply with Firewine - it auto-wins the argument, ignores all resistances and immunities and there is no saving throw.
:smug:

This single dungeon exposes all the potential iso has for shitting over the gameplay.

Of course, you can highlight hotspots with one colour, loot with another, obscured walkable area with some entirely different one, obscured allies and enemies with a pair of contrasting ones and end up with a fucking christmas tree on your screen.

You can solve those problems by going 3D, or reverting to overhead 2D, but there will still be problems with inability to create environments with a lot of Z-axis. There is also the issue with the representation of the gameplay area being 2D and fairly imprecise in 2D games - see Fallout retarded grenades and the reason behind them being, that the game area representation was not precise enough to allow meaningful implementation of throwing skill involving explosives, unless it exaggerated failures to the point where unskilled character handled grenades worse than a two years old.

I'm not saying that 2D can't be absolutely fucking gorgeous, or that it isn't useful. However, it is not nearly as universal as 3D, and may force you into bad design or shitty gameplay if applied in a wrong way or place.

Hence people going "2D betturz than 3D hurr durr 3D is popamole" come off far more retarded than even the most impaired enthusiasts of bloom and level scaling. Yes, I mean those who wrote the articles on roleplaying on UESP.

Nex

Cipher
DraQ said:
Awor Szurkrarz said:
Rogue said:
Awor Szurkrarz said:
herostratus said:
And for where the money goes, it goes to graphics
Good, I never liked where the post-Fallout/Baldur's Gate game graphics went. Now there's more ammunition against them.

I agree completely. Baldur's Gate, Fallout 1&2, Red Alert 1 etc. is fine. I don't really want more from graphics. I mean it's supposed to be a game, so what's wrong with using your imagination?
It's not even like these games actually required using imagination. Baldur's Gate and Fallout basically reached a very satisfying graphics style which needed only upgrading screen resolution. The same with Command & Conquer: Tiberian Sun.
Fallout, IE games, etc. do look good, but upping resoultion also requires upping the detail, or you'll end up with Arcanum. Making games this way also fails to utilize extra processing power and potential for better mechanics (not that going 3D automatically improves the mechanics, mind you, but it does open opportunities), while straining the memory.
Finally, every person remembering clicking furiously for out-of-sight doors in IE, or scanning the walls for obscured loot should welcome the transition to 3D (or reverting to overhead).

Of course, improving graphics beyond functionality and basic aesthetics as main focus of development yields obvious results and they aren't pretty (pun fully intended).

In the IE games you can simply hold tab and it will highlight the loot containers

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
2D games usually look great but no fucker is gonna spend £30-40 quid on a game with graphics like that.

2D of that caliber still takes a shitload of time and effort, so much so you may as well spend a little extra and go all the way.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BRO DRAQ YOU ARE FEELING THE CALL OF MY DARKSIDE LOLLOLLOL

2D IS ALWAYS BETTER BECASUE 3D IS WHAT RUINED GAMING ALONG WITH LADY GAGA

BUT THE POSTER ABOVE GETS TO THE ESCAPIZTS GUYS POINT THAT HE DOESNT WANT JUST GAMES OF HIS GENRE HE WANTS AAA SUPER HIGHBUDJET BLOOMFEST 35M,ILLION DOLLAR GAMES IN HIS GENRE

BROS WOULDNT IT BE FUNNY IF WE GREW OUT OF A JUNIOR HIGH MENTALITY AND REALIZED THE MASS MARKET WOULD NEVER SATISFY NICHE TASTES LOOLOLLOLLOL

BROS WHO AM I KIDDING SHEEPLE ARE FAGS FUCK THEM I AM SMART CAUSE I AM REALLY INTO CRPGS

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
DraQ said:
It seems that I have no choice, but to reply with Firewine - it auto-wins the argument, ignores all resistances and immunities and there is no saving throw.

This single dungeon exposes all the potential iso has for shitting over the gameplay.
The Glow, Vault 15, Necropolis, Candlekeep, etc. etc. etc. begs you to differ.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
DraQ said:
Even many 2D games use pre-rendered 3D as sprites.

Yup, all the good looking ones anyway. or fucking clay models like in doom and Blood. Gives the game a unique look (that i love) but let's be fucking honest here, no one is ever going to make a game like that again. They resorted to that sort of thing because of hardware limitations.

PorkaMorka

Arcane
Well, Avernum somehow made enough money to get 5 sequels, despite graphics that are being both low spec and horrible quality. It makes you wonder why there are so few indie games with similarly low spec 2d.

Note that you can have extremely low spec 2d, yet still look vastly more attractive and professional than Avernum series.

And it's not hard to find internet people capable of doing nice 2d graphics.

2je1df9.gif

:incline:

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Looks like a Goldbox remake but without a box.

PorkaMorka said:
Well, Avernum somehow made enough money to get 5 sequels, despite graphics that are being both low spec and horribly quality. It makes you wonder why there are so few indie games with similarly low spec 2d.

Note that you can have extremely low spec 2d, yet still look vastly more attractive and professional than Avernum series.
True. My dream cRPG is low spec 2d with great graphics (using c64 palette), great combat, with Wasteland-style skill use and Fallout-style dialogues.

PorkaMorka

Arcane
waywardOne said:
the game has a goddamn "win" button.

Assuming it works the same as in the original Forgotten Realms Unlimited Adventures game then

The "WIN" button shows up when you're designing a level and go into the testing mode and test a battle that you designed.

So you can quickly get out after testing what you needed to test.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom