Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CiV (Demo) is out

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Just defeated Bismarck. He had about 15- 20 guided missiles and was on an isle... Of course he nearly fully controlled it. He tried true and efficient tactic, fire missile swarms against approaching ships. *1 AFAIK his AI is only one that isn't broken.

So it's 3-5 BB, 2 CG, 2 SS, and 1 CV (with two fighters and one bomber) down so far. The only reason why Persians didn't blasted out any ship was because they were nuked before I approached theirs capital. They used only one guided missile in two occasions.

It looks like AI is doing even some target prioritization. I had BB, CG, and DD close, they destroyed BB and CG first.

*1 See this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFldBVWFgWo

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Erm, Bismarck tends to die quickly in all my games. I wouldnt be that sure about his AI unless he is also programmed to be a rabid wardog.

But yes, that picture with Ghandi sums it well. Even he is an insane warmonger now.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Are you playing on a large map with a lot of islands?

BTW AI was allegedly toothless before the first patch. Then they increased aggressiveness.

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
I deinstalled in disgust.

It lost like everything which made civ popular, going the "accessibility" route down the drain of mediocrity. Hell, it even manages to look worse than Civ 4.

They had plenty of time, they had plenty of great civ 4 mods to study, they had access to great terrain gfx (Total Realism mod) and whatnot, yet firaxis comes up with such an abomination. What the glorious fuck?

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Mortmal said:
Lesifoere said:
So... it's impossible to totally avoid combat in Civ 5, eh?

2rwm2i0.png

It sums it very well...

HA_HA_HA,_OH_WOW.jpg

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Ghandi as a leader should be able to declare wars (IRL he was more of a fascist really) but here the problem is overall agression of competitors.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Raghar said:
Are you playing on a large map with a lot of islands?

BTW AI was allegedly toothless before the first patch. Then they increased aggressiveness.

No, since time immemorial I always play pangea maps (AI always sucks at others so they are way easier).

And they overdid agression, surely this wasnt their intention at all.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
coldcrow said:
I deinstalled in disgust.

It lost like everything which made civ popular, going the "accessibility" route down the drain of mediocrity. Hell, it even manages to look worse than Civ 4.

They had plenty of time, they had plenty of great civ 4 mods to study, they had access to great terrain gfx (Total Realism mod) and whatnot, yet firaxis comes up with such an abomination. What the glorious fuck?

Its obvious that they were catering to other target audiences than mods. How many players visit game forums? How many post there and use mods? Why do You even think its a good idea to follow some modders? Its, unfortunately, all about selling as much copies as possible, and they acheived that.

At the expense of us, more demanding players.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Biggest Issues so far with the game:
1. Horsemen being too overpowered.
Made worse if you took Greece and access Companion Cavalry. 5 Movements is overpowered. King's difficulty and above can still be dominated with 3-4 Horsemen running amok, plundering and capturing workers. Spearmen isn't good enough, coupled with the AI, good game.

2. Tricky diplomacy
Vague words and totally irrational hostility. I liberated Napoleon's capital and he called me a warmonger. I was doing fine and suddenly Elizabeth called my military puny. How am I supposed to react to that? The dialogue made no sense. Are you here to taunt me or are you trying to hint at making a trade deal?

3. Poor combined arms AI.
Saw AI leaving artillery on the field unprotected at least 3-5 times in a game today. It would be nice if the Riflemen took pains to form a line with the arty on the core of the formation, but nooooo. Let's park it up a hill, set up, shoot once and get it destroyed by a cavalry next turn.

4. Poor tech. optimization.
Was behind tech. due to wars mid-game. I kept seeing Arabs grabbing wonders at alarming rate. I thought I'd be in trouble so I focused on unlocking the Mech. Infantry instead of working my way to the traditional rifling etc. It worked too well. When I got to him he was still using Cavalry and Riflemen. 20 Turns later I got my first atom bomb. Bye bye Mecca.

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Are you here to taunt me or are you trying to hint at making a trade deal?

I believe the taunting happens when the ai would normally declare war, but it has a pact of cooperation in place or a defensive pact so they want you to declare war on them so they don't suffer a reputation hit or lose the pact by declaring war.

spectre

Arcane
1. Horsemen being too overpowered.
Made worse if you took Greece and access Companion Cavalry. 5 Movements is overpowered. King's difficulty and above can still be dominated with 3-4 Horsemen running amok, plundering and capturing workers. Spearmen isn't good enough, coupled with the AI, good game.

Similar here, only I think its the artillery that's OP. Or maybe not OP, the AI just doesn't know how to use it and/or counter it.
To be frank, cavalry domination is something I would consider at least semi-accurate.

4. Poor tech. optimization.
I'd say the techs are fine, only the wonders and buildings suck serious cock. I feel no incentive whatsoever to build 90% of them.

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
Why would I think it is a good idea to follow *some* modders?

Give me a break: there are plenty of objectively very good mods which elevate the already good game.

- FFH2 + Wildmana
- Better AI
- Rise of Mankind
- Total Realism
- Planetfall
- BUG

to just cite the most outstanding.

Of course they wanted to go the console-money-grab route, like almost every game these days. It doesn't mean that there is no substantial population of gamers who do not want that. Obviously someone decided that they are not the target pop group.
Yet I don't have to come with apologisms for this and try to find good needles in a haystack full of mediocre, half-assed bullcrap.

MapMan

Arcane
So I played a little. I havnt finished a game yet because I keep restarting. So right now im playing as the persian empire, huge world (12 players) on continets like map. I started in a pretty good place and thought to expand fast this time. So I did. Right now im about 600 AD and I have no idea how you people progress so fast. I expanded to 5 cities, got simultaneously attacked by china and aztec empire. I was aiming for a scientific win... The ai doesnt want to trade shit with me unless I give them like 3 times more than they do. I play on normal difficulty.

Luan

Educated
Restarted my Deity game due to it being trivialized by ancient ruins. A single stack of Mechanized Infantry rampaging through their empires @ 0 AD was not very exciting.

So I restarted the game with ruins disabled and i'm actually enjoying the challenge. I've made it to the industrial era around 1000 AD and i'm generally on par with all the other major powers. Early in the game I saved up great scientists and social policies so I could slingshot to the renaissance and burn the policies on Rationalism for the 2 free tech upgrades. This let me produce rifleman earlier than the diety AI and I was able to conquer one of the larger civilizations. Despite this, the other powers are retardedly large with obscene resources. I've got another 4 scientists saved up in case someone declares war to slingshot any other military tech.

Also in all 3 games, Hiawatha has been a beast.

MapMan

Arcane
Luan said:
Restarted my Deity game due to it being trivialized by ancient ruins. A single stack of Mechanized Infantry rampaging through their empires @ 0 AD was not very exciting.

So I restarted the game with ruins disabled and i'm actually enjoying the challenge. I've made it to the industrial era around 1000 AD and i'm generally on par with all the other major powers. Early in the game I saved up great scientists and social policies so I could slingshot to the renaissance and burn the policies on Rationalism for the 2 free tech upgrades. This let me produce rifleman earlier than the diety AI and I was able to conquer one of the larger civilizations. Despite this, the other powers are retardedly large with obscene resources. I've got another 4 scientists saved up in case someone declares war to slingshot any other military tech.

Also in all 3 games, Hiawatha has been a beast.

How? :retarded:

Self-Ejected

ScottishMartialArts

Self-Ejected
Wow, barbarians are aggressive and deadly on emperor. It's a good thing it's a Huge map and all the other civs started far away, because I would not have been able to keep up with the barbarian siege and an ancient/classical era war with another civ. It's pretty cool though, seeing as how my start was a heavily forested area on the border of the continent's southern tundra. It all makes me feel like I'm trying to hack out an existence in some cold, frozen land, surrounded by hostile natives. I'm 85 turns in and only have 2 cities, but my army is nicely developed and has secured the region for development. Pretty fun, even I do call bullshit on a couple of my units dying to inferior barbs.

RK47

Patron
Well all I have to say Greek is broken. Not talking about the unique ability. His unique units are superior to its class and both are so low on the tech tree it isn't funny. I played Standard Map and wiped out 3 civs already with an army of five hoplites with Great General. Followed by 2-3 companion calvary, it's unstoppable.

The terrible AI just never prepared for an invasion of that scale, this is on King difficulty btw. By the time I knocked on his door, Gandhi was still busy constructing an Oracle, and Japan was finishing his Great Lighthouse, thanks for the free wonders, dudes!

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Well the earlier unique units come the better they are, this was always the rule in all civs. So Persian immortals>>panzers and Greeks are generally excellent for easy conquests. Try Romans too, they rock with legions and ballistae.

Of course AI being retardedly easy to beat doesnt help really.

RK47

Patron
I think I'm spoiled with the lots of balancing effort they made in Civ IV. But honestly I never thought I'd master the game so quickly. In less than a week I've moved from Prince, King and even beating Emperor without really trying hard. It always ended when the nearest rival is one tech tree away from you. There's no way they can catch up. Not with the way Research Pact works now. It takes too long to co-operate. They really need a better pact mechanic than a long term random reward from a lump sum investment. Maybe a research agreement that costs both nations gold per turn but grants 20% science production or something would help.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Its not random, always 30 turns IIRC. I always sign it with the weaker AIs, gifting them gold if necessary. After all there is no sense in buffing the strong ones.

This is also why its a good idea to 'farm' defeated enemies in one city 'empires'. Protect them from harm and gift gold for research agreements. Especially since crushing them somehow seems to make them dislike You less than just being neighbors...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom