Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News The Beauty of Black and Gold

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Deus Ex: Human Revolution; Eidos Montreal

<p>Learn why Deus Ex: Human Revolution looks <a href="http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=267446" target="_blank">black & gold</a>.</p>
<blockquote>
<p>Ever wondered why every single Deus Ex: Human Revolution screenshot and video is clad in black and gold overtones? Of course you have. That's why when we got a chance to speak to art director, Jonathan Jacques-Belletête, we asked him just that...<br /><br />"Okay, so that was just one day... one picture. I think it was like a Sunday, and I saw this black and gold advert - I have no idea what it was. But it just struck me - this could be a great palette, it's never really been used in videogames. It was great for communication, packaging, bags so on," Jacques-Belletête explained.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.rpgwatch.com/#15876">RPGWatch</a></p>

Malachi

Liturgist
This provides a beautiful answer to an unasked question: "Why do video games cost tens of millions of dollars more to produce than they used to, yet somehow have inferior gameplay?"

The answer seems to be that money is spent on personnel who come up with color schemes. Obv. very important in a video game.

Aikanaro

Liturgist
Malachi said:
This provides a beautiful answer to an unasked question: "Why do video games cost tens of millions of dollars more to produce than they used to, yet somehow have inferior gameplay?"

The answer seems to be that money is spent on personnel who come up with color schemes. Obv. very important in a video game.

I can understand why The Codex hates a huge focus on graphics ... but when did that extend to hating art direction? Colour scheme is kind of important.

Project: Eternity
I doubt the game would have been much cheaper if they hadn't gone with the black-and-gold color scheme. Someone still has to model all the crap sitting around in the world, chairs and tables and general knick-knacks. Do they design that sort of stuff all new every time a new game is made? I'm guessing yes just so that the general art style is the same for all objects.

Elzair

Cipher
Seriously, WTF?! What the hell was wrong with the blue and grey colors of the original two (at least those were the prominent colors on the two boxes)? Jesus, this game is going to suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck!

Achilles

Arcane
It isn't a bad color scheme, I think it suits the game well. The color scheme is not my main concern, the main game is.

mikaelis

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
Alexandros said:
It isn't a bad color scheme, I think it suits the game well. The color scheme is not my main concern, the main game is.

This. Only whiners and retards will complain about the color scheme if the game is actually good. And along the same line - who the fuck will care if the core gameplay/story etc. is utter shit.

Rhalle

Magister
If they were at all literary, they would have made the primary colors lead-- and gold. It would have fit the theme of transhumanism perfectly. :smug:

deuxhero said:
But when's the last last time a good game had only 2 colors?

You know that there's a difference between a colour scheme and how many colours you're using, don't you?

Most films have a 1-3 'colour scheme', and for games a 2-colour 'scheme' is pretty standard.

It isn't the sum total of the colours you're using, more the main colours that should stand out from the screen/page. So with a blue/green scheme, there'd be lots of blue sky shots, lots of foilage, lots of green shirts and blue jeans, etc. Often with both films and games, it will refer to the general 'filter'/tinge of the shot. For a really ultra-obvious example, look at Ang Lee's films, or any Chinese period film in the last 10 years. Gratuitous use of coloured filter effects.

Usually you won't notice unless you're looking for it, unless it's either done badly, or (as in some of Ang Lee's work - others he just fucks it up) to create a non-naturalistic / fantastical feel to the shots.

Then if you want something to look out of place, or just ultra-noticeable, you might throw in a really red filter over the shot, so that it clashes with the green/blue tinge you've had going for most of it.

As for an example of a really noticeable black/gold colour scheme that also worked really well: Bladerunner.

Azrael the cat said:
deuxhero said:

You know that there's a difference between a colour scheme and how many colours you're using, don't you?

Most films have a 1-3 'colour scheme', and for games a 2-colour 'scheme' is pretty standard.

It isn't the sum total of the colours you're using, more the main colours that should stand out from the screen/page. So with a blue/green scheme, there'd be lots of blue sky shots, lots of foilage, lots of green shirts and blue jeans, etc. Often with both films and games, it will refer to the general 'filter'/tinge of the shot. For a really ultra-obvious example, look at Ang Lee's films, or any Chinese period film in the last 10 years. Gratuitous use of coloured filter effects.

Usually you won't notice unless you're looking for it, unless it's either done badly, or (as in some of Ang Lee's work - others he just fucks it up) to create a non-naturalistic / fantastical feel to the shots.

Then if you want something to look out of place, or just ultra-noticeable, you might throw in a really red filter over the shot, so that it clashes with the green/blue tinge you've had going for most of it.

As for an example of a really noticeable black/gold colour scheme that also worked really well: Bladerunner.

Edit: personally, I'm a bit skeptical about it working well in a game. You're playing a game for many more hours than you watch a film, and I think that black/gold might simply get too...dreary.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Azrael the cat said:
Edit: personally, I'm a bit skeptical about it working well in a game. You're playing a game for many more hours than you watch a film, and I think that black/gold might simply get too...dreary.

Why? Deus Ex was mostly grey and blue. Fallout 1 and 2 had brown and grey. Thief was grey and brown. It didn't really hurt those games.

Destroid

Arcane
humanrevolution.png

Over 9000 hours!

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
Azrael the cat said:
deuxhero said:

codex hasn't heard of the colour wheel apparently.

deuxhero

Arcane
commie said:
Azrael the cat said:

Why? Deus Ex was mostly grey and blue. Fallout 1 and 2 had brown and grey. Thief was grey and brown. It didn't really hurt those games.

Deus Ex only used blue for super tech stuff (Nanoaugs, power, parts of the mech augs, Morpheus and Deadalus ect) and grey for things made of concrete or look like they were purchased in bulk (where you would see the tone in real life), not every fucking light and texture. :x

Zeus

Cipher
blues-ex.jpg

My, what a distinctive color palette. Now where have I seen something like that before?

orange-and-blue.jpg

Ah yes, now I remember. :obviously:

Topher

Cipher
thesheeep said:
It is not rare in the world, but I can't remember having played a game with that scheme.

The blade runner game but I don't remember the colors very well. I know that one of the levels in Phantom Dust had a similar color scheme.

Topher

Cipher
made said:
thesheeep said:
It is not rare in the world, but I can't remember having played a game with that scheme.
I do.

per_01_title.png

per_02_introdetail1.png

per_13_misc.png

Nice.

* I still want to see what the hell these were supposed to be dammit.

** Odd. They show up now but only when I copy the image URL to a new tab and come back?!? I guess I was the only one who couldn't see them?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom